PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you having trouble staying in 3G? Is your VZW TP2 getting stuck in 1X mode?
Yes, I'm getting stuck in 1X AND I used to have a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 16 7.27%
Yes, I'm getting stuck in 1X but I did NOT have a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 117 53.18%
No, no problems here AND I used to have a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 7 3.18%
No, no problems here and I never had a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 80 36.36%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

NotATreoFan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNotATreoFan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNotATreoFan is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to NotATreoFan
Re: Are you having trouble staying in 3G (getting stuck in 1X), VZW TP2 folks?

I'm still running on 3G here. I've had no further drops to 1x since the quick issues I mentioned earlier. The replacement phone I received was a full kit swap, still in retail box.

One observation: Since I am new to CDMA, I'm not sure if this is an indicator of Verizon's towers, or what. Unlike my AT&T Fuze, I almost never have full bars of 3G or 1x; usually 3/5. However, when riding the regional rail home at night, my signal indicator usually drops to 1 or none, but I can still make/receive calls and browse the web at full 3G speed.

Anyone else experience this?

TP2 CDMA ROMs: WM 6.5
TP GSM ROMs: WM 6.1 / WM6.5

Moderator at XDA-Developers

never required, but always appreciated.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

janko10 is keeping up the good workjanko10 is keeping up the good work

C'mon unlocker, I need to start swapping radios
Old 10-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotATreoFan View Post
I'm still running on 3G here. I've had no further drops to 1x since the quick issues I mentioned earlier. The replacement phone I received was a full kit swap, still in retail box.

One observation: Since I am new to CDMA, I'm not sure if this is an indicator of Verizon's towers, or what. Unlike my AT&T Fuze, I almost never have full bars of 3G or 1x; usually 3/5. However, when riding the regional rail home at night, my signal indicator usually drops to 1 or none, but I can still make/receive calls and browse the web at full 3G speed.

Anyone else experience this?
Yeah I will often see no bars and can make calls fine.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

thongaxp is keeping up the good workthongaxp is keeping up the good workthongaxp is keeping up the good work

Hello everyone.

I kinda found a fix that worked for me and I have been sticking on 3g since I applied it as I was stuck on 1x when I first booted up my phone, I am not sure if its a fluke but it sounds like a lot of you are having this issue so for you it may be worth a shot. I spoke to 3 level 1 techs and a level 2 tech, none of which were able to fix my problem, and they wanted me to return my baby! I said F-that and did what I do best and tinkered with the network adapters in the phone and got it all working just fine. This fix involves a reconfiguring your Broadcom DHD Network adapter in your phone, so please be careful and read all the steps listed below BEFORE changing anything!

To do this go to Settings->All Settings->Connections Tab->Wi-Fi->Wireless Networks->Network Adapters tab-> and then choose Broadcom 802.11 DHD Network Adapter.

The default setting is to use a Server assigned IP address and In a box you will notice your current IP address. ie, fe80::***:****:**** Choose to assign your own IP address and basically put anything in the fields. ie. ip = 192.168.0.1, subnet = 255.255.255.0 gateway = 192.168.0.1. Hit ok out of the fields. Now exit out to the main screen and then shutdown for 30 seconds.
Now, power up and go all the way back to the Broadcom 802.11 DHD Network Adapter again.

Settings->All Settings->Connections Tab->Wi-Fi->Wireless Networks->Network Adapters tab-> and then choose Broadcom 802.11 DHD Network Adapter.

Choose the first option: Use server-assigned IP address. The server will authenticate you and assign an IP for you. Had this problem the first day of owning the phone, did this and have had a 3g connection since then (3weeks soild with lots of travel). Sorry but I did not find this forum until 2 days ago else I would have posted sooner. ^^

Hope this helps.

Now I do have a simple question for you guys, its really the reason I started reading this thread in the first place. I am more of a network engineer than a cell phone guy and its prob a basic question and you guys may laugh. Whats the difference between 3g and EV being displayed on my screen? I applied a new taskbar cab on my phone and its been saying EV since then and I wasn't sure if it was the mod that is displaying that or if its something else. Thanks for not laughing too hard!

Welcome to the age of information where all info is readily and freely available. Gratitude is also free; so if I or anyone else has helped you on this board, don't forget to hit the “Thanks” button!
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thongaxp View Post
Hello everyone.

I kinda found a fix that worked for me and I have been sticking on 3g since I applied it as I was stuck on 1x when I first booted up my phone, I am not sure if its a fluke but it sounds like a lot of you are having this issue so for you it may be worth a shot. I spoke to 3 level 1 techs and a level 2 tech, none of which were able to fix my problem, and they wanted me to return my baby! I said F-that and did what I do best and tinkered with the network adapters in the phone and got it all working just fine. This fix involves a reconfiguring your Broadcom DHD Network adapter in your phone, so please be careful and read all the steps listed below BEFORE changing anything!

To do this go to Settings->All Settings->Connections Tab->Wi-Fi->Wireless Networks->Network Adapters tab-> and then choose Broadcom 802.11 DHD Network Adapter.

The default setting is to use a Server assigned IP address and In a box you will notice your current IP address. ie, fe80::***:****:**** Choose to assign your own IP address and basically put anything in the fields. ie. ip = 192.168.0.1, subnet = 255.255.255.0 gateway = 192.168.0.1. Hit ok out of the fields. Now exit out to the main screen and then shutdown for 30 seconds.
Now, power up and go all the way back to the Broadcom 802.11 DHD Network Adapter again.

Settings->All Settings->Connections Tab->Wi-Fi->Wireless Networks->Network Adapters tab-> and then choose Broadcom 802.11 DHD Network Adapter.

Choose the first option: Use server-assigned IP address. The server will authenticate you and assign an IP for you. Had this problem the first day of owning the phone, did this and have had a 3g connection since then (3weeks soild with lots of travel). Sorry but I did not find this forum until 2 days ago else I would have posted sooner. ^^

Hope this helps.

Now I do have a simple question for you guys, its really the reason I started reading this thread in the first place. I am more of a network engineer than a cell phone guy and its prob a basic question and you guys may laugh. Whats the difference between 3g and EV being displayed on my screen? I applied a new taskbar cab on my phone and its been saying EV since then and I wasn't sure if it was the mod that is displaying that or if its something else. Thanks for not laughing too hard!
Interesting. I'll also give that a try next time I get stuck.

As far as EV and 3G icons go, they are the same. 3G just means 3rd generation data connectivity. The one before that is 2G, which appears as 1X on the phone.

EVDO is the 3rd generation for data for CDMA networks (like Verizon and Sprint). So whether your phone says 3G or EV, it's the same thing. If it says 1X, then you're on the slower/older network connection (it will always say 1X when making a call/sending a text just fyi). Prior to this, all 3G Verizon phones had an EV icon. The reason the TP2 does not is because it is a world phone and can connect at '3G' speeds on GSM networks overseas. 'EV' wouldn't make sense there since it's not really a EVDO network.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thongaxp View Post
Hope this helps.
I've tried everything else to no avail, so it can't hurt to try this too.

I do wonder though if your customer task bar is falsely displaying the EV icon. Have you done any speed tests to confirm you're getting 3G speeds?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

thongaxp is keeping up the good workthongaxp is keeping up the good workthongaxp is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notime View Post
I've tried everything else to no avail, so it can't hurt to try this too.

I do wonder though if your customer task bar is falsely displaying the EV icon. Have you done any speed tests to confirm you're getting 3G speeds?
Yea I have been running some speed tests. My d/l speed is around 1.38Mbps now, when it was at 2Mbps just last week from the same site, mobilespeedtest.net, which isn't slow but isn't too quick either imo. Speedtest.net is showing around the same downloading speed. So, I am definitely not running 1x but am sure not getting the full potential of 3g. I noticed the EV showing up last night after installing Spike's__MicNeo_TaskBar_Varient_3_v2 cab which is a great taskbar replacement! But it may or may not be related. Either way, I'll work on figuring out my problem and don't want to hijack this thread
Old 10-12-2009, 12:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

Ambrowill is becoming a great contributor

Tried your hack. Day 1. Will report back in a week if 3G stays. I want to say thanks but I need the proof first.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Pro 2

rp4643 is just getting started

Well it happened to my New HTC VZ Imagio yesturday...stuck in 1x, Had to make the *228 option 2 to get it back, took 3 tries.. WTF
Old 10-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp4643 View Post
Well it happened to my New HTC VZ Imagio yesturday...stuck in 1x, Had to make the *228 option 2 to get it back, took 3 tries.. WTF

Wow.

I'd say we're definitely looking at a hardware issue then unless the Imagio uses the same radio firmware as the TP2. Maybe 8 knows from his dump although I don't think he could dump the radio without an unlocker. I guess we won't know until the unlocker comes.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2