PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: srpint

lasteclispe is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Point of custom rom?

I know I'm probably going to sound like a huge noob but it is a serious question.

I have been using windows mobile phones for about 4 years mostly for entertainment use as I'm a student so do not need it for business. I have been reading about custom roms and such for the past 4 years and tonight I decided to finally give it a try.

Now my question is what exactly is the point of a custom rom? I upgraded to mighty rom 5 and sure it looks a bit better than my stock phone but I really dont see any amazing features. I seems like it's just a nice theme.

On a side note how do I change whats displayed on the today screen? out of all the things listed I only use like two of them? Would much prefer to have weather/s2u2 and some other programs there.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

pjtwist2002 knows their stuffpjtwist2002 knows their stuffpjtwist2002 knows their stuffpjtwist2002 knows their stuffpjtwist2002 knows their stuffpjtwist2002 knows their stuffpjtwist2002 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pjtwist2002
Re: Point of custom rom?

custom roms generally run better like help with lag issues and etc. they also come with cool features (today screen, increase battery, tabs, contacts) and programs but im a noob to just telling u what i know but other people with help you out on this better then i can!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 AM
ptfdmedic

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Custom roms from a good chef will almost always be better then a stock rom. Custom roms are aways the newest builds where as a stock rom will only be updated 1 or 2 times during the phones life.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro & Palm Pre

Machinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasteclispe View Post
I upgraded to mighty rom 5 and sure it looks a bit better than my stock phone but I really dont see any amazing features. I seems like it's just a nice theme
You didn't notice that Mighty Rom 5 is running WM 6.5? Custom roms are the only way to get WM 6.5 on this phone. Ultimately it may be the only way to get it.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

MiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to MiltonPro Send a message via MSN to MiltonPro

You picked a wm6.5 platform that is still in beta state. So you cant really channge the home menu screen without doing some moderate costumazations to the registry and help from added cabs that are available.

I suggest you read as much as you can on MR5 thread. No one can re-create all the information or answer all your questions on 1 post. But I would have suggested as your first ROM ever. Maybe MightyROM 4.16. Its by far the best ROM from Mike.. ANd its still wm6.1, which you are already very familiar with , I am sure...

By the way, the benefits to a Costum ROM are just incredible. With Mikes work and a bit from your part. You will be enjoying a completely different phone.

Last edited by MiltonPro; 05-04-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I started running custom ROM's on my phone since this last November. I can tell you that the difference for me are both subtle and in your face!!

The UI experience is quite obviously in your face, and for the MAJORITY of the chefs...esp the established ones...the UI customizations are just done right!

The subtle is really where custom ROM's shine...increased battery life, dramatic drop of the infamous HEAT issue, better GPS response times (certain ROM's and certain areas,) better response time, and abliity to run bleeding edge software/OS (ie WM6.5) Yes, you can get most of those subtle changes by installng cabs...but the custom ROM's are generally very nicely cooked in.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Mizono is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMizono is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMizono is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMizono is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Mizono Send a message via MSN to Mizono

As mentioned before. Custom ROMS clear out alot of the stock ROMs junk files. Which allows for a more stable piece of software. Not to mention faster. Mike tends to keep his ROMs "clean" where he doesnt add in alot of extra things. However his are among the fastest and most stable ROMs around. If you try other chefs ROMs youll see different programs added. Some are using the new TF3D2 in theirs. The changes are pretty much limitless. I would try a few others aside from Mikes and then you will really see the differances with custom ROMs
Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: srpint
Threadstarter

lasteclispe is just getting started

Ok so after a day of using my phone like this I can honestly say I don't see a difference. The speed seems the same, gps seems the same. All the multimedia apps I use seem to be the same.

The only difference I see is the interface. Custom rom aside what exactly is the point of windows mobile 6.5? all the apps seem the same.

But then again I had my stock phone pretty tricked out with custom interface and such. maybe thats why I dont see a difference?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

dodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasteclispe View Post
Ok so after a day of using my phone like this I can honestly say I don't see a difference. The speed seems the same, gps seems the same. All the multimedia apps I use seem to be the same.

The only difference I see is the interface. Custom rom aside what exactly is the point of windows mobile 6.5? all the apps seem the same.

But then again I had my stock phone pretty tricked out with custom interface and such. maybe thats why I dont see a difference?
well you went with mightyrom 5 which is a beta version and is pretty loaded down with tons of apps, i mean my rom runs a whole lot faster then sprints rom, and i mean i dont have as much apps as sprint, like sprint tv i dont use that so its not there i mean if you try mine, pyski or phantom roms which are more lighted with apps you can tell the speed but even in mighty you can totaly tell the difference in speed.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH

i like custom clean roms cuz then youll be able to put on only what you want, and definatly make it custom to your liking. imho.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro