PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 01:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC G1, TP2
Carrier: T-Mobile

highlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 1/30 patched rootfs: More working keyboard keys and classic home for Rhod210/400/

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
That's pretty puzzling to me. Can you bring up a regular Android app that has a text box, like Search, and try and press Alt-comma to bring up Sym? I double checked and it's already set to that.

Unfortunately, due to the way Google wrote Android, it's not possible to set Search to an Alt-'something else' key. It's either on its own keyboard key or nothing.

I assume everything else worked fine like home right?
Yep, everything else was great. And yeah, in a text box, Sym worked. Thanks.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:29 AM
F22
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

F22 is keeping up the good workF22 is keeping up the good work
Shell Feature: Auto-Complete

Quote:
Good idea! Uploaded a new version and added tab as fn-space for all supported devices.
Download

Unfortunately, this is less useful than I had hoped. Android keyboards don't have a tab key, so Android apps are too stupid to know what to do with it. Browser will actually type in a tab in a form instead of moving to the next field. Auto-complete doesn't work in terminal emulator.

I think if you use SSH though, it should work there. Let me know if it does or doesn't. That and maybe document editing ended up being the only thing it's really useful for I think.
Auto-complete, as well as command line editing and history are shell dependent. If you change your shell in the terminal emulator, assuming you have another installed, they will work. If you have titanium backup installed, you probably already have busybox's ash and don't even realize it. In that case you just need to tell the terminal emulator to use it. Typing sh at the shell prompt followed by enter works if ash is installed. To permanently make ash your default shell you can change /system/bin/shell to /bin/shell under the Command line option in the preferences menu of the terminal emulator app. If you don't have ash or another sufficiently robust shell installed (there is an android version of bash floating around on xda too), then you'll have to download one.

Last edited by F22; 02-03-2011 at 03:44 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff
Re: 1/30 patched rootfs: More working keyboard keys and classic home for Rhod210/400/

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
Auto-complete, as well as command line editing and history are shell dependent. If you change your shell in the terminal emulator, assuming you have another installed, they will work. If you have titanium backup installed, you probably already have busybox's ash and don't even realize it.
Yowza, great tip, works like a charm! I don't even know how I was typing commands in the terminal emulator before without tab auto-complete!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM
N00b

tekknogenius is just getting started
Re: 1/31 patched rootfs: More working keyboard keys and classic home for Rhod210/400/

This is great added functionality. Any chance of moddiing one of the kernels that has camera access? Thank you again.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff
Re: 1/31 patched rootfs: More working keyboard keys and classic home for Rhod210/400/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
This is great added functionality. Any chance of moddiing one of the kernels that has camera access? Thank you again.
Thanks for the compliment!

I'm not involved in any kernel development so far, so probably not. What is it you'd like to see one of those kernels do?

XDAndroid work is basically in 3 parts:
1. Kernel coding development. This gets hardware working, and so is the most critical type of development at this stage, since we have so much hardware that isn't working right. This is the zImage and the module.
2. System coding development. This gets Android working right on top of hardware that is already working right, which is also very important. This is the system.ext2/rootfs.img.
3. High level system work. This is what people in WinMo refer to as cooking by the chefs, taking pre-existing stuff, and tweaking configurations and files (in system.ext2 or rootfs.img) and packaging it up without coding anything new. This is all that I've done so far.

The 3 parts are fairly independent from each other. So you can take my modified rootfs, and it works with any kernel you like, for example the camera-enabled test kernel.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
N00b

tekknogenius is just getting started

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment!

I'm not involved in any kernel development so far, so probably not. What is it you'd like to see one of those kernels do?

XDAndroid work is basically in 3 parts:
1. Kernel coding development. This gets hardware working, and so is the most critical type of development at this stage, since we have so much hardware that isn't working right. This is the zImage and the module.
2. System coding development. This gets Android working right on top of hardware that is already working right, which is also very important. This is the system.ext2/rootfs.img.
3. High level system work. This is what people in WinMo refer to as cooking by the chefs, taking pre-existing stuff, and tweaking configurations and files (in system.ext2 or rootfs.img) and packaging it up without coding anything new. This is all that I've done so far.

The 3 parts are fairly independent from each other. So you can take my modified rootfs, and it works with any kernel you like, for example the camera-enabled test kernel.
Thanks for the explanation. So I should be able to use one of the testing kernels without messing up the work you've done on the keys then, right?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
Thanks for the explanation. So I should be able to use one of the testing kernels without messing up the work you've done on the keys then, right?
Yep, my rootfs is compatible with any kernel.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Re: 2/9 patched rootfs: More working keyboard keys and classic home for Rhod210/400/5

Updated rootfs that incorporates the latest changes that fix the system server bug! Hooray!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

hongbao is a n00b
Re: 2/9 patched rootfs: More working keyboard keys and classic home for Rhod210/400/5

Thanks, going to try it.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Sensation 4G

tacotoy is becoming a great contributor

this works great, but i had to go and set my end key to sleep in spare parts. could this be caused since i already had spare parts set to home before and just loaded the rootfs file and booted with that configuration? aside from that great work

my only request would be copy and paste as key shortcuts, but thats just cause i have it set like that in winmo, tab is nice to have for ssh though

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2