PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Threadstarter
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium 400
Carrier: Sprint

t0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to t0mmyr
Red face Tips for creating .XML files to provision special settings during customization

So I've never really understood what it was to provision my email accounts or owner information or how to properly make an xml file and let my rom's customizations utility do it automatically for me, so with the wise help of Psyki today, he helped me figure it out and I thought I would share how simple it is to backup a lot of info that isn't quite so easily backup-able just by pulling the registry keys and reimporting them later...

I'm running Juicy rom which features xda_uc so in order for me to provision my email accounts all i have to do is copy the file this tool generates into my xda_uc folder and hit customize after a future flash. But sdconfig supports xml files as well and so does pretty much everything else like sashimi.

So here's my simple little guide:

Step 1: Download the attached zip file and unzip to a folder on your windows PC

Step 2: Make sure your phone is connected to your PC and currently activesync'ed together

Step 3: Open the folder you just unzipped and choose another folder which you want to backup, lets use owner info for now as an example

Step 4: Double click RunConfig.bat and press any key in the dos box to finish

Step 5: Browse the folder which you just ran the .bat from, owner info in this example and find the new file RapiConfigOut.xml which was just created

Step 6: Rename RapiConfigOut.xml to something that describes what it is such as tommys-owner-info.xml

Step 7: Move the new file (tommys-owner-info.xml) onto your sd card into the right folder such as /storage card/xda_uc for example or wherever it belongs depending on what kind of customization the rom you will be flashing uses.

Step 8: Browse the other folders and do the same if you intend on backing up and restoring those easily later

Step 9: Flash away! and hit thanks if this helped you
Attached Files
File Type: zip xml-provision-maker.zip (183.4 KB, 188 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by t0mmyr; 12-06-2009 at 06:39 AM.
This post has been thanked 21 times.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Threadstarter
Threadstarter

t0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Tips for creating .XML files to provision special settings during customization

Additional notes and tips:

• In order to store your password for your email accounts you will have to edit the output'ed xml file and add the following line directly after <parm name="AUTHNAME" value="your@gmail.com"/>
    Code:
    <parm name="AUTHSECRET" value="YOURPASSWORDHERE" />
    right click on the file and click edit to open it with notepad

• ...You may have to edit the xml for htc account manager with your proper password for facebook, twitter, youtube if you want that stored the same way, just look in the xml for the password line for each

• ...In the zip I posted in the original post I included a folder called 001 default_editable RapiConfigIn. You can edit RapiConfigIn.xml within that folder to provision anything else you like off your device. An example what to change if you wanted to backup a lot of your Manila settings would be to insert this into that file:
    Code:
    <wap-provisioningdoc>
        <characteristic type="Registry">
            <characteristic-query type="HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila" recursive="true"/> 
        </characteristic>
    </wap-provisioningdoc>
  • ...It would help us all alot if you know where any other special locations are that we commonly forget to backup and post the wap-provisioningdoc code here so we can all benefit later so please add your tweaks to this thread too

PLEASE NOTE
  • If you get an error when provisioning the XML files it is because for some odd reason the created xml's adds a few odd characters to the beginning of the xml: "  ". You won't be able to view these characters nor edit this out with notepad so download XML Marker and use that tool to do the editing, just open the xml, remove "? and save and it will work perfect now.

Last edited by t0mmyr; 12-07-2009 at 04:56 AM.
This post has been thanked 9 times.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint TP

IsLNdbOi is keeping up the good workIsLNdbOi is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Tips for creating .XML files to provision special settings during customization

MightyROM uses some weird version of UC that's not as user friendly as past versions. Do you know how to get XML files working with UCC in MightyROM?
Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

jayweezie21 is keeping up the good workjayweezie21 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jayweezie21

all installed great. one quick question though. since juicy diabled the txtn from the tab in on the home screen i just removed that tab and put a quick link right above it for text. but now when i goto add quick link there is no txt. anyway i can add it in?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2

SmOoThEm is just getting started

This is gold! Thanks a bunch, i have been looking to do this for activesync forever.
If i could give two thanks i would :-p
Old 12-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Threadstarter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayweezie21 View Post
all installed great. one quick question though. since juicy diabled the txtn from the tab in on the home screen i just removed that tab and put a quick link right above it for text. but now when i goto add quick link there is no txt. anyway i can add it in?
im sorry i dont understand what you are asking here. i think youre referring to the juicy r6 mass customization i sent u this morning. if u are open up the 999 start menu organization.mscr on ur pc with notepad and remove the line that delets the htc_text message shortcut if there is one which i think there was....take a look at a few of the other lines above how i moved shortcuts around to different folders and if u want to make it clean i suggest moving the htc_text shortcut to ...\productivity
Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker

sorry i wasnt too clear. yes i was referring to the mass customization. im going to try that out.

i have to research some of these apps like sms nuke and qik...

so far bejeweled 2 was the only program that didnt want to boot up from the package.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker

well i tried to add back the htc_text message shortcut into productivity but that didnt work. just froze the phone after customizations. so i reinstalled all the original mass customizations and am living with it for the time being.

im retarded i know
Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

JAAS is becoming a great contributor

Very nice... had to look up all those values by hand.. This would have been gold a few months ago.. LOL

thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

JAAS is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
MightyROM uses some weird version of UC that's not as user friendly as past versions. Do you know how to get XML files working with UCC in MightyROM?
Create a file named SDConfig.txt and place it on the root of your storage card.. List your xml files on that file like this:

XML: \Storage Card\Folderwithyourxmls\filename.xml

- Note the space after the semi colon, directory should start on the 5fth character
- Don't add spaces to the end of the line. File should end after the last xml

BE SURE TO MAKE ALL YOUR SDCONFIG RELATED FILES (SDCONFIG, XMLs, CABs) READ ONLY OR THEY WILL GET DELETED

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2