PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BROOKNAM is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Decisions...Verizon or Sprint?

who said anything about being mad...you. I never get upset with them its all part of the game. The Op stated that he didnt find Verizon to always be in unison from 1 agent to the next, i'm just advising him of the same possibilities with sprint, why...because it happens, it happened today, and a chat representative told me today that it was not company wide understood whom could recieve the price match thing going on. so I apologize if my post upset you.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

zim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
this is what i don't understand, why do you people need to call sprint customer care and bug them so often for, that it actually matters when picking a provider? They tell me how much my service costs, I pay it, no need to call them. If my phone breaks i go to a sprint store but what would i actually need to call customer care for that i need to worry about how they will treat me over the phone. I call those people only when i'm trying to scam them like getting an early upgrade, but technically i know i'm not eligible so i can't be mad at them if they say no. Before I got my tp2, i think the last time i called them was right before I got my tp1.
Well, in my case with Verizon, not sure about Sprint, because no Verizon store in my area caried my phones TP1/TP2, I have to GIVE them my phone until the shipped phone arrives. Which means I'm out a phone I use for work for up to 2 days, which is unacceptable. They explained that this is because the store is then controlling the inventory. I also had the issues that the touch screen was pulling away from the phone and I was on my 4th phone in 9 months. I would LOVE to not have to call Verizon for anything for 2 years until my next upgrade, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. I'm hoping the TP2 is better, but I'm already on my 2nd one because of a bad radio on the first.

From the Sprint store that I talked to locally, I can bring my phone in there, but again, right now there is not in-store stock of TP2's. I hear they are getting them, but if they are like Verizon, that will be VERY limited.

So, to answer your question, why we have to call support so much, I don't want to, I have to.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

zim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKNAM View Post
who said anything about being mad...you. I never get upset with them its all part of the game. The Op stated that he didnt find Verizon to always be in unison from 1 agent to the next, i'm just advising him of the same possibilities with sprint, why...because it happens, it happened today, and a chat representative told me today that it was not company wide understood whom could recieve the price match thing going on. so I apologize if my post upset you.
I completely understood your post. I hope I haven't just been lucky in getting everybody from Sprint giving me the same answer. IMO they all have their faults. I think if you reviewed each them 7 days in a row, you'd have 7 different winners. Just luck of the draw, but in my case it's pressure relief on my head. LOL
Old 10-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: RazrMaxx
Carrier: vzw

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I just moved to verizon from sprint. Had a tp on sprint. I've used a verizon for voice at work for years. The only real reason I moved was to get the tp2 at $200 instead of $600.Not due for an upgrade so full price.
That said both are fine for data and voice quality imo. My verizon work phone is a cheap one and I think the call quality is below par. But my tp2 on vzw has excellent voice quality. I'm glad I moved over even having to pay the etf I feel it worth it. But If I were you I'd go with the best deal since both are good providers. btw my bill is $86/mo. w/900 min+data plan. $10 more than sprint at 450 min. I've found a new home.Lol.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

lovingHDTV is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlovingHDTV is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlovingHDTV is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I just went through the same analysis. I was switching to either Sprint or Verizon from ATT. I came to the same conclusion that you have, they are both basically the same service but Sprint is a little cheaper per month.

I did not like that for Verizon you had to buy an additional smart phone package $30 per month? to use the TP2 that was a big turn off for me. I like that Sprint has it all wrapped up in one easy to understand package.

For me I also got an additional 8% savings at Sprint because the work discount was 25% instead of 17%. I've had Sprint now for 2.5 weeks and have no real complaints. I got the TP2 and got my wife and daughter the Pre. I love the TP2 full keyboard and love the Pre OS. Wish I could get WebOS on the TP2 then I'd be rocking.

dave
Old 10-01-2009, 04:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

These discussions usually turn into huge arguements, but I will just say I have had both services. I had Sprint for two years after switching from VZ.

By the end of my two year contract, I couldn't wait to go back to Verizon & I'm never switching again. You get what you pay for, that's why VZ is the biggest cell company & Sprint is on the verge of bankruptcy.

~John
Old 10-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II

Magoo_215 is keeping up the good workMagoo_215 is keeping up the good work
Talking Re: Decisions...Verizon or Sprint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2323 View Post
I have a big decision to make. I know this can be as much a personal deicsion for some as it is technical, but I am SOLELY interested in the technical. I personally have no allegience other then staying with a CDMA carrier.

I am currently a Verizon customer with a Touch Pro 2. I have been for 7 years. I ported my number over from Sprint, where I had been a customer for over 5 years. I currently have a 900 minute plan for $119.99 so I can get the 5 favorites (not available on the 450 minute plan). Montly costs after taxes are right around $145.

I have also just signed up at Sprint and received my Touch Pro 2 Monday. Their plan includes 450 minutes for $69.99, about $83 after taxes. The big thing being that the mobile-to-any-mobile eliminates 90% of my off network calls that I needed the 900 minutes for, either for minutes or to use a 5 favorite.

I am in North East Indiana and have been using these phones side-by-side for almost a week now. Outside of a pocket in Roann, IN where I could only get roaming voice/data on Sprint, the two carriers have performed identically, and Sprint has actually been a little better in terms of signal strength SHOWN. Data always works on both, even if at 1x on Sprint (Roann), but even when I had no voice signal on Sprint as soon as I dialed it picked up a roaming tower and I had a clear call.

These are the factors I'm looking at:

Equipment: Maybe it's me, but Sprint sees to be beating Verizon on getting phones out, and while Verizon has had only 1 ROM update for Touch Pro, I think Sprint just released their 2nd or 3rd. I like the fact that Sprint includes more customer friendly tools on the phone to update the system and give you a direct link to updates, though none are available to test just how effective that really is. Since the TP2's are nearly the same, I don't see any build or quality issues. Outside of some minor OS memory allotment differences, the two phones are identical. As for software, there are graphical color and button placement differences, but they phones operate exactly the same. I think the only things I noticed were more "under the hood" stuff with the TF3D DLL's and basic registry changes we have been used to. What works on Sprint (more of what we're used to), may not work on Verizon. Perfect example is the SMS Sent notifications. The old reg hacks work on Sprint, but Verizon has changed the HTCVOLUEMCONTROL.DLL that controls that and you have to change different registry entries in order to properly disable SMS Sent notifications. Who knows what else we will find.

Dropped calls?: I haven't had a dropped call on either. Haven't really heard of anyone having that problem recently. Wonder where some of the problem areas are? I was in Middleville, MI last month and Verizon access was poor. I wonder what Sprint service was like. I've heard that area (20 minutes South of Grand Rapids) was more Nextel/Sprint friendly.

In-call sound quality: Maybe it's just me, but for some reason Sprint sounds a little better. Verizon seems to have static and can sound "broken" and in the past several months I've had trouble properly hearing people in calls on Verizon. I don't have the time to properly test Sprint vs Verizon on this, but I do remember when I switched from Sprint years ago noticing that Verizon didn't seem to sound nearly as clear. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Data quality/speed: This seems to be about the same using them side-by-side. Either one could have better overall speed, but from my one week trial they both seem to load web pages at identical times. The only thing I've noticed is that I rarely, if ever drop to 1x on Verizon where as with Sprint, out in the country I've dropped to 1x a couple times. Even then I could use a data connection

Tech Support:
Accuracy: With Verizon, every store and every phone tech/dept I talk to gives me a different answer. LITERALLY. My wife thought I was just being difficult until she started listening in my calls to them. Every single person I got on the line gave me a different answer. It's nice knowing that you can eventually call and get someone to do what you need to do, but it's extremely time consuming and a pain in the ***. On the other hand, with Sprint, every phone call I've made and every different store I talk to tells me the EXACT SAME THING. That has really been one of the nice things about dealing with them.

Verizon phones/cost: I personally received a free upgrade to a TP2 from a TP at Verizon because I was going on my 4th one for defective hardware. Since they didn't renew my contract I can still get another TP2 on my account in January and have 2, one for me and one for my wife. My wife is on her own plan and we are looking to move her over to mine soon. To get 2 lines with unlimited data/txt, it's gonna' cost me $200+taxes.

Sprint phones/cost: I got the TP2 for $450 and if I port my number from Verizon back to Sprint they are going to give me the $150 price match and $100 instant rebate (instead of MIR since I'm out of town). To get the phone my wife wants will be another $80. For BOTH of us to be on the same plan will cost $10 less then what I pay alone at Verizon, for $130. Not to mention I may be able to get another 15% off my bill through work for Sprint.

If Verizon actually does add VCast to the options for our Windows Mobile phones on Oct. 6th, you know they are gonna' charge for those again. That's gonna' be another $10-20? That would make my plan $160 to get what Sprint has. Almost twice as much.

What I like/dislike:
- I like Sprint's consistency when talking to all their support people and reps. I hate Verizon for the lack of consistency.
- I like the Sprint TP2 phone better (for now, who knows what the Oct 6th or after ROM updates will bring). Mainly based on what seems to be a more consistent, less "Verizonized" version. Verizon's phone date was a month newer, so maybe Sprint just didn't have the newer TF3D pieces yet.
- I like Sprint's plan and pricing better, who wouldnt'? I do like that I get Sprint's TV and Navigation for free with my plan, while I would have to pay extra for that with Verizon.

So which would you choose and why? I am really interested to know what your experience has been with either, or both carriers. Why did you leave, or not leave?

Thanks!!!
Whoa, Whoa Whoa! First off that was way too long, its gonna take me 2 days to read all that but any way you should check the coverage map and see if you'll get a good signal in your town and $119 for 900 min? Thats a rip off I get 900 min gor $89.99 with unlimited data so I would say if you want a cheaper plan with unlimted data then Sprint and you might be able to get the phone for $199 like everyone else on here. Ur Welcome my man.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II

Magoo_215 is keeping up the good workMagoo_215 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV View Post
I just went through the same analysis. I was switching to either Sprint or Verizon from ATT. I came to the same conclusion that you have, they are both basically the same service but Sprint is a little cheaper per month.

I did not like that for Verizon you had to buy an additional smart phone package $30 per month? to use the TP2 that was a big turn off for me. I like that Sprint has it all wrapped up in one easy to understand package.

For me I also got an additional 8% savings at Sprint because the work discount was 25% instead of 17%. I've had Sprint now for 2.5 weeks and have no real complaints. I got the TP2 and got my wife and daughter the Pre. I love the TP2 full keyboard and love the Pre OS. Wish I could get WebOS on the TP2 then I'd be rocking.

dave

Now thats a guy who know a bargain when he sees one.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
These discussions usually turn into huge arguements, but I will just say I have had both services. I had Sprint for two years after switching from VZ.

By the end of my two year contract, I couldn't wait to go back to Verizon & I'm never switching again. You get what you pay for, that's why VZ is the biggest cell company & Sprint is on the verge of bankruptcy.

~John
Funny I have sprint and verizon and the only thing i get from verizon is a more expensive bill. You say you get what you pay for, what are you getting that we don't get a sprint except that higher bill. If you could post exactly what your getting from them that sprint didn't give you, everyone wants to hear that. thats why the thread was created. you didn't give any examples what so ever, i'm confused.

Last edited by p-slim; 10-01-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: treowx
Carrier: sprint

derrickmd18 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to derrickmd18 Send a message via Yahoo to derrickmd18

Nationwide Premium Family SharePlan®
Nationwide 65 Plus Family SharePlan®
Nationwide Plus Canada Family SharePlan®
Introducing Friends & Family®. Unlimited calling to and from any 10 numbers on any network in America.Learn More
  • Unlimited calling to all 80 million Verizon Wireless customers
  • Unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes
  • No Domestic Long Distance Charges
  • Data sent or received (incl. Mobile Web advertising) is $1.99/MB. Learn More
  • Access to Mobile Web
View All Included Features
Introducing Friends & Family®. Unlimited calling to and from any 10 numbers on any network in America.Learn More
  • Unlimited Text, Picture, Video & Instant Messaging
  • Unlimited calling to all 80 million Verizon Wireless customers.
  • Data sent or received (incl. Mobile Web advertising) is $1.99/MB. Learn More
  • Access to Mobile Web
  • Mobile Email
  • Unlimited Data for Mobile Web and Get it Now/Media Center
  • Mobile Email
  • V CAST Videos On Demand
  • VZ Navigator
  • Unlimited Mobile Web

Minutes

Retail Price: $139.99
Your Price: $115.79
(22% off eligible lines)