PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible
Carrier: VZW

Kushiel is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why sound isn't working on the TP2.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I have decompiled wavedev.dll and am in the process of identifying and renaming all the subroutines that I can. (This is about 45% done.) I'm normally a Java guy but I have done reverse engineering and C in the past. What I haven't really dealt with is kernel or driver development, so while I can map everything out I'm not going to know what it all means.

I have identified multiple functions involved with the audio path, but two of the most interesting seem to be AudioPath2PDA and AudioPath2GSM. Each of them calls the same 3 main functions, but the order is different. AudioPath2PDA disables the receiver, sets the flags and registry that the phone is not active, and then changes the audio mode. AudioPath2GSM turns the hearing aid on (if enabled), sets the flags, sets the audio mode, and then enables the receiver. There is a conditional check on the last step that I think has to do if speakerphone is enabled or not, but it is dependent on a pointer I haven't mapped yet.

Kushiel

P.S. Before anyone asks why there are GSM functions, I've been using the Topaz drivers referenced by ghost_deini.
This post has been thanked 12 times.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

itony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i dont understand much of what was said but i know it's way more complicated then simple begging and complaining about when it will be ready can do to help

Thanks android port devs
Old 05-24-2010, 11:42 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: Sprint

[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I have decompiled wavedev.dll and am in the process of identifying and renaming all the subroutines that I can. (This is about 45% done.) I'm normally a Java guy but I have done reverse engineering and C in the past. What I haven't really dealt with is kernel or driver development, so while I can map everything out I'm not going to know what it all means.

I have identified multiple functions involved with the audio path, but two of the most interesting seem to be AudioPath2PDA and AudioPath2GSM. Each of them calls the same 3 main functions, but the order is different. AudioPath2PDA disables the receiver, sets the flags and registry that the phone is not active, and then changes the audio mode. AudioPath2GSM turns the hearing aid on (if enabled), sets the flags, sets the audio mode, and then enables the receiver. There is a conditional check on the last step that I think has to do if speakerphone is enabled or not, but it is dependent on a pointer I haven't mapped yet.

Kushiel

P.S. Before anyone asks why there are GSM functions, I've been using the Topaz drivers referenced by ghost_deini.
Sounds like you guys are moving along with this nicely. Besides ghost_deni, has anyone else visited the irc room? Just want to make sure no one re-invents the wheel if the other devs already are on the same path.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible
Carrier: VZW

Kushiel is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ACL] View Post
Sounds like you guys are moving along with this nicely. Besides ghost_deni, has anyone else visited the irc room? Just want to make sure no one re-invents the wheel if the other devs already are on the same path.
I actually haven't spoken to any of the devs on the project or joined the irc; I just had some time over the weekend so I thought I would take a crack at it. That being said, I would be delighted to work with other devs to get this taken care of. My wife was jealous of my TP2 when she had a TP, but now that I've moved on to the Incredible and she has the TP2 she wants Android and all the apps!

A little more back on topic, this blog post has some good info on how WM deals with audio: http://blogs.msdn.com/medmedia/archi...ing-guide.aspx As a result, I have been focusing on the HardwareContext class.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: tp2

[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
I actually haven't spoken to any of the devs on the project or joined the irc; I just had some time over the weekend so I thought I would take a crack at it. That being said, I would be delighted to work with other devs to get this taken care of. My wife was jealous of my TP2 when she had a TP, but now that I've moved on to the Incredible and she has the TP2 she wants Android and all the apps!

A little more back on topic, this blog post has some good info on how WM deals with audio: http://blogs.msdn.com/medmedia/archi...ing-guide.aspx As a result, I have been focusing on the HardwareContext class.
Jump in anytime you can. I'm not involved in the sound dev but i know we had 2 guys go into it. Phh and Jonpry were the ones tackling the issue. So just look for them on the irc board.

I spoke to phh to let him know that you guys started this. Here is what he said.

<phh> [acl]: for sound, can you tell the guy to take care of adsp*.dll stuff ?
<phh> (adsp rtos something) adsprtossvccore

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by [ACL]; 05-24-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D™

Unknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuff

Kushiel, I'm not sure that the Topaz drivers being disassembled are going to help us here. Correct me if i'm wrong here, but my guess is that the topaz and the rhodium translate the audio signals differently... however, I'm sure it won't hurt to have a fully disassembled topaz driver

Also judging by the first post here I would guess that what they are looking for is to figure out the way it activates the QDSP5000 processor, currently when they are trying to activate it using a "known" or "common" method, it doesn't respond.

I don't know much about either topics, but I would say that there's where we need to start, how to invoke the processor itself so that it will respond to the calls made to it.

But, assuming I'm correct in that the topaz and rhodium deal with sound differently in their drivers, it also might be a good idea to get a copy of the rhodiums driver rather than the topaz's driver... If needed, I can see about pulling it from my phone or re-compiling the file from the sys files...

Phone: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
ROM: Synergy Nightly with Own Mods
"If you have the stereo on, why would you turn up the volume on the TV?" 'Cause I like to party
Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hybrid Touch Pro2

Tilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuff

guys just thought id share something...
on WinMo... there s a program called HD Tweak (NOT HD2 Tweak)
you gotta check this out...
ok, on your TP2, load up HD Tweak.cab (you can find it here on ppcg... remember from the HD1 NOT HD2 Tweak.
Open it and go to the volume settings... Change it from 100db limited to MAXIMAL... Also raise the volume to High on that same config tree...
Reset your phone... In WinMo you will see that the volume is like tripled of that on Audiopara tweak... Awesome... BUT your microphone is now dead... Weird right... Not as much as this... Boot into droid now... Still no sound, and mic is dead too! Change the setting in WinMo and its back..

i think sound has been working the whole time... its just being routed differently...
ive heard of people getting programs like pandora to play sound in android... how?
Your welcome
Old 05-24-2010, 02:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D™

Unknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuff

While it's strange that this happens, I'm not sure that it has any bearing on why it's not working. They've already said that they have no idea why the phone calls work with regards to both the mic and the earpiece sound, it just works.

Now if for whatever reason it made the sound play, then we might be on to something.

A good observation though, and it's possible it could help.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: RhodiumW
Carrier: sprint

ghost_deini is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownforce View Post
Kushiel, I'm not sure that the Topaz drivers being disassembled are going to help us here. Correct me if i'm wrong here, but my guess is that the topaz and the rhodium translate the audio signals differently... however, I'm sure it won't hurt to have a fully disassembled topaz driver

Also judging by the first post here I would guess that what they are looking for is to figure out the way it activates the QDSP5000 processor, currently when they are trying to activate it using a "known" or "common" method, it doesn't respond.

I don't know much about either topics, but I would say that there's where we need to start, how to invoke the processor itself so that it will respond to the calls made to it.

But, assuming I'm correct in that the topaz and rhodium deal with sound differently in their drivers, it also might be a good idea to get a copy of the rhodiums driver rather than the topaz's driver... If needed, I can see about pulling it from my phone or re-compiling the file from the sys files...
You can't move the wavdev.dll from your phone(i was trying for almost a day) b/c its part of the execute in place kernel, XIP, of winmo. So I went into the irc and phh told me to google topaz oem drivers. As he is one of the most involved devs I did not question him.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:07 PM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man
Pocket PC: HTC Evo & TP2
Carrier: SpRinT

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JDM_SOHC

I remember on the TP1 there was an issue with ICR "In-Call Recording" and I was able to copy my wavedev.dll file to my storage card and than from my computer... Not sure if that helps any, but give it a shot...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2