PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Sprint Terminates Complainers

From MSNBC:

NEW YORK - Sprint Nextel Corp, which recently launched an advertising campaign to attract new customers, is disconnecting more than 1,000 subscribers for calling its customer service lines too often and making what the company called unreasonable requests.

The No. 3 U.S. wireless provider with 53 million customers said on Monday it started sending service termination letters on June 25. Sprint said the cancellations involved 1,000 to 1,200 customers who had called the company about 40,000 times a month in total.

Now how’s that for customer service?

“Companies like Sprint sometimes do have to take a hard line, and that may mean canceling certain customers,” said Chris Denove of JD Power and Associates, a customer satisfaction survey firm. “But what I would caution Sprint is to look at the problems that caused these customers to call over and over again,” Devone told CNBC.

Sprint insists that the problem is not with its customer service in response to CNBC’s inquiry. Instead, it says, getting rid of the high maintenance customers will help it improve service quality.

"These customers were calling to a degree that we felt was excessive," said Sprint spokeswoman Roni Singleton.

"In some cases they were calling customer care hundreds of times a month for a period of six to 12 months on the same issues even after we felt those issues had been resolved," she said.

Singleton, noting that mass cancellation letters were not routine, said this call volume was 40 to 50 times more than average customer monthly calls. She would not say how often customers can call before being deemed too demanding.

The company also declined to say what percentage of monthly service calls the 40,000 figure represented.

Singleton said some of the cancellations involved customers who repeatedly asked for information about other people's accounts.

Sprint waived final balances on canceled accounts and gave customers 30 days to transfer their phone numbers to other wireless providers, she said.

"We're working very hard to improve customer service. That's our number one priority," Singleton said.

The termination letters started going out days before Sprint kicked off a nationwide "Sprint Ahead" ad campaign on July 1. Sprint's customer growth has disappointed investors for several quarters after its marketing message was criticized as being confusing and it had network problems after its 2005 purchase of Nextel.

Providers AT&T Inc and Verizon Wireless, a venture of Verizon Communications Inc and Vodafone Group Plc, were quick to point out differences between their policies and Sprint's, saying they very rarely cancel services.

AT&T, the U.S. wireless service with the greatest number of subscribers, sometimes cancels or restricts services for customers for "excessive data or voice roaming on other carriers' networks," according to spokesman Mark Siegel, who said competitors had similar policies.

Tom Pica, a spokesman for Verizon Wireless which is second to AT&T by number of customers, said his company sometimes cancels services for callers who are "extremely abusive" to its customer service representatives. But, he said, this would be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Industry watchers are surprised that Sprint would risk bad press just to economize on service to 1,000 high maintenance customers, a minimal fragment of its 53 million customer base, especially when the company is struggling to catch up with its competitors.

Disgruntled customers got their balances wiped clean, and were given 30 days to take their number to another carrier with no penalty.

“I am sure for some customers; they got exactly what they wanted from this,” said Denove.

Sprint shares were down 32 cents at $21.55 on the New York Stock Exchange early Monday afternoon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19681390/

late,
Coz
Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Wow...40,000 calls a month? That's an average of 400 calls a month per customer... or just over 13 a day from each customer...I'd cancel them as well! I do realize that some of the numbers might be off and that Sprint probably did something to warrant some calls, but still...

A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul

ignar is a n00b
It sounds like a win-win game. Sprint gets rid of high maintenance customers and those customers who had such many complaints are let off without paying ETF and even final month balance. Also the rest of us can expect improved customer service (somehow, I don't buy this line though).
Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus 128gb
Carrier: AT&T

jtrag is keeping up the good workjtrag is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jtrag Send a message via MSN to jtrag Send a message via Yahoo to jtrag Send a message via Skype™ to jtrag
I talked to a Sprint rep that was higher up on the Sprint food chain LOL, and they said there was a lot more to this story than what people are just hearing. The rep told me not to worry, that they aren't going to cancel you for calling in to much if you have legitimate problems. The rep told me that the customers that got cancelled by Sprint had called in many times trying to get free stuff etc... that there was also much more to it. The rep told me there was a pattern to all the people that they cancelled. It wasn't just people calling in with every day problems. They were abusing the system. That's what the rep told me anyway.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

bubbatex is a n00b
Funny, a long time forum member at sprintusers.com got nuked and she says she only called in because her bill was always incorrect, etc. I would never say Sprint is perfect, but I always believe there is more to something when someone says they CONSTANTLY have problems or they go through 4-5 phones in 6 months because none of them "work" right.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: Verizon

xmind2006 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatex
... but I always believe there is more to something when someone says they CONSTANTLY have problems or they go through 4-5 phones in 6 months because none of them "work" right.
Right on. When I hear people complain about something not working right or the apache is a piece of crap because they had to replace the phone 4 times in 6 months I'm very skeptical it is anything other than the user. Same way with people complaining about customer service, in 6 years I have never called customer service for a matter other than a plan change or addition. But I believe a lot of people aren't on the internet nearly as much as myself....so finding answers for them might be more difficult.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Mustang46L is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Mustang46L
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatex
Funny, a long time forum member at sprintusers dot com got nuked and she says she only called in because her bill was always incorrect, etc. I would never say Sprint is perfect, but I always believe there is more to something when someone says they CONSTANTLY have problems or they go through 4-5 phones in 6 months because none of them "work" right.
Yeah I mean, get real. If you have that many problems with your Apache then get a new phone.. Or if your service is that bad, move to another carrier. Constant complaining isn't going to solve your problems.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Threadstarter

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46L
Constant complaining isn't going to solve your problems.
You've obviously never been married

late,
Coz
Old 07-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

mofotrucker is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to mofotrucker Send a message via Yahoo to mofotrucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie
Quote:

late,
Coz
u hit the nail on the head

Trying to get a job as Technical Consultant, Service and Repair at a Sprint store in El Paso, Tx Wish me luck
Old 07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: Verizon

xmind2006 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofotrucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie
Quote:

late,
Coz
u hit the nail on the head
I dunno, I think if you or your "other" is constantly complaining then it's time to move onto someone else as well.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives