PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
ThreeFaces

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: |HERM|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Warhawk' (23016) ** | Built Aug 11 | w Manila 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon87 View Post
So, when you hard reset, do you use clear storage or actually, press the 3 buttons.. ? Does it matter?
With a post flash hard reset, I've read a few sources that suggest using "Wipe Device" over the hardware keys, so I've stuck to that since it hasn't really failed me. When I do a pre-flash hard reset, I use the buttons. Why? ...superstition.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

flipper2008 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: |HERM|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Warhawk' (23016) ** | Built Aug 11 | w Manila 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzz View Post
Go a couple pages back...Askwhy posted what you need to do.

Got it.. I never used to touch world clock, it did EVIL things

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec1rxg@yahoo.com View Post
To hardreset try this; this does work follow the steps word for word:

Yes a hard reset will clear out all the crap, but it will also erase all data and Added programs.
1. Turn phone off
2.Depress center key and Volume down key and hold
3.Insert Stylus in small (soft reset ) hole in bottom of phone and hold
Hold all three until screen appears with warning on it . follow screen.

If that doesn't work try

1. Turn phone off
2. Depress center button and hold
3. Turn the phone on with the power button while holding the center button.
4. Continue holding center button until warning message appears on screen
Alright this isn't working....
Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint PCS

J.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to J.eremy Send a message via AIM to J.eremy Send a message via Yahoo to J.eremy
Post Re: |HERM|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Warhawk' (23016) ** | Built Aug 11 | w Manila 2

Ok i see people wondering why hard reset before and after an install and why flashing back to stock, hard resetting, flashing custom and hard resetting again fixes problems.

I have been doing some research on that exact question.

As far as i can tell, the differences between windows mobile 6.1 and 6.5 are allot more than just the "pretty start menu" and titanium. Windows Mobile 6.5 handles memory completely different than 6.1

Also, anyone who is a computer geek, not only a ppcgeek knows how file systems work. and when you delete something, or even format you are not in reality deleting anything... you are just deleting the reference to that file and opening the space to be written over again.
On a normal computer hard drive a "real" wipe or format can be done by doing a low level format, or on linux you can dd the drive ex "dd if=/dev/zero of /dev/hdaX"
that essentially writes the entire drive with all 0's making sure you have a clean slate to work with.

and guess what? flash storage is no different.

take this example, I had a customer format their 1gb flash card in their camera the other day by accident. they freaked out because they lost all their pictures, I took the card and put it in a card reader and ran a couple professional grade data recovery programs on it. I pulled 1.5 gigs of pictures off the card.... remember the card was only a 1gb card? some of the pictures were corrupt but the meat of them were still there. None of the pictures were corrupt that she deleted by accident, im talking about pictures that she deleted 3-4 months ago.

think of it this way, you have a cardboard box (Storage) but if you don't know what is in the box, but there is a clipboard next to the box with a list of stuff in the box. Oh look at that you have some old food in the box! So instead of doing the correct thing and removing it from the box you pick up the clipboard, and erase the old food from the list. so cosmetically its no longer in the box, but pysically you can still smell it rotting. LOL hows that for visual. now you know how your device feels.

In reality when you do a wipe storage you are doing nothing but telling the file system you dont care about all those files and deleting the reference to them.

combine the whole problem with deletion actually not deleting anything, formatting not really formatting and the fact that there is also ANOTHER area the device writes to that doesn't get touched by even "wiping" the device or doing a hardware key "hard reset" you can use your imagination of why hard resetting as much as possible, or flashing an O/S that uses the memory differently can save your *** in a bind.

If you want to completely understand why this stuff happens, i suggest you do some reading on what exactly is going on with "ESPECIALLY" windows file systems and how they store files, more importantly how they delete files. And do some reading on why "Data Recovery" works, why you are able to recover deleted files if they are truly deleted.

If you want to read a bit on the differences between memory managment in windows mobile 6.1 and 6.5 here is a link
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=544445

I dont expect the average user to understand this stuff, or even care. Long story long, just hard reset all the time if you are going to be flashing, flashing back to the stock rom is a good thing every now and then if not only because it puts stuff in different places, the more times that specific sector is written over after something is deleted the better.

and lastly, if after reading all this crap, you still think a "wipe device" or "hard reset" is completely cleaning out your device, besides not being able to see the files in the tree, then proceed to HERE and enjoy your day.

sorry for the long winded response, and if you don't care feel free to skip the post. Oh wait if your reading this its too late HAHA=D>
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

wytecaztle is keeping up the good workwytecaztle is keeping up the good work

ive flashed every rom onto my tp thats listed on this website, and ive never had a rom lock up on me where i couldnt use the phone, ive had minor issues but hve never had a problem with a rom EVER... just plashed to warhawk today... energy is by far the best rom put out, hands dosn, one reason is the four coloumn start screen, theonly thing i dont get is the wake up with the stylus, why wont this work?>???? seems pretty easy to keep that in the rom. just a suggestion, bring back the removal of stylus wakeup!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

J.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to J.eremy Send a message via AIM to J.eremy Send a message via Yahoo to J.eremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supdawg View Post
Alright this isn't working....
I posted something last night when you started to have these issues that i guess you missed
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...postcount=8160

put the phone into BOOTLOADER MODE

flash the STOCK Signed ROM
you can flash with your pc when the phones in bootloader mode.

hard reset,

flash NRG's ROM

hard reset.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

cmgj is keeping up the good workcmgj is keeping up the good work
Smile Re: |HERM|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Warhawk' (23016) ** | Built Aug 11 | w Manila 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytecaztle View Post
ive flashed every rom onto my tp thats listed on this website, and ive never had a rom lock up on me where i couldnt use the phone, ive had minor issues but hve never had a problem with a rom EVER... just plashed to warhawk today... energy is by far the best rom put out, hands dosn, one reason is the four coloumn start screen, theonly thing i dont get is the wake up with the stylus, why wont this work?>???? seems pretty easy to keep that in the rom. just a suggestion, bring back the removal of stylus wakeup!!!!!!!!!
lol
Another reason for !!!!

A few pages back...it was talked about...this is not able to be fixed and no one knows why!!! If you can find it...I am sure you will make a lot of people happy!

If I Helped you, Press Thanks!-------------|
Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM
brushrop03

Sooooo is there a benefit to hard resetting before a flash? lol
Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 PM
brushrop03

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytecaztle View Post
There are cabs that give u 4 rows for any 6.5 rom that doesnt have it and the stylus wakeup. Try gyrator for the stylus
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrop03 View Post
Try gyrator for the stylus
THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!!!!!

omg thank you that has been brewing for days
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development

Tags
sprint, touch pro