PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

zim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Decisions...Verizon or Sprint?

I have a big decision to make. I know this can be as much a personal deicsion for some as it is technical, but I am SOLELY interested in the technical. I personally have no allegience other then staying with a CDMA carrier.

I am currently a Verizon customer with a Touch Pro 2. I have been for 7 years. I ported my number over from Sprint, where I had been a customer for over 5 years. I currently have a 900 minute plan for $119.99 so I can get the 5 favorites (not available on the 450 minute plan). Montly costs after taxes are right around $145.

I have also just signed up at Sprint and received my Touch Pro 2 Monday. Their plan includes 450 minutes for $69.99, about $83 after taxes. The big thing being that the mobile-to-any-mobile eliminates 90% of my off network calls that I needed the 900 minutes for, either for minutes or to use a 5 favorite.

I am in North East Indiana and have been using these phones side-by-side for almost a week now. Outside of a pocket in Roann, IN where I could only get roaming voice/data on Sprint, the two carriers have performed identically, and Sprint has actually been a little better in terms of signal strength SHOWN. Data always works on both, even if at 1x on Sprint (Roann), but even when I had no voice signal on Sprint as soon as I dialed it picked up a roaming tower and I had a clear call.

These are the factors I'm looking at:

Equipment: Maybe it's me, but Sprint sees to be beating Verizon on getting phones out, and while Verizon has had only 1 ROM update for Touch Pro, I think Sprint just released their 2nd or 3rd. I like the fact that Sprint includes more customer friendly tools on the phone to update the system and give you a direct link to updates, though none are available to test just how effective that really is. Since the TP2's are nearly the same, I don't see any build or quality issues. Outside of some minor OS memory allotment differences, the two phones are identical. As for software, there are graphical color and button placement differences, but they phones operate exactly the same. I think the only things I noticed were more "under the hood" stuff with the TF3D DLL's and basic registry changes we have been used to. What works on Sprint (more of what we're used to), may not work on Verizon. Perfect example is the SMS Sent notifications. The old reg hacks work on Sprint, but Verizon has changed the HTCVOLUEMCONTROL.DLL that controls that and you have to change different registry entries in order to properly disable SMS Sent notifications. Who knows what else we will find.

Dropped calls?: I haven't had a dropped call on either. Haven't really heard of anyone having that problem recently. Wonder where some of the problem areas are? I was in Middleville, MI last month and Verizon access was poor. I wonder what Sprint service was like. I've heard that area (20 minutes South of Grand Rapids) was more Nextel/Sprint friendly.

In-call sound quality: Maybe it's just me, but for some reason Sprint sounds a little better. Verizon seems to have static and can sound "broken" and in the past several months I've had trouble properly hearing people in calls on Verizon. I don't have the time to properly test Sprint vs Verizon on this, but I do remember when I switched from Sprint years ago noticing that Verizon didn't seem to sound nearly as clear. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Data quality/speed: This seems to be about the same using them side-by-side. Either one could have better overall speed, but from my one week trial they both seem to load web pages at identical times. The only thing I've noticed is that I rarely, if ever drop to 1x on Verizon where as with Sprint, out in the country I've dropped to 1x a couple times. Even then I could use a data connection

Tech Support:
Accuracy: With Verizon, every store and every phone tech/dept I talk to gives me a different answer. LITERALLY. My wife thought I was just being difficult until she started listening in my calls to them. Every single person I got on the line gave me a different answer. It's nice knowing that you can eventually call and get someone to do what you need to do, but it's extremely time consuming and a pain in the ***. On the other hand, with Sprint, every phone call I've made and every different store I talk to tells me the EXACT SAME THING. That has really been one of the nice things about dealing with them.

Verizon phones/cost: I personally received a free upgrade to a TP2 from a TP at Verizon because I was going on my 4th one for defective hardware. Since they didn't renew my contract I can still get another TP2 on my account in January and have 2, one for me and one for my wife. My wife is on her own plan and we are looking to move her over to mine soon. To get 2 lines with unlimited data/txt, it's gonna' cost me $200+taxes.

Sprint phones/cost: I got the TP2 for $450 and if I port my number from Verizon back to Sprint they are going to give me the $150 price match and $100 instant rebate (instead of MIR since I'm out of town). To get the phone my wife wants will be another $80. For BOTH of us to be on the same plan will cost $10 less then what I pay alone at Verizon, for $130. Not to mention I may be able to get another 15% off my bill through work for Sprint.

If Verizon actually does add VCast to the options for our Windows Mobile phones on Oct. 6th, you know they are gonna' charge for those again. That's gonna' be another $10-20? That would make my plan $160 to get what Sprint has. Almost twice as much.

What I like/dislike:
- I like Sprint's consistency when talking to all their support people and reps. I hate Verizon for the lack of consistency.
- I like the Sprint TP2 phone better (for now, who knows what the Oct 6th or after ROM updates will bring). Mainly based on what seems to be a more consistent, less "Verizonized" version. Verizon's phone date was a month newer, so maybe Sprint just didn't have the newer TF3D pieces yet.
- I like Sprint's plan and pricing better, who wouldnt'? I do like that I get Sprint's TV and Navigation for free with my plan, while I would have to pay extra for that with Verizon.

So which would you choose and why? I am really interested to know what your experience has been with either, or both carriers. Why did you leave, or not leave?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by zim2323; 10-01-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: VZW TP2 GREATEST VZW PHONE EVER
Carrier: VZW

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff
Re: Decisions...Verizon or Sprint?

If you're willing to go with 700 minutes. It'll only cost $160 +taxes/fees with your wife.
Don't know if it's cheaper, but you can get familyshare select 700 ($99.99) + 2x email and web for smartphone ($29.99).

I get a 20% discount with either Sprint or Verizon, but Verizon service has been very good to me. I think you can get 5% just for AAA. Verizon has been great with swapping devices, making international phone calls for diagnosis, waiving fees, etc.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I don't think I would worry too much about Vcast or Sprint TV, they are both worthless. If you want TV, get yourself a SlingBox.

~John
Old 10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BROOKNAM is becoming a great contributor

Here in the city both carriers work pretty much the same, neither gets service in the sub-level of my job while t-mobile and att does. with me its a matter of money between the two, i was lucky to sign-up over 3 years ago when Sero accounts where as easy as calling *2. With my employee discount and 7 dollar insurance i pay $38 a month, if i could get the same plan from verizon i would have jumped ship in a heartbeat to their cheaper priced pro2. i never understood the fanboyism towards these companies...
Old 10-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

zim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdnmatt View Post
If you're willing to go with 700 minutes. It'll only cost $160 +taxes/fees with your wife.
Don't know if it's cheaper, but you can get familyshare select 700 ($99.99) + 2x email and web for smartphone ($29.99).

I get a 20% discount with either Sprint or Verizon, but Verizon service has been very good to me. I think you can get 5% just for AAA. Verizon has been great with swapping devices, making international phone calls for diagnosis, waiving fees, etc.
$160 is still $30 more then $130...add in navigation and unlimited txt for both my wife and i and add another$40-50. i have never had any luck with verizon and those "special" plans. so from purely a cost and then add in features sprint wins 100 times over. which is why i wanted to keep it technical. what experiences TECHNICALLY caused people to choose on carrier over the other.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
you know ...
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

meatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to meatgel

It actually sounds like a coin toss ... unless you go by the $$ .... Sprint just seems cheaper. Vz signal is very poor around my home, so it was an easy choice for me. I've been happy with Sprint.

Sprint Evo 3D! ...

Old 10-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Arrive

Aleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

If youre planning on adding your wife, one plan you would bennefit fom is the sprint everything employee refferal program. 119/mnth gets you 1600 anytime minutes between two lines, unlimited data, texting, nav, tv + the free any mobile any time perk. I just signed my parents up for it and so far they love it. If you would like the e-mail and pin to get onto the website, send me a PM and I can get it for you. You both are also eligible to become a sprint premier customer (full upgrade credit yearly) after 3 months of a good standing account.

All in all, it comes down to how satisfied you will be with either carrier. For the most part, sprint and verizon are the same (atleast are around my area). Either way, youll still end up with a TP2 in the end
Old 10-01-2009, 03:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

BROOKNAM is becoming a great contributor

If the service is the same like you stated i say go with $print but dont bank on your early customer service with them to remain that way, you will find its all about what agent you get when you call chat or email.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKNAM View Post
If the service is the same like you stated i say go with $print but dont bank on your early customer service with them to remain that way, you will find its all about what agent you get when you call chat or email.
this is what i don't understand, why do you people need to call sprint customer care and bug them so often for, that it actually matters when picking a provider? They tell me how much my service costs, I pay it, no need to call them. If my phone breaks i go to a sprint store but what would i actually need to call customer care for that i need to worry about how they will treat me over the phone. I call those people only when i'm trying to scam them like getting an early upgrade, but technically i know i'm not eligible so i can't be mad at them if they say no. Before I got my tp2, i think the last time i called them was right before I got my tp1.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I don't think I would worry too much about Vcast or Sprint TV, they are both worthless. If you want TV, get yourself a SlingBox.

~John
I agree, I'm not really worrying about. But it's just another reason why Sprint is the better deal. I have stated though I'm more worried about why others chose one service over the other. I will tell you this, I am NOT choosing a service based on their TV service.

I will choose based on price vs performance. If I can get same features/performance as Verizon no Sprint for hafl the money, then I'll go with Sprint, but I'll gladly pay the twice as much IF Sprint service can not match Verizon, mainly on the voice side. Data is still important, but not paramont.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion