PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Sarcasm is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

This port is VERY impressive, thanks to all who have worked on it.

I'm curious though, how feasible is it to have sound, GPS, and the camera working before this device is so old that no one is interested anymore? Is it a matter of transplanting/modifying existing drivers for which the source is available, or is there a ton of reverse engineering and writing drivers from scratch that must be done?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2
Carrier: Verizon

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post

I'm curious though, how feasible is it to have sound, GPS, and the camera working before this device is so old that no one is interested anymore? Is it a matter of transplanting/modifying existing drivers for which the source is available, or is there a ton of reverse engineering and writing drivers from scratch that must be done?
I am also very appreciative and unable to comprehend the amount of great work that has already been done; but if I could respectfully ask, is there any very loose if even guesstimated timeline that anyone can toss out there as far as having a true fully functioning dual-boot Win/Android TP2 available?
August 12th... Droid-2! Still undecided; but leaning toward purchasing, as a phone to "tide" me over (according to great advice from ckeegan) until truly remarkable devices are released from Verizon fully operation on 4G networks in 2012!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:02 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post
I am also very appreciative and unable to comprehend the amount of great work that has already been done; but if I could respectfully ask, is there any very loose if even guesstimated timeline that anyone can toss out there as far as having a true fully functioning dual-boot Win/Android TP2 available?
Unfortunately it's fairly impossible to predict these things.

My guess is the summer but if you believe that, I have some swamp land to sell you.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO!! TP2 Toughbook CF19 Sprint WWAN
Carrier: SPRINT

morganlowe is keeping up the good workmorganlowe is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
Unfortunately it's fairly impossible to predict these things.

My guess is the summer but if you believe that, I have some swamp land to sell you.
Mmm, swamp... From what I have seen with the Touch, which is well out of production buy the time android was usable... Its a 50-50 chance. Good thing is though that the more HTC Android devices out there, the more drivers and ROMs there are to toy with and possibly advance this one.

Personally, I think the TP2 is the pinnacle of WinMo phones, I have no interest in WinMo7 and Having owned a Samsung Moment and HTC Hero.. not much in android. The big reason was the hardware, Love the screen and keyboard on this TP2, and with android even if its old and out of production it will still be a very viable phone for work and play.

Ask me about cutting Vinyl Stickers in a PM!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc Touch Pro 2

jeep447 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post

The obvious answer to that question is this phone will never get old!!! I'm still not tired of it and I usually cook through phones! Although I can kinda see where your coming from with the new evo 4g coming out soon...Either way I'm stayin with my tp2...I can rock winmo and android..Not many people can choose which op system they want to boot into! Thank you guys for all the hard work..I donated but I wish I could help more...You guys rock!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2

cflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Just so you guys know we have moved this to another thread. Doubt many will pay a lot of attention to the old.

http://www.ppcgeeks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115443
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700, HTC 6800, Moto Q, Moto Q9H, HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

Johnson2008 is a n00b

I know you guys like Android very much. However, I have to say, Android is so slow compared to Blackberry, iPhone, even Windows Mobile.

I tried it on TP2 and was very disappointed! I couldn't believe Android is such garbage.

My friend has HTC Hero with stock Android ROM, he also complained slowness several times!!!

What's the point to port Android to TP2?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

rushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson2008
I know you guys like Android very much. However, I have to say, Android is so slow compared to Blackberry, iPhone, even Windows Mobile.

I tried it on TP2 and was very disappointed! I couldn't believe Android is such garbage.

My friend has HTC Hero with stock Android ROM, he also complained slowness several times!!!

Some people like anything google. Some people want android and don't want to change their plan. Some people like showing off what their phone can do. Many answers why people want this.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: tp2

[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

FYI. there is more good news for all the tp2 folks out there.

I was able to port over the high res Sense UI from the desire. Some pics are available on XDA. I'm far behind from MrPippy's build, but ill work on catching up and hopefully release something usable in the near future.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2

cflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson2008 View Post

To each his own, it is a ton faster than WM to me.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Tags
android linux tp2 cdma, eclair, touch pro2