PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: alltel/vzw

Ron M is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Ron M
Re: [JUL 12] *11 Radios Available* Updated Touch Pro CDMA Radio Archive Thread

-100 is less than -50. Higher is better.[/quote]

so..for example............
worse strength -100 -90 -80 -70 -60 -50 -40 -30 -20 -10 better strength

im not saying you will ever get as good as -10 is just an example -60s to -50s is the best ive ever seen

Last edited by Ron M; 07-14-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380
Carrier: Sprint

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

I've been particular to the US Cellular radio after the first time flashing I would get a GPS lock in my basement, with no direct line of sight to any window, in about three seconds. It also runs cooler than the early Sprint radios and rivals the Telus radios in signal quality. I also noticed that with the Sprint radios (barring the 1.11.00F because I don't recall), you are only able to obtain a maximum of 8 satellites maximum, while with others you can obtain the max of 10 on the device.

Now I'm going to try the 1.12.31F from Cellular South and see what I can do. Note I just got a new (refurb, but still manufactured in Feb) Sprint TP yesterday so I'm tinkering.

And if anyone wants to know what SMV is, it stands for Selectable Mode Vocoder, and it is a newer voice codec than EVRC, which is what carriers use currently. It isn't as new as the 4GV standard EVRC-B or EVRC-WB, but it has noticeably better call quality than EVRC while being more bandwidth efficient. EVRC-B is even more bandwidth efficient with higher call quality than EVRC, but in most opinions isn't as good as SMV. EVRC-WB (WB stands for WideBand) is the sister codec to EVRC-B and is a 4GV standard, but I haven't tested it much and the only way to enable it is through QPST. I haven't had much luck with the TP and EVRC-WB and Qualcomm won't say exactly what MSM chipsets support it. Let's just say I need to test EVRC-WB more to say it is useable. If it is, then it would be the preferrable vocoder to use.

To enable SMV, you need to punch in ##PST#, select edit, put in your MSL, and select CDMA settings under the "View info" menu. Set EVRC Enabled to "Disable," set Home Page to "SMV," and set Home Orig to "SMV." Roam Orig is optional and you can use EVRC or SMV, but to avoid any problems when roaming, I'd advise keeping it set to Voice 13K.

Last edited by Mutiny32; 07-14-2009 at 04:28 PM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagual View Post
In terms of absolute mathematical value, yes, -100 is less than -50.

But in terms of your phone radio, absolutely not. A few hundred feet from a cell tower my signal level is now -68 dbm with all 6 bars.

At home where I've had missed calls, delayed texts and VMs, I get anywhere from about -88 to -96 dbm. There's the proven example.
Well, yes and no. -50dBm is generally better than -100dBm, but the SNR is really what gives you signal quality.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by strra View Post
by the way, i quoted a beginner's FAQ from xda-developers on post 4
couldyou PLEASE add that to post#1 we need to give users as much info on the first page as possible. ASSUMEING they actually read.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:19 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus
Threadstarter

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorloves View Post
thank you very much for doing that Strra. Very much needed. Lets hope people read it. Can you add it to post one? I think it would obviously get much more exposure there. Thanks bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_maniac View Post
couldyou PLEASE add that to post#1 we need to give users as much info on the first page as possible. ASSUMEING they actually read.
done.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny32 View Post
Well, yes and no. -50dBm is generally better than -100dBm, but the SNR is really what gives you signal quality.
Good to know. I'll be watching that number especially closely (though I would anyway) when I try the Alltel radio later on.

I only hope flashing back to a previous radio doesn't jinx anything. Anyone have an opinion on that? (Seems illogical that a subsequent flash should be any different from a previous one of the same firmware though.)
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon

JDown24 is becoming a great contributor

i have been trying to use the ##DEBUG# and i get a password screen. I tried using the default password that i use for changing the PRL but its not working. Is there a different default password for this? I really wanna check all my info before changing the radio so i can get a better idea of the best one to use where i am at.

Never mind, finally found the password, go figure, i search for an hour and finally post for some help, then i find it 5 minutes later

Just an update, if anybody else has this issue the password is 183729

Last edited by JDown24; 07-14-2009 at 06:23 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:23 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus
Threadstarter

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny32 View Post
I've been particular to the US Cellular radio after the first time flashing I would get a GPS lock in my basement, with no direct line of sight to any window, in about three seconds. It also runs cooler than the early Sprint radios and rivals the Telus radios in signal quality. I also noticed that with the Sprint radios (barring the 1.11.00F because I don't recall), you are only able to obtain a maximum of 8 satellites maximum, while with others you can obtain the max of 10 on the device.

Now I'm going to try the 1.12.31F from Cellular South and see what I can do. Note I just got a new (refurb, but still manufactured in Feb) Sprint TP yesterday so I'm tinkering.

And if anyone wants to know what SMV is, it stands for Selectable Mode Vocoder, and it is a newer voice codec than EVRC, which is what carriers use currently. It isn't as new as the 4GV standard EVRC-B or EVRC-WB, but it has noticeably better call quality than EVRC while being more bandwidth efficient. EVRC-B is even more bandwidth efficient with higher call quality than EVRC, but in most opinions isn't as good as SMV. EVRC-WB (WB stands for WideBand) is the sister codec to EVRC-B and is a 4GV standard, but I haven't tested it much and the only way to enable it is through QPST. I haven't had much luck with the TP and EVRC-WB and Qualcomm won't say exactly what MSM chipsets support it. Let's just say I need to test EVRC-WB more to say it is useable. If it is, then it would be the preferrable vocoder to use.

To enable SMV, you need to punch in ##PST#, select edit, put in your MSL, and select CDMA settings under the "View info" menu. Set EVRC Enabled to "Disable," set Home Page to "SMV," and set Home Orig to "SMV." Roam Orig is optional and you can use EVRC or SMV, but to avoid any problems when roaming, I'd advise keeping it set to Voice 13K.
that's all incredibly difficult to read, but thanks for that because i was wondering what dcd was talking about
side note: does the fact that when i seen "smv" i thought "shadowmoon valley" make me a nerd?

Last edited by strra; 07-14-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro> EVO

tx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to tx_jaycee

Is there a way to tell what's the latest radio added? Is it worth showing the date the radio was added?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:06 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_jaycee View Post
Is there a way to tell what's the latest radio added? Is it worth showing the date the radio was added?
the date someone found, extracted, or posted the radios here would have no relation to the date at which they were compiled by htc, so i dont see how that info would be useful.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development