PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint (the devil)

amd4me is keeping up the good workamd4me is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: To all those who have Sprint...be patient...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritcrusher33 View Post
care to explain? i mean u posted a short response..but nothing to back it up!!!

lets hear why u feel that way!!!
Quote:
Lets not forget that smart phones are still a niche market.
This is incorrect, the economist as well as numbers produced by the top5 carriers predicted that nearly 85 percent of all cell phones in use in the USA are classified as PDA phones which actually exceed the "smart phone" classification.

Quote:
Google and Apple are responsible for starting the process of converting the entire cellular market over to smart phones as opposed to non-smart phone devices.
No that was RIM and Palm the transformation was well on its way and Apple just fanned the flames.
Quote:
Sprint a few years ago was AHEAD of the game when it came to smart devices, windows mobile was the only game in town.
No that's not correct, RIM was in the lead with the Blackberry and Tmobile held almost the entirety of the smart phone market, WinMo has never nor will ever be as popular as the RIM gui or Apple. Sure we all love it but its just the truth.

Quote:
As soon as the regular market started getting smart phones like iPhone / Adroid, windows mobile failed to adapt quickly, they got blitzed from both angles.
WinMo has always lagged woefully behind and were never really competitive.

Quote:
It's an embarasingly slow process for WM to get where it needs to be to be considered an "everyday smartphone" which is is NOT.
If WinMo licenses keep going the way they are going there will be no future for it.
Quote:
ANY windows mobile phone is the best type of smart phone...I don't care if you're using Vouge, Touch Diamond, a TP2 or a Touch HD, they all out perform most android phones and the iPhone as far as functionality is concerned
No they don't WinMo is hungrier and more unstable than either of the platforms you mentioned.
Quote:
...but the average cellular device user who has NEVER used a smartphone has a huge learning curve
The average cellphone user already owns a smartphone.
Quote:
where as with iPhone and Android there is no learning curve...it really is that intuitive.
Now you are just making things up. there will be a learning curve assosciated with any new platform.

Quote:
Once people adapt to the new easier to use smartphones then WM can come back in a big way
Once people adapt as you say they will be un interested in switching platforms, it will actually be bad for windows mobile.

Quote:
(with WM7) by offering the "next level" of service through mobile devices that WM has had for years, but people didn't know how to use.
If it cant be utilized easily by the end user then the feature isn't there. In the marketing world they call those phantom features.

Quote:
Now they'll be able to pick it up and use it as easily as their Droid because they know what a smart phone can do and how to make it work for them.
That may be true but as usual Microsoft isn't going to innovate they are going to try and capitalize on an already successful formula. And while that may have been successful business practice in the past it does not work with the fast moving, ever dynamic technology field.

Quote:
The market needed an education on how to take advantage of awesome mobile devices, and Android is giving it to them.
No actually Apple is giving it to them and will continue to dominate.
Quote:
Big brother WM will come back soon don't worry, it's just a shame that WM is basically on pause or keeps having set backs.
WM is basically finished, it set the trend and then failed to stay competitive in its own field.

Last edited by amd4me; 01-18-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd4me View Post
This is incorrect, the economist as well as numbers produced by the top5 carriers predicted that nearly 85 percent of all cell phones in use in the USA are classified as PDA phones which actually exceed the "smart phone" classification.

No that was RIM and HTC the transformation was well on its way and Apple just fanned the flames.
No that's not correct, RIM was in the lead with the Blackberry and Tmobile held almost the entirety of the smart phone market, WinMo has never nor will ever be as popular as the RIM gui or Apple. Sure we all love it but its just the truth.

WinMo has always lagged woefully behind and were never really competitive.

If WinMo licenses keep going the way they are going there will be no future for it.
No they don't WinMo is hungrier and more unstable than either of the platforms you mentioned.
The average cellphone user already owns a smartphone.
Now you are just making things up. there will be a learning curve assosciated with any new platform.

Once people adapt as you say they will be un interested in switching platforms, it will actually be bad for windows mobile.

If it cant be utilized easily by the end user then the feature isn't there. In the marketing world they call those phantom features.

That may be true but as usual Microsoft isn't going to innovate they are going to try and capitalize on an already successful formula. And while that may have been successful business practice in the past it does not work with the fast moving, ever dynamic technology field.

No actually Apple is giving it to them and will continue to dominate.
WM is basically finished, it set the trend and then failed to stay competitive in its own field.

I like your style! However, since most phones are PDAs/Smartphones, then by logic, most of their users are not all that savvy and thus, might not have an established preference for brand. I'm sure my fiancee's next phone will be a smartphone, but she has no preference for Android or Windows Mobile and she won't get an iPhone because she'll know I'll leave her because of that. If Microsoft just puts their phones out there and advertises advertises advertises, most likely people will buy them.

Now if we can just hope, Jerry Seinfeld is not the one to sell these phones.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint (the devil)

amd4me is keeping up the good workamd4me is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I like your style! However, since most phones are PDAs/Smartphones, then by logic, most of their users are not all that savvy and thus, might not have an established preference for brand. I'm sure my fiancee's next phone will be a smartphone, but she has no preference for Android or Windows Mobile and she won't get an iPhone because she'll know I'll leave her because of that. If Microsoft just puts their phones out there and advertises advertises advertises, most likely people will buy them.

Now if we can just hope, Jerry Seinfeld is not the one to sell these phones.
Now before I begin just have to say that the ideas I am about to present are my own and may not be a reflection of the segment.
Now that I have cleared the air a little bit, I have to say that I firmly believe that users are becoming vastly more savvy and more in touch with the technology around them.
However, with that being in said it also seems that they still seem to buy what is fed to them and certain types of devices attract certain types of buyer, just look at why has the "mytouch". Its all young females because of the branding and design of that product. Just as the droid is a decidedly monolithic and masculine device.
So the consumer is going to go after and buy what they are told fits their "life style".

Just like cows to slaughter they will be led down the sending trough and ultimately meet their "demise" with the carrier that supports their device. Thus ending their days on the pasture of the open market.
And because of this people are more likely to stay with their carrier out of satisfaction with the service rather than the device itself. The novelty wears off and you will only remember the dropped calls or lack thereof. If you are satisfied you will stay with your carrier and renew with a new phone from them. So really the average consumer can only enticed about once every 4-6 years.
Of course this only applies to the average person and not the tech savvy gadget hunters like us.=D>

Last edited by amd4me; 01-18-2010 at 09:21 PM.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion