PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Audi2Audi is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help setting up HTC TOUCH Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network) to replace WiFi uses

Good Morning,

I would like to setup a Bluetooth PAN between my Touch and my home PC. I have searched many different forums and have yet to come up with a workable solution specifically for the TOUCH (Vogue)

When I search BT devices on the TOUCH, it finds my host PC and creates a partnership. However, the only service offered is ActiveSync. When I search Bluetooth devices on the host PC it finds the TOUCH and can create a partnership. When I use Bluetooth Networking setup on the host PC to search for devices that support PAN, it does not locate the TOUCH.

I am tending to believe that PAN is not enabled in the HTC Bluetooth Stack. I am unclear as to how to enable PAN or how to install/enable another Bluetooth Stack such as Widcomm (Broadcom) to enable PAN. I am sure that installing one of the other Bluetooth Stacks and directing the Registry to use this Stack is what is required. However, I do not know where to begin!

Ultimately, what I would like to do is setup the BT PAN, enable Internet Connection Sharing on the host PC, thusly borrowing my host PCs internet connection when I at home, then I don't have to worry about the WiFi I am missing from formerly owning the PPC6700 (HTC APACHE).

I am aware that I can share the internet connection through ActiveSync but I would like to solve the PAN issue for other reasons...i.e. Use on PCs that do not have ActiveSync installed on them: friend's houses ect.

Any input is greatly apreciated,

Thank You, Audi2Audi!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:53 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Re: Help setting up HTC TOUCH Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network) to replace WiFi u

UPDATE:

After flashing a Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM to the device the host PC now recognizes the Touch as a PAN capable device.

I installed and ran WM6BTPAN.EXE on the device and am able to initiate a PAN connection from the host PC.

I have tried setting up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and/or bridging the connections in Vista but I can not get the Touch to realize that there is an internet connection available. The device always wants to connect to #777.

I thought having reached this point I was set - needing only to enable ICS.

Does anybody have any input as to where to go from here or how to tell the device that there is an internet connection available through Bluetooth?

Thanks, Audi2Audi.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

THunDA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTHunDA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTHunDA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Help setting up HTC TOUCH Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network) to replace WiFi u

If you go to Start>settings>connections>connections>Add a new modem connection.. look in the drop down menu where it says select a modem there is an option for selecting bluetooth..

Is that what your looking for ?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

I have come across that.

However, whenever I try to set this method up, WM6.1 opens up the Bluetooth config screen, searches for new devices, finds the host PC and lists the services, I select Ok and it starts over again - I am assuming it is not finding the Service it is looking for on the host PC.

Really, all I am trying to do is tell WM6.1 that there is an internet connection present through Bluetooth.

Thanks for the response!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:04 AM
rdwing

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

SAme here. if anybody figures it out please share.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

I came across this discussion which seems to be along the lines of what we need at this thread on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=335125

From the thread:

Try this reg edit for PANU mode instead of NAP.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\BTPAN1\Parms]
"BusNumber"=dword:0
"BusType"=dword:0
"AdapterType"="PANU"
"ServiceId"="{00001115-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}"
"FriendlyName"="Personal Ad-hoc Network"
"Description"="Bluetooth PANU service"
"ConnectionTimeout"=dword:7530
"AcceptConnections"=dword:1
"MaxConnections"=dword:10

I tried this but I still could not get it to work correctly, I had to undo these changes to even get the original PAN connection working again.

I have a feeling that upgrading the Bluetooth Stack on the Vogue to Widcomm will resolve this issue entirely. I have yet to come across instructions detailing how to do this that are specific to the Vogue.

If anyone knows how this maybe achieved please share!

Thanks again, Audi2Audi.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

natataka is a n00b

i too am having issues with dun for 6.1 i was able to do that using a cab for 6.0, but now it wont connect. anyone have the fix?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
N00b

fletch713 is a n00b

I didn't have much problem with Vista.
1) Make sure you're paired to laptop/desktop
2) make sure your vogue is connected to the net by running pocket ie
3) start ICS (internet sharing) on the vogue, slecting "Bluetooth PAN" as the connection
4) hit connect in ICS (there's a registry hack to allow direct connect without running pie first, so if you want to skip step #2, search for it on xda-developers)
5) use whatever bluetooth stack you have on your PC to Join Personal Area Network (you should see the vogue as a choice)
Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch713 View Post
I didn't have much problem with Vista.
1) Make sure you're paired to laptop/desktop
2) make sure your vogue is connected to the net by running pocket ie
3) start ICS (internet sharing) on the vogue, slecting "Bluetooth PAN" as the connection
4) hit connect in ICS (there's a registry hack to allow direct connect without running pie first, so if you want to skip step #2, search for it on xda-developers)
5) use whatever bluetooth stack you have on your PC to Join Personal Area Network (you should see the vogue as a choice)
fletch713, this would be to use the Touch as a modem for the host PC, this post is to discuss doing the opposite: use the host PCs internet connection on the Touch.

Thank You for attempting though, as stated before ANY input is apreciated!

- Audi2Audi
Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: SprintTel

hi-tech is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi2Audi View Post

Does anybody have any input as to where to go from here or how to tell the device that there is an internet connection available through Bluetooth?
Not sure if this is a fix for what your trying to accomplish with PAN, but when connected through activesync via bluetooth or usb, as long as the check box in 'connection settings' in activesync on the PC for "allow wireless setting on device when connected to desktop" It will use the desktops internet connection.

Just verified, from visting whatsmyipaddress.com with PIE and getting my cable modem's IP addy. Connected via bluetooth. WM6
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue