PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113373)

makkonen 03-10-2010 03:36 PM

Re: Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

Then try updating the system.sqsh. There was one with market issues. I thought it was not the one included in Civic's package, but I could be mistaken.

cvasale 03-10-2010 03:40 PM

Where is the option to turn off the dim light on WM? I'm stuggling to find it =\

Edit: nvm, found it in settings, but I'm not sure what all needs to be turned off. I'm running Plutonium ROM, Do I need to turn off auto adjusting backlight as well? or just the dimming if the device is not used for x amount of time

makkonen 03-10-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clifftrue (Post 1620606)
Also as you should be able to add the "rel_path=Android" to the command line startup.txt like Civic said many, many pages ago...

I will be testing and reporting back in an hour or so.

I think actually I said it. about 65 pages ago.

OK, now I pretty much am trying to be an ass. :-)

cvasale: To disable automatic backlight control in WinMo, go to Settings -> System -> Power -> Backlight and deselect 'Auto Adjust Backlight'

I don't believe you need to turn off dimming (i.e. 'Turn off backlight if device is not used for x mins')

silverwire 03-10-2010 03:48 PM

Downloaded the files... Got them on the SD card's root...
...now, the only missing piece to get it running is the actual TP2.\\:D/

...Still having fun playing with HTC Hero right now.

biff6789 03-10-2010 03:54 PM

I've followed this thread since day one and have read every post, but I still have a few questions that still bother me:

1) What is the cause for the phone soft resetting itself the first few times you run a new Android build? Is there a way to pervent it?

2) Why does Android always act all weird at first boot where some screens are in landscape, and others portait?

3) Is there a way to 'force' the 3G data connection? Sometimes it doesn't turn on for me and I can't figure out how to force data

loader187 03-10-2010 04:01 PM

Cicatrize - any idea what the new kernal does yet?

ecker 03-10-2010 04:05 PM

not sure if this has been addressed- but everyone in awhile i get the E symbol instead of 3G.. is that mean EvDO? I did a speed test-- but not during the E and got almost 1mb down and couple hundred up-- can't remember specifically.

keep up the good work!

RKnight 03-10-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecker (Post 1620733)
not sure if this has been addressed- but everyone in awhile i get the E symbol instead of 3G.. is that mean EvDO? I did a speed test-- but not during the E and got almost 1mb down and couple hundred up-- can't remember specifically.

keep up the good work!

Yes the "E" does stand for EVDO and I have never seen that myself in Android. If this is the case that it does show E when we are on EVDO, it makes me wonder what the 3G stands for ..... possibly only 1x

WisdomWolfX 03-10-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecker (Post 1620733)

keep up the good work!

I'm pretty sure those symbols are GSM. So 3G = EVDO and E = Edge aka 1x.

steveholtam 03-10-2010 04:21 PM

For those that are having problems getting Android to load, someone a dozen pages back gave me a suggestion that worked. Copy all the files off your memory card to your PC. Format the memory card (Fat32). Take all the files found in the android zip found in post #1, and move them to your memory card. Run Haret.

That worked for me. I am now moving all my files back to the memory card, leaving the root directory alone for Android.

Good work to all who help and helped with this project.

RKnight 03-10-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX (Post 1620779)
I'm pretty sure those symbols are GSM. So 3G = EVDO and E = Edge aka 1x.

OK that would make sense then, I haven't had GSM in while and forgot all about EDGE

animez 03-10-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clifftrue (Post 1620606)
Also as you should be able to add the "rel_path=Android" to the command line startup.txt like Civic said many, many pages ago...

I will be testing and reporting back in an hour or so.

I can confirm this works perfectly as long as you have the latest initramfs;

http://xdandroid.southcape.org/initramfs/

I have everything in a "Droidboot" folder and have had no problems.

sfxc13 03-10-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by animez (Post 1620803)
I can confirm this works perfectly as long as you have the latest initramfs;

http://xdandroid.southcape.org/initramfs/

I have everything in a "Droidboot" folder and have had no problems.

Love the image in your sig
Do you mind if I use it also?

cflynt 03-10-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makkonen (Post 1620566)
Edit: I guess it is in the FAQ. Oops. Nevermind. With the latest initramfs, rootfs should go in the andboot folder without complaint. It's working for me (on a Touch Pro, but that shouldn't make any difference.)

There's gonna be a lot of posts on here if there's an update for every new kernel. Sometimes there are 4 or 5 in a day..

I had the info in the FAQ but forgot that MrPippy wasn't pointing them at a new initrd.gz, so they were using the one from the android build. So I updated the faq to represent that heh.

And on the updating a zip on every kernel, you took the words right out of my mouth.

cflynt 03-10-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violentz313 (Post 1620598)
quick question... im using a combo of civics old files and some of these new ones and im getting the server error in android market can anyone tell me what specific file i need to replace to fix this without putting a whole new package on.

I think this already got answered by Makkonen, but the Market was fixed in the RIL with the IMEI stuff in the rootfs.img in Post#1 of this thread. The rootfs.img that MrPippy gave Civic didn't have the IMEI stuff. So just make sure you have the proper one in there.

cflynt 03-10-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biff6789 (Post 1620692)
1) What is the cause for the phone soft resetting itself the first few times you run a new Android build? Is there a way to pervent it?

I am sorry, I don't have an answer for something that doesn't seem to be happening to everyone. There are some that say it goes into a reboot loop, but I don't know if they determined the true answer other than possible corruption on their storage card. Most fixed by formatting their card and copying the files over fresh. Might give that a whirl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by biff6789 (Post 1620692)
2) Why does Android always act all weird at first boot where some screens are in landscape, and others portait?

Not quite sure, guessing due to the current state of the android build doesn't see the GSensor properly and goes to a default Landscape view. To fix it has been stated to just press your Windows key and you should be good.

animez 03-10-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxc13 (Post 1620820)
Love the image in your sig
Do you mind if I use it also?

LOL! Go for it, someone offered it up in 95Civic's thread. :mrgreen:

00_MACKIE_00 03-10-2010 04:54 PM

Wonder if Pippy is working hard on something?

zunairryk 03-10-2010 04:55 PM

Can some one who have no issues with screen post their ts-calibration file please, i keep messing it up its really fraustrating. I think there's a glitch, bc the screen gets really responsive (in a bad way) that if you try to hold a widget or shortcut to delete it, it will just open that app/widget. I tried many times to calibrate the screen again, and every time i do it, it works fine for a lil bit, but then after like 10 mins,it gets super responsive by itself. Have no idea why

Eschelon 03-10-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zunairryk (Post 1620884)
Can some one who have no issues with screen post their ts-calibration file please, i keep messing it up its really fraustrating. I think there's a glitch, bc the screen gets really responsive (in a bad way) that if you try to hold a widget or shortcut to delete it, it will just open that app/widget. I tried many times to calibrate the screen again, and every time i do it, it works fine for a lil bit, but then after like 10 mins,it gets super responsive by itself. Have no idea why

Mackie posted one here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...3&d=1268057565

As far as the screen being ULTRA sensitive goes... the devs know about it and are working to fix it. Your issue regarding this is not independent to you only. We all feel your pain :thumbleft:

superevilllama 03-10-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zunairryk (Post 1620884)

Hence why the first post says touch screen issues... its not a calibration thing. This is extremely alpha/beta build style.. not really meant to be fully working yet.

biff6789 03-10-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cflynt (Post 1620838)
I am sorry, I don't have an answer for something that doesn't seem to be happening to everyone. There are some that say it goes into a reboot loop, but I don't know if they determined the true answer other than possible corruption on their storage card. Most fixed by formatting their card and copying the files over fresh. Might give that a whirl.

Not quite sure, guessing due to the current state of the android build doesn't see the GSensor properly and goes to a default Landscape view. To fix it has been stated to just press your Windows key and you should be good.

Thanks for the responses. You've been thanked

Got one more question: When replacing the zImage file and modules whenever a new build comes out from here, do I need to delete my data.img file and start over from scratch? I don't care either way as I don't mind setting everything up again, I just want to make sure that an old data.img file won't have problems with a newer kernel

00_MACKIE_00 03-10-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biff6789 (Post 1620917)
Thanks for the responses. You've been thanked

Got one more question: When replacing the zImage file and modules whenever a new build comes out from here, do I need to delete my data.img file and start over from scratch? I don't care either way as I don't mind setting everything up again, I just want to make sure that an old data.img file won't have problems with a newer kernel

when all I am doing is adding modules and zImage, I just replace those two things on the SD card and keep on going. If I run into problems, I wipe it all.

Cicatrize 03-10-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loader187 (Post 1620715)
Cicatrize - any idea what the new kernal does yet?

New kernel is nothing new for us.

JustusIV 03-10-2010 05:29 PM

I am not exactly sure how to read the webpage http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android/. I see comments below and it looks like 4 or 5 different builds. What exactly am i looking at?

flyers2114 03-10-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cflynt (Post 1620827)
I had the info in the FAQ but forgot that MrPippy wasn't pointing them at a new initrd.gz, so they were using the one from the android build. So I updated the faq to represent that heh.

And on the updating a zip on every kernel, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I agree I have been watching the threads closely and will only update if it is something that is giving us gains...reason being for the last one, seemed a little snappier...:mrgreen:....it is real simple to try em out though...

flyers2114 03-10-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustusIV (Post 1620982)
I am not exactly sure how to read the webpage http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android/. I see comments below and it looks like 4 or 5 different builds. What exactly am i looking at?

any of them you want to try....

JustusIV 03-10-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers2114 (Post 1620993)
any of them you want to try....

So the comments on the right side aren't specific builds they are just comments on what they were working on within the kernel maybe?

SOHKis 03-10-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustusIV (Post 1620997)
So the comments on the right side aren't specific builds they are just comments on what they were working on within the kernel maybe?

correct sir!

(well the comments are specific to that build, & are generally organized by device)

JustusIV 03-10-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOHKis (Post 1621001)
correct sir!

Nice, i kinda feel like an idiot but makes a lot more sense now.

*EDIT*
Side note here
I was trying to show someone last night when my battery was super low like 10%ish
and it would never go off the splash screen,
After a charge it worked fine. And was worked every time except then, and i attempted a few times.
Anyone else experience that?

Eschelon 03-10-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustusIV (Post 1620982)

The page looks intimidating, but it's actually quite straight-forward. Here's a quick guide on how to navigate it:

Each new updated kernel is timestamped on the left column so that you can tell when it was last updated. Sometimes they update half a dozen times or more a day so it's not necessary to test ever single kernel as it comes out. Unless you want to, of course...

To see the changelog (i.e. what's different/new/fixed about the newest kernel), place your mouse over the button listed under 'Build Log' and a screen will pop up that will allow you to read the changes. Usually it's only one change at a time and many of them are not even related to the Rhodium (a.k.a. Touch Pro2)

In the column further to the right are user comments from those who have tested that particular kernel. At the top of their comment it shows which phone they were using since these kernels are generally phone independent. So, for example, someone with a Diamond will list something like "##DIAM100##" followed by their results with that particular kernel, but that doesn't mean that that kernel is incompatible with your particular device so you can still use it. Pay close attention, though, to any user comments with the word "RHOD" in the title of their comment as this is someone who has specifically tested that kernel on the TP2

Sometimes a lot of comments are made, in which case you just place your mouse over the "..." at the end of that kernel's comment section and it will open a new popup window again with all comments showing. If the text is so long that it can't fit on the page, leave your mouse exactly where it is and use the arrow keys on your keyboard to scroll down. If you move your mouse, you'll lose the popup window

The votes on the far right are where users have reported if the build is stable or not

To download a kernel, simply click the button under 'Package' and then replace the zImage and module files on your phone. Be sure to rename the zImage file to exactly that (i.e. 'zImage' without the quotes - remove the rest of the stuff)

Porting an entire OS is very much not a scientific process. It's a lot of trial and error so a new build is not ALWAYS better than an old one. Sometimes newer builds break stuff. For example, the latest build currently listed as I write this won't even boot up past the splash screen for Diamond users, even though the build just before it worked fine. So play around with it and if something breaks, just restore the zImage and modules from a previous build that works correctly

defiantone 03-10-2010 06:28 PM

I'm making progress.. Got it to say Verizon Wireless...but I could not make a call or use data...saw somewhere to check additional call settings..it never moved from that screen..
any suggestions..

edit:
by the way... what color should the signal strength bars be? Mine are grey...I'm thinking they should be green

ntsteele 03-10-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweena1 (Post 1618269)
And the updates keep coming. Now the keyboard and g-sensor are working.

Mr. Pippy - I made my first donation to the cause and in support of what the future will bring. I've never done it before, but you are making me a believer. I hope others are feeling the same way!

Me too. I am not huge on donating for things like this but it was so amazing i felt it was the best way to say thanks.

Eschelon 03-10-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defiantone (Post 1621131)
by the way... what color should the signal strength bars be? Mine are grey...I'm thinking they should be green

They are grey and white, with grey being total possible signal and white being actual signal. If yours are only grey then you likely have a weak signal

houseman 03-10-2010 06:56 PM

First,Thank everyone for the hard work.Everything is working as said,market,data. Now does it matter that my sprint phone on boot says gsm phone found!

ntsteele 03-10-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurbin (Post 1619763)
I was having the exact same problem with Verizon.

Make sure your SIM Card is removed from your phone. You shouldn't really even need WiFI for now.. but once you get booted into Android, go into settings > networks > wireless networks > (it will scan for networks) > and hit "select automatically". You might notice there is a blank name in the list of carriers it will show you, don't quote me.. but i'm guessing thats your CDMA provider. Anyhow, it should only take a few seconds, but it should register on the network and you should now have working 3g data. If this doesn't work, just make sure you follow all of the steps in the 1st and 3rd post.

*another tip..

Make 100% sure the build you are using from the kernel autobuild site actually works. You have to read through them sometimes to make sure certain changes they have made didn't effect anything major, so use your best judgement and try to find one that they say is the most stable and recent.

Hope this helps.

I had an issue with my wifi working too. Make sure that when you copy over the zImage to the root of the drive you delete the old modules and add the corresponding modules file (without renaming) to the root of the SD drive also. This fixed my wifi issue right away. This was using the build titled

Build: htc-msm-android@20100309_201223

clifftrue 03-10-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makkonen (Post 1620672)
I think actually I said it. about 65 pages ago.

OK, now I pretty much am trying to be an ass. :-)

cvasale: To disable automatic backlight control in WinMo, go to Settings -> System -> Power -> Backlight and deselect 'Auto Adjust Backlight'

I don't believe you need to turn off dimming (i.e. 'Turn off backlight if device is not used for x mins')

You are correct. You posted it on page 8 and Civic was page 36. Thanks to both of you for all of the great info.

00_MACKIE_00 03-10-2010 07:26 PM

Build: htc-msm-android@20100310_213242
kernel:24a58051c2ecb514cf4deecfff5628d1aa47a4d1 Wi-Fi:12e1f9b75b92213a6b028b3ab35a6e22f7217f80
Date: Wed Mar 10 21:32:42 2010 +0100

I loaded up this badboy, gonna play around with it.

wwjclemd 03-10-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1621239)
kernel:24a58051c2ecb514cf4deecfff5628d1aa47a4d1 Wi-Fi:12e1f9b75b92213a6b028b3ab35a6e22f7217f80

Let us know... So far, It looks like others have not had much luck with it booting :(

I hope you have better luck than the others.

Eschelon 03-10-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1621239)

Changes to both kernels today are for different devices. There's nothing new here for us TP2 users

But load it if you please. That's the nice part about this whole project - you don't have to wait for a chef to cook up a new build for you; you can do it yourself whenevs you want :thumbleft: