PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

JQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To all those who have Sprint...be patient...

Odds are they won't go out of business before a new smart phone that's worth us buying comes out but for now, think of it this way...lets not forget that smart phones are still a niche market. Google and Apple are responsible for starting the process of converting the entire cellular market over to smart phones as opposed to non-smart phone devices.

Sprint a few years ago was AHEAD of the game when it came to smart devices, windows mobile was the only game in town. As soon as the regular market started getting smart phones like iPhone / Adroid, windows mobile failed to adapt quickly, they got blitzed from both angles. It's an embarasingly slow process for WM to get where it needs to be to be considered an "everyday smartphone" which is is NOT.

ANY windows mobile phone is the best type of smart phone...I don't care if you're using Vouge, Touch Diamond, a TP2 or a Touch HD, they all out perform most android phones and the iPhone as far as functionality is concerned...but the average cellular device user who has NEVER used a smartphone has a huge learning curve (when I say that I really mean it would take them more time than they want to spend learning how to use a phone), where as with iPhone and Android there is no learning curve...it really is that intuitive.

Once people adapt to the new easier to use smartphones then WM can come back in a big way (with WM7) by offering the "next level" of service through mobile devices that WM has had for years, but people didn't know how to use. Now they'll be able to pick it up and use it as easily as their Droid because they know what a smart phone can do and how to make it work for them. The market needed an education on how to take advantage of awesome mobile devices, and Android is giving it to them. Big brother WM will come back soon don't worry, it's just a shame that WM is basically on pause or keeps having set backs.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: To all those who have Sprint...be patient...

haha, good post. you're probably like me, laughing at the folks that want to jump ship because sprint didn't get this phone, or sprint didn't get that phone. none of them every used it before, and will most likely not like it when they get it, but they'll boo-hoo regardless! i like it though, it makes a good read!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I agree with you that WM is and always has been the best platform. However, what you are failing to realize is that Sprint isn't even getting the best WM devices anymore.

T-Mobile got the Touch Pro 2 (Sprint's best WM device) before Sprint, and now they are getting an exclusive on the HD2. AT&T and verizon also have the Touch Pro 2- AT&T's shipped with WM6.5, and Verizon now has an update to WM6.5 before Sprint.

AT&T also has that LG projector WM 6.5 phone (which has a slide out qwerty, 5 megapixel camera, and a 1 gig snapdragon processor). And Verizon also has the Imagio.

So Sprint is behind in the game no matter how you look at it...
Old 01-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

JQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
I agree with you that WM is and always has been the best platform. However, what you are failing to realize is that Sprint isn't even getting the best WM devices anymore.

T-Mobile got the Touch Pro 2 (Sprint's best WM device) before Sprint, and now they are getting an exclusive on the HD2. AT&T and verizon also have the Touch Pro 2- AT&T's shipped with WM6.5, and Verizon now has an update to WM6.5 before Sprint.

AT&T also has that LG projector WM 6.5 phone (which has a slide out qwerty, 5 megapixel camera, and a 1 gig snapdragon processor). And Verizon also has the Imagio.

So Sprint is behind in the game no matter how you look at it...

The projector is a bit gimmicky for me...how often would you really use that? The UI isn't nearly as nice as TF3d. Sprint needs to play catch up for sure. But we also need to keep in mind we're not exactly doing Sprint any favors by using tethering as much as we all are here lol.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuill View Post
The projector is a bit gimmicky for me...how often would you really use that? The UI isn't nearly as nice as TF3d. Sprint needs to play catch up for sure. But we also need to keep in mind we're not exactly doing Sprint any favors by using tethering as much as we all are here lol.
The projector is an option that you can put on the back of the phone if you want. You don't have to use it or attach it if you don't want to. heck, the phone doesn't even ship with the projector so you don't even have to buy it if you don't want to.

The phone itself though has WM 6.5, slide out qwerty, 5 megapixel camera (with flash), 1 gig snapdragon processor, and WVGA display.

Spec wise, it blows the Touch Pro 2 out of the water (which, again, AT&T has the Touch Pro 2 also, and it ships with WM6.5 too). See the comparison here:
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomp...=1989&id2=1925

So while the projector itself may be a gimmick, the phone itself has way better specs than anything Sprint has right now. and the best WM Sprint has, AT&T also has. Sprint is behind in the game, no matter how you slice it.

Oh yeah, as for the interface- I use SPB Mobile Shell anyway. It's way better than TouchFlo. I would advise anyone who doesn't use it to try it out. I hate TouchFlo personally. SPB Mobile shell is always the first thing I install whenever I flash a ROM. The ROM I have been using for the last month+ doesn't even have TouchFlo anyway (indagroove Titanium)...

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 01-10-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
The projector is an option that you can put on the back of the phone if you want. You don't have to use it or attach it if you don't want to. heck, the phone doesn't even ship with the projector so you don't even have to buy it if you don't want to.

The phone itself though has WM 6.5, slide out qwerty, 5 megapixel camera, 1 gig snapdragon processor, and WVGA display.

Spec wise, it blows the Touch Pro 2 out of the water (which, again, AT&T has the Touch Pro 2 also, and it ships with WM6.5 too). See the comparison here:
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomp...=1989&id2=1925

So while the projector itself may be a gimmick, the phone itself has way better specs than anything Sprint has right now. and the best WM Sprint has, AT&T also has. Sprint is behind in the game, no matter how you slice it.

Oh yeah, as for the interface- I use SPB Mobile Shell anyway. It's way better than TouchFlo. I would advise anyone who doesn't use it to try it out. I hate TouchFlo personally. SPB Mobile shell is always the first thing I install whenever I flash a ROM. The ROM I have been using for the last month+ doesn't even have TouchFlo anyway (indagroove Titanium)...
Sense 2.5 is what I am talking about when I refer to "touchflo". I've used mobile shell and to me it is extremely outdated and is not robust. Sense 2.5 is the deepest and most functional UI there is on a smartphone, and with OMJ's latest roms for the Diamond we literally have everything a touch hd2 has on our phones and it runs perfectly, much smoother than any 2.1 rom, comparable to any android phone with a similar or better processor and almost as good as fast as the iPhone. Spec wise the LG phone does blow the TP2 out of the water but the interface is similar to that of SPB mobile shell which is why you probably like it, just a bunch of icons on the screen. Sense 2.5 provices a better workflow when jumping from one thing to another. Everything from the music libraray / browser, to contacts, facebook, twitter, local weather with mylocation, a much better e-mail browser, a built in manila home screen locker that is way better than any lock software or wm's locker....i mean the list goes on and on how much better version 2.5 is than any other of tf3d. Which is why the HD2 is so great. The Diamond is the closest to the HD2 as far as hardware similarity and the ability to port software from it provided you know how to code and resize graphics...which OMJ does. TP2's are nice dont get me wrong, but they just seem like an overweight touch pro. And I opted for the diamond over the tp to begin with because of the built in storage (4 gigs is plenty for me as I only use that space for storing cab files and music, i stream all my video) so upgrading to the tp2 didnt make sense.

The Diamond continues to be one of the most versatile phones in Sprints lineup. Why they discontinued this phone instead of upgrading the OS I will never know but they sure killed it from the start with the fruity ass maroon back cover. Thank god we were able to dye our covers black.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:40 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuill View Post
Sense 2.5 is what I am talking about when I refer to "touchflo". I've used mobile shell and to me it is extremely outdated and is not robust. Sense 2.5 is the deepest and most functional UI there is on a smartphone, and with OMJ's latest roms for the Diamond we literally have everything a touch hd2 has on our phones and it runs perfectly, much smoother than any 2.1 rom, comparable to any android phone with a similar or better processor and almost as good as fast as the iPhone. Spec wise the LG phone does blow the TP2 out of the water but the interface is similar to that of SPB mobile shell which is why you probably like it, just a bunch of icons on the screen. Sense 2.5 provices a better workflow when jumping from one thing to another. Everything from the music libraray / browser, to contacts, facebook, twitter, local weather with mylocation, a much better e-mail browser, a built in manila home screen locker that is way better than any lock software or wm's locker....i mean the list goes on and on how much better version 2.5 is than any other of tf3d. Which is why the HD2 is so great. The Diamond is the closest to the HD2 as far as hardware similarity and the ability to port software from it provided you know how to code and resize graphics...which OMJ does. TP2's are nice dont get me wrong, but they just seem like an overweight touch pro. And I opted for the diamond over the tp to begin with because of the built in storage (4 gigs is plenty for me as I only use that space for storing cab files and music, i stream all my video) so upgrading to the tp2 didnt make sense.

The Diamond continues to be one of the most versatile phones in Sprints lineup. Why they discontinued this phone instead of upgrading the OS I will never know but they sure killed it from the start with the fruity ass maroon back cover. Thank god we were able to dye our covers black.
LOL, Mobile Shell does everything Sense 2.5 does and PLENTY more. It's not just a bunch of icons on a screen- it's whatever the heck you want it to be. I mean, yes, you can have a bunch of icons on a screen if you want, but you certainly don't have to. As for all of that other stuff- facebook and twitter integration, music player, better email browser and all of that other stuff- Mobile Shell has ALL of that. Not sure when the last time you used it, but you might want to check out the lastest version. it takes up way less system memory than TouchFlo, responds faster, doesn't lag like TouchFlo sometimes does, it easily configurable with no hacking required, and you can configure every little aspect of it, unlike TouchFlo. I would highly suggest you try out the latest version before you go saying it's not as good as TouchFlo. The people that try both and go back to TouchFlo are few and far between. I guess you might be that 1 out of 100 or so who prefers TouchFlo after trying both, but the odds are certainly against it.

As for the Diamond- LOL! Are you serious? Man, the Touch Pro 2 has a bigger screen and better resolution than the Diamond- and it is still smaller than the HD2's screen. The HD2 also has that 1 gig snapdragon processor (roughly twice as fast as the Diamond's). THAT is why the HD2 is great, it has nothing to do with the resource hog known as TouchFlo.

And theTouch Pro 2 is better than the Touch Pro in every imaginable way. Bigger screen, better resolution, tilting screen, 3.5mm jack, better keyboard, better call functions, better speakers, better battery, nicer look, and so on. The only people saying they are even close to comparable are the people who never owned a Touch Pro 2.

Anyway, the point is- Sprint is behind everyone else when it comes to devices. Even if you think the diamond is the cats meow of phones, you have to admit it is not as good as the HD2, the AT&T Pure, or the Verizon Imagio. I happen to think the Touch Pro 2 is the cats meow of phones, but I have to admit that everyone else has the Touch Pro 2 (with WM6.5 even) and it is probably not as good as that LG projector phone anyway. You can't seriously be telling everyone that Sprint has the best devices because they have the Diamond, can you??

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 01-10-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor

I agree with the OP. There's so much more to consider than handsets. Sprint has a great network, with a great backhaul network. Look at AT&T, there network can't backhaul traffic fast enough. T-Mobile is still struggling to build 3g service. An HD2 is just a fancy media player without good service.

When I evaluate my wireless service, I look at the following, in order:

1.) Service
2.) Price
3.) Handset selection

I agree also that Sprint has to pick it up and try to get some more good phones though.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprimr1 View Post
I agree with the OP. There's so much more to consider than handsets. Sprint has a great network, with a great backhaul network. Look at AT&T, there network can't backhaul traffic fast enough. T-Mobile is still struggling to build 3g service. An HD2 is just a fancy media player without good service.

When I evaluate my wireless service, I look at the following, in order:

1.) Service
2.) Price
3.) Handset selection

I agree also that Sprint has to pick it up and try to get some more good phones though.

The facts all seem to disagree with you...

#1: AT&T has the fastest network in the nation. They only have problems in a couple of cities, the rest of their network blows Sprint's out of the water.

#2: T-Mobile is not struggling to roll out 3G service. They just finished rolling out the same nationwide 7.2 meg HSPA that AT&T has (the fastest 3G in the nation) and will have it upgraded to 21 meg HSPA+ by mid 2010. To say they are struggling with 3G is out dated information.

#3: The HD2 is the most powerful Windows Mobile phone on the market right now, and when it is released in the USA it will have the fastest 3G in the nation on T-Mobile's 21 meg HSPA+ network. Just a fancy media player with bad service? LOL, not even close.

And while I am on a roll here, I should point out that T-Mobile's "Even More Plus" plans (on their website) are cheaper than any of Sprint's advertised plans, and they don't even require a contract- plus they will let you break the cost of a device up into up to 20 interest free payments if you want- still without a contract, just pay off the balance if you decide to leave.

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 01-11-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC INC.
Carrier: VERIZON <--?

spiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to spiritcrusher33

Talk + Text + Web 500 min plan 59.99 a month t-mobile and u have to purchase the phone full price. or pay it out in monthly installments which make your monthly price go up.lol

simplyeverything 450 69.99 a month.. with unlimited calling to all cell numbers.. free nav, sprint tv.. etc.. or u can get

simplyeverything referal plus 500 mins for 59.99 a month with
with unlimited calling to all cell numbers.. free nav, sprint tv.. etc.. or u can get

look at the coverage maps... for all 4 carriers...lol u will see sprint and verizon got ya covered.. att and t-mobile negative...and as far as t-mobile and att 3g most average speeds are around the same as sprint and verizon.. 1 to 2 megs dl..

i get 1.6 d and 800 up on sprint.. with t-mobiles 3g i never got that..lol

enough said..

still dont get your math salty!!!!!

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion