PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113373)

Eschelon 03-11-2010 02:59 AM

Re: Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

To those who can't get the live animated wallpapers to work with the most recent builds, if you really want to get it working you'll need to remove the hw3d.force=1 text from your startup.txt file. This is what's preventing most of the live wallpapers from functioning properly (a few will still work, but they'll be choppy)

See for yourself: Delete the hw3d text and boot Android. Once you get past the 'X' splash screen you'll see the live wallpapers are working fine. Then close Android, add the hw3d text to your startup file again and boot up Android a second time. Live wallpapers broken again...

evertec 03-11-2010 03:03 AM

So... I see everyone suggesting to take out the sim card but what if you want to run in GSM mode? Should I use the GSM version of Android or are the drivers different?

sugosugita 03-11-2010 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evertec (Post 1622179)
So... I see everyone suggesting to take out the sim card but what if you want to run in GSM mode? Should I use the GSM version of Android or are the drivers different?

OK you have a freakin Sprint CDMA phone and most likely paying for it somehow....if you are still in the states why would you want to even touch the GSM side?
:scratch:

bikeandestroyx 03-11-2010 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugosugita (Post 1622194)
OK you have a freakin Sprint CDMA phone and most likely paying for it somehow....if you are still in the states why would you want to even touch the GSM side?

You have a tmobile/at&t sim with their service on a sprint/vzw tp2.
I have the vzw tp2 with tmobile service now... There are a few people that have this also.

info[]box1 03-11-2010 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eschelon (Post 1622173)
To those who can't get the live animated wallpapers to work with the most recent builds, if you really want to get it working you'll need to remove the hw3d.force=1 text from your startup.txt file. This is what's preventing most of the live wallpapers from functioning properly (a few will still work, but they'll be choppy)

See for yourself: Delete the hw3d text and boot Android. Once you get past the 'X' splash screen you'll see the live wallpapers are working fine. Then close Android, add the hw3d text to your startup file again and boot up Android a second time. Live wallpapers broken again...

In the startup.txt file I dont see "hw3d" text.... All I see is "htc_hw.force_cdma=1"... btw I never added that command line personally, so I shouldnt have nothing to sorry about. To get my live wallpapers back all I need to do is follow the below instructions...??

Q: How do you get Live Wallpaper working like it did in previous builds?

A: The easiest way to get this going is to install a File Manager in Android, I recommend Astro File Manager in the Market. Once installed, you will first need to Allow android to install unknown source apps. Goto the Home screen and press the menu button. Tap Settings, and then Tap Applications. Check the box at the top that says Unknown Sources. Confirm by tapping OK. No run Astro File manager or whatever you chose. Browse to the AndroidApps/Media folder on the SDCard. There is an app called LiveWallpapersPicker. Tap this file and Tap Open App Manager. Then Tap Install. And again, Tap the Install button now at the bottom. Now Tap Done. Once it is installed, Live Wallpapers should be enabled. You can now install the livewallpaper.matrix and the livewallpaper.starfield included with the build the same way you did the LiveWallpapersPicker. And/or browse the market for even more selections. Keep in mind currently we don't have Graphic Acceleration quite yet. But some might run regardless, just slower. Also note, currently Home++ UI will not show the Live Wallpaper, hopefully soon. But the default Home UI will as well as the Lock Screen even if you do wish to use Home++ UI. For those that don't know how to select Wallpaper, goto your Home screen and press the Menu Button and Tap Wallpapers. If you want Live Wallpaper, tap Live Wallpapers and then Tap the wallpaper you wish to enable. Then once the preview comes up, either tap the settings to adjust to your liking or just tap Set wallpaper.

edit: instructions above works perfectly, if you havnt added any command line codes personally....!!!

evertec 03-11-2010 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugosugita (Post 1622194)

I'm not still in the states :-)... working in germany for 6 months.

lipidfats 03-11-2010 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by info[]box1 (Post 1622201)
For those that don't know how to select Wallpaper, goto your Home screen and press the Menu Button and Tap Wallpapers. If you want Live Wallpaper, tap Live Wallpapers and then Tap the wallpaper you wish to enable. Then once the preview comes up, either tap the settings to adjust to your liking or just tap Set wallpaper.

is there a way to set our own wallpaper? i figured we could using astro browser, but i couldn't figure it out....

info[]box1 03-11-2010 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidfats (Post 1622238)
is there a way to set our own wallpaper? i figured we could using astro browser, but i couldn't figure it out....

I believe so, I seen a screen shot of a home screen w/ personal wall paper. Try astro file manager to locate a pic on your sdcard. Once you locate the pic use the touch and go tech(clicking around for menu option etc.) for success. This is the best I can do, Im behind on the android biz for the past week. Plus I love the live wallpaper for now. I know Im going to get burned out of them soon...lol

hope this help...

gsd3782 03-11-2010 08:46 AM

After about a minute of running Android, my phone restarts. It's done this twice in a row - and I can't figure out what the issue is. Everything else is working as it should.

Can someone help?
(I have the VZW TP2)

bytethegroove 03-11-2010 08:52 AM

maybe its just me, and I dont mean to be a ****, but shouldnt this thread be about developement of android, like sound and wifi and data and such...
I think to have to read 20 pages of bs about live wallpapers should be another thread...this thread has 80 pages, and more than 60% is garbage space....
Just my 2 cents..
I think all this unecessary talk about stuff thats not needed, is just slowing down developement....
Again I dont mean to be an ass and Im sorry if this offends someone...but now that we have our own subforum...I think non playing with software and or games belongs in another thread....instead of freaking live wallpapers, lets worry about sound and power management
peace
byte

info[]box1 03-11-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsd3782 (Post 1622358)
After about a minute of running Android, my phone restarts. It's done this twice in a row - and I can't figure out what the issue is. Everything else is working as it should.

Can someone help?
(I have the VZW TP2)

Seriously what class is your sdcard.? Class of sdcard does matter.?

HOw do you have things setup on the sdcard.? IN folder out folder..?

You kindof have to state alittle of how you do things w/ a prolbem.

People are doing things different because the info coming across.

defiantone 03-11-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelagraham (Post 1622128)
There are some instructions that show how to remove the sim here:

http://www.myvusers.com/forums/htc-t...ouch-pro2.html

Don't feel like an idiot; I didn't even know that I had a sim or what it was used for until I started messing with Android. :)

------

thank you....all this time I didn't see that notch up top..I again it is a simple procedure when you know what to do...

cflynt 03-11-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evertec (Post 1622179)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx (Post 1622196)
You have a tmobile/at&t sim with their service on a sprint/vzw tp2.
I have the vzw tp2 with tmobile service now... There are a few people that have this also.

The rootfs.img that MrPippy posted in Post#1 is for CDMA only. If you are wanting to use your SIM and use it on GSM, you can just use the standard rootfs.img posted here:

http://xdandroid.southcape.org/rootfs/

The changes for the RIL currently aren't merged into that branch. We are running the same rootfs.img with a different library just for CDMA. So honestly you don't even need to worry about this thread. GSM as far as I know has had Voice and Data for awhile now. And the rootfs.img is currently the only thing different us CDMA'ers are using that is different than GSM.

And it is probably confusing, if you are using a CDMA phone but on a GSM network. But regardless if you are running GSM you don't need the stuff we are dealing with in this thread.

Hope that clears some things up.

00_MACKIE_00 03-11-2010 11:10 AM

yawnn... Mornin' Android followers:mrgreen:

animez 03-11-2010 11:18 AM

FYI - According to Gizmodo Opera Mini 5 is now available for Android;

http://www.opera.com/mini/next

Can't have my phone at work so I have not been able to check it out yet.

bertimus2002 03-11-2010 11:34 AM

It seems that a lot of updates have been happening the past few days. I would LOVE to use this OS as my day to day OS since I am on SERO. Does everyone think it will be a way off before the ringtone/other items become supported and functioning?

Also, anyone that has any tips to get my Exchange Account calendar to sync, that'd be great.

TIA

youngpro83 03-11-2010 11:48 AM

Hey I have been following this Android project for a minute, but have stopped after the latest release being that it was coming along so fast and I was going to wait until all the fixes were ironed out. So has there been any progress as far as the sound? That was my biggest gripe about using it....other than the battery life, but that is all droids. I cant stand the battery life on Android devices.

cflynt 03-11-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertimus2002 (Post 1622612)
Also, anyone that has any tips to get my Exchange Account calendar to sync, that'd be great.

TIA

I personally would like this as well, the only thing I have really found that is good so far is an app in the marketplace called "Touchdown" http://www.nitrodesk.com/index.aspx It does full activesync with Exchange. But doesn't integrate with the phone's calendar or contact app. So you have to use it's widget is what I have found to work best on a screen to look up contacts. But it has it's calendar as well. If someone comes up with a Free app let me know. I don't mind paying the $20 this one costs, but would rather have it integrate with the regular contacts/calendar so that when I am in my dialer I can look up contacts. But it has a 30 day trial, so just checking it out fully and will start reading up on its capabilities. It might just be a setting.

Kenaf 03-11-2010 11:58 AM

Super excited about this project as well.. once Android is fully functional I will probably use it as my primary OS on my TP2. Just need some ringtones (and letting me leave my SIM card in permanently would be nice) and I'm in! Thanks for all your hard work, will likely donate soon.

sfxc13 03-11-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by animez (Post 1622573)
FYI - According to Gizmodo Opera Mini 5 is now available for Android;

http://www.opera.com/mini/next

Can't have my phone at work so I have not been able to check it out yet.

Download Opera Mini 5 via the market place. Doesn't seem to be as fast as the winmo native version, but is considerably better than the android opera 4 version.

That being said it crashed when I tried to post a comment here.

Quote:

TIA

You will need some 3rd party support to sync your exchange calendar. One option I have used in the past is syncmycal (there is both a free version and a paid version.) This will allow you to sync your exchange calendar to google calendar.

reekotubbs 03-11-2010 12:26 PM

Since this is not windows what is the equivalent to ICS? I really need this to be able to use this as my main OS. Is there an wmwifirouter or a htc wifirouter equivalent, as seeing that many android devices are htc.

sfxc13 03-11-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reekotubbs (Post 1622754)
Since this is not windows what is the equivalent to ICS? I really need this to be able to use this as my main OS. Is there an wmwifirouter or a htc wifirouter equivalent, as seeing that many android devices are htc.

pdanet would be the ics comparable, but won't work as we don't have usb control yet

there is a project for wifi tethering which was linked to a dozen pages back or so (quick search should find it)

reekotubbs 03-11-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxc13 (Post 1622760)
pdanet would be the ics comparable, but won't work as we don't have usb control yet

there is a project for wifi tethering which was linked to a dozen pages back or so (quick search should find it)

Thanks, but I am unable to locate the thread you have mentioned. I searched for tethering, ics, wifi, but no luck.

lipidfats 03-11-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bytethegroove (Post 1622364)
maybe its just me, and I dont mean to be a ****, but shouldnt this thread be about developement of android, like sound and wifi and data and such...
I think to have to read 20 pages of bs about live wallpapers should be another thread...this thread has 80 pages, and more than 60% is garbage space....
Just my 2 cents..
I think all this unecessary talk about stuff thats not needed, is just slowing down developement....
Again I dont mean to be an ass and Im sorry if this offends someone...but now that we have our own subforum...I think non playing with software and or games belongs in another thread....instead of freaking live wallpapers, lets worry about sound and power management
peace
byte

i agree, that's why i created this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113463
but nobody seems to want to join in on the apps/themes fun over there... guess this forum isn't bumpin enough jsut yet for everyone to leave the sticky thread.

In other news... looks like Pippy's contribution made engadget http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/11/h...loves-it-vide/

Mazzakre 03-11-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

It seems that a lot of updates have been happening the past few days. I would LOVE to use this OS as my day to day OS since I am on SERO. Does everyone think it will be a way off before the ringtone/other items become supported and functioning?

TIA

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngpro83 (Post 1622637)
Hey I have been following this Android project for a minute, but have stopped after the latest release being that it was coming along so fast and I was going to wait until all the fixes were ironed out. So has there been any progress as far as the sound? That was my biggest gripe about using it....other than the battery life, but that is all droids. I cant stand the battery life on Android devices.

Does anyone happen to know how the development of the GSM port went? What features did they get functioning in what order? How long between the initial ability to get some function before it became fully functional? Maybe that will give us an idea of what our own timeline might be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cflynt (Post 1622665)
I personally would like this as well, the only thing I have really found that is good so far is an app in the marketplace called "Touchdown" http://www.nitrodesk.com/index.aspx It does full activesync with Exchange. But doesn't integrate with the phone's calendar or contact app. So you have to use it's widget is what I have found to work best on a screen to look up contacts. But it has it's calendar as well. If someone comes up with a Free app let me know. I don't mind paying the $20 this one costs, but would rather have it integrate with the regular contacts/calendar so that when I am in my dialer I can look up contacts. But it has a 30 day trial, so just checking it out fully and will start reading up on its capabilities. It might just be a setting.

I use gmail, google calender and google contacts as my exchange. Extremely easy setup (Especially in android since it detects it automatically), my contacts, calender and email uploads automatically with initial setup. If you guys (and especially the ones that want to use android full time) wanna get contacts and stuff setup try having using google for at least contacts but Id suggest calender as well. Im sure theres a way to export your contact list from whatever exchange you use to google relatively easily.

sfxc13 03-11-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reekotubbs (Post 1622826)
Thanks, but I am unable to locate the thread you have mentioned. I searched for tethering, ics, wifi, but no luck.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=778
The link in the post gives info for bothe wired and wireless tethering

direct link to wifi tether:
http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...neKernelUpdate

Mazzakre 03-11-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reekotubbs (Post 1622826)

Here is the PDAnet.

edit:
This may not be stealth so its likely your provider may be able to see you tethering and charge you. Also, since the battery life on android is HORRIBLE tethering probably isnt the best way to go right now. If I were you Id tether with WM when I need to.

reekotubbs 03-11-2010 01:26 PM

I also found this on life hackers for android tethering:
http://lifehacker.com/5447347/how-to...-android-phone

they list 3 methods:
Method 1: Tether Android with Apps that Need Root (Free, heavy configuration)

Method 2: Tether Android with Proxoid (Free, no root required, some configuration)

Method 3: Tether Android with PDAnet ($30, no root required, minimal configuration)

Don't know if they will work for our build, but will try.

sfxc13 03-11-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reekotubbs (Post 1622898)
I also found this on life hackers for android tethering:
http://lifehacker.com/5447347/how-to...-android-phone

they list 3 methods:
Method 1: Tether Android with Apps that Need Root (Free, heavy configuration)

Method 2: Tether Android with Proxoid (Free, no root required, some configuration)

Method 3: Tether Android with PDAnet ($30, no root required, minimal configuration)

Don't know if they will work for our build, but will try.

Didn't check the link, but we are already "rooted" so the first method may be easier than lifehacker implies

ShadowDrake 03-11-2010 01:39 PM

I put together all the files this morning on my SD card, putting it all into a folder. Followed directions word-for-word and it doesn't work.

Well, it boots, loads completely. Runs for 10-15 seconds. It dials to enable data, freezes, and restarts the phone. I didn't find much searching this thread, so any ideas?

00_MACKIE_00 03-11-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazzakre (Post 1622842)
Does anyone happen to know how the development of the GSM port went? What features did they get functioning in what order? How long between the initial ability to get some function before it became fully functional? Maybe that will give us an idea of what our own timeline might be.

I use gmail, google calender and google contacts as my exchange. Extremely easy setup (Especially in android since it detects it automatically), my contacts, calender and email uploads automatically with initial setup. If you guys (and especially the ones that want to use android full time) wanna get contacts and stuff setup try having using google for at least contacts but Id suggest calender as well. Im sure theres a way to export your contact list from whatever exchange you use to google relatively easily.

The GSM development of the Rhodium is over at XDA Developers, I follow it as much as I follow this thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=627997

violentz313 03-11-2010 02:03 PM

mackie could you post the files u where talking about in the screen shots post that you said where much faster

00_MACKIE_00 03-11-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violentz313 (Post 1622978)
mackie could you post the files u where talking about in the screen shots post that you said where much faster

Can't right now, got a doc appt in about 2 1/2 hours and then I am heading home for the day and watching some hoops. I will try to see if I can get it done tonight. Not sure what kind of screenshots you want though?

violentz313 03-11-2010 02:11 PM

lol my bad no you where talking about a new faster kernel in the screen shots thread.

00_MACKIE_00 03-11-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violentz313 (Post 1622996)
lol my bad no you where talking about a new faster kernel in the screen shots thread.

Oh that wasnt a proven deal just seemed faster to me. I dunno, to each their own. I am actually done playing with kernels and modules until Pippy releases his next set of goodies.

superevilllama 03-11-2010 02:14 PM

hehe I just took a look at the GSM thread and they have this posted.. I think we should also include it on our own first page:

Notes: Read this before you start!

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR YOU TO COME HERE AND TELL US WHICH OF YOUR FEATURES IS THE MOST WANTED. WE ALL WANT THIS OS COMPLETELY WORKING, WE ALL WANT SOUND, WE ALL WANT BT, WE DONT NEED TO HEAR YOU SAY THAT ANDROID IS USELESS WITHOUT CERTAIN FEATURES. BE PATIENT LIKE THE REST OF US.

If you think you need to post a question in this thread: READ THE ENTIRE THREAD AND USE SEARCH FIRST. Most questions have already been answered in this thread. I don't mind answering GOOD questions, but I really hate people asking the same questions over and over, ESPECIALLY when the answer is only a few pages before your post. DONT BE LAZY, THIS FORUM IS FOR DEVELOPMENT, NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

If you mis-calibrate your device: Boot back into WinMo, delete ts-calibration file from your SD card, and re-run Haret!

For better performance and battery life use task killer to end all apps after Android boots, there will be a LOT of them running about 50mb of RAM worth. Some apps also keep your handset from entering sleep mode. I also go to settings > location and turn off the GPS, as its not working right now anyways.

00_MACKIE_00 03-11-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superevilllama (Post 1623005)
hehe I just took a look at the GSM thread and they have this posted.. I think we should also include it on our own first page:

Notes: Read this before you start!

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR YOU TO COME HERE AND TELL US WHICH OF YOUR FEATURES IS THE MOST WANTED. WE ALL WANT THIS OS COMPLETELY WORKING, WE ALL WANT SOUND, WE ALL WANT BT, WE DONT NEED TO HEAR YOU SAY THAT ANDROID IS USELESS WITHOUT CERTAIN FEATURES. BE PATIENT LIKE THE REST OF US.

If you think you need to post a question in this thread: READ THE ENTIRE THREAD AND USE SEARCH FIRST. Most questions have already been answered in this thread. I don't mind answering GOOD questions, but I really hate people asking the same questions over and over, ESPECIALLY when the answer is only a few pages before your post. DONT BE LAZY, THIS FORUM IS FOR DEVELOPMENT, NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

If you mis-calibrate your device: Boot back into WinMo, delete ts-calibration file from your SD card, and re-run Haret!

For better performance and battery life use task killer to end all apps after Android boots, there will be a LOT of them running about 50mb of RAM worth. Some apps also keep your handset from entering sleep mode. I also go to settings > location and turn off the GPS, as its not working right now anyways.

Yeah I saw that. Pretty funny.

locomariachi 03-11-2010 02:23 PM

Idk if anyone saw on engadget.com they have the info on Android running on the TP2's just saw it, pretty cool that its getting mainstreamed.

Mazzakre 03-11-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowDrake (Post 1622932)
I put together all the files this morning on my SD card, putting it all into a folder. Followed directions word-for-word and it doesn't work.

Well, it boots, loads completely. Runs for 10-15 seconds. It dials to enable data, freezes, and restarts the phone. I didn't find much searching this thread, so any ideas?

The instructions are to put ALL the files directly into the root of the sdcard NOT in a folder. Should work fine from the root, some problems from folders (Android, andboot). Also, even with correct file placement it may reset initially a few times before it takes. Has happened to alot of us.

Mazzakre 03-11-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1622954)
The GSM development of the Rhodium is over at XDA Developers, I follow it as much as I follow this thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=627997

Thanks. I was under the impression that Android was fully working on GSM. Guess I was mistaken. Maybe when I was reading posts early on, by "fully" people meant that it functions.

On another note:
Can someone let me know whats stopping bluetooth and sounds from working? I remember someone saying something about power management not allowing sound to work but I dont understand how that can be. Looking at haret load there are some bluetooth items that appear to load correctly. Is it that bluetooth works but no sound like maybe you send files by bluetooth but cant stream music?
Id really like to help get stuff working but first I need to understand why its not.