PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Telus

bourdagespl is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC Pro 2 vs. Telus HSPA

Is the device will support the future telus HSPA network?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell Mobility

touchprogeek is a n00b
Re: HTC Pro 2 vs. Telus HSPA

according to the HTC website, no, the Telus TP2 will not support the new HSPA network..

http://www.htc.com/ca/product/touchp...ification.html

It's HSPA only at 2100MHz which is used for UMTS/HSPA in Europe, not the 850/1900MHz HSPA Telus & Bell are getting ready to launch.. Sorry!

But if Rogers comes out with the TP2 (or AT&T) then you could probably use it on the new network.... as long as Bell and Telus don't do anything to block phones from other carriers like they do now with CDMA.. Here's hoping!

Last edited by touchprogeek; 08-17-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: I put the wrong frequency for the HSPA network for Telus/Bell. It's fixed.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

northernpenguin is keeping up the good worknorthernpenguin is keeping up the good work

Ah yes, but there IS an 800/1900Mhz radio in the device (for CDMA and GSM) ... so perhaps this functionality could be introduced in a (future) firmware update?

Don't bank on it though, either they'll want to sell you a brand new Touch Pro 2(A) or they'll remind you the CDMA EVDO isn't being turned down anytime soon.

The device is SIM locked in North America, but there's a handy dandy control panel applet for unlocking that if you have the code.... something I'm sure will be hacked sooner than later.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 PM
N00b

touchprogeek is a n00b

AFAIK frequencies of radio signals that cell phone accept is not decided by software but by the hardware chips installed on the phone so I don't think its possible to change the software on the TP2 and change the 800/1900MHz EVDO Rev.A radio to an 850/1900MHz HSPA radio... Tho I'd LOVE to be proved wrong!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

junkiee is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchprogeek View Post
AFAIK frequencies of radio signals that cell phone accept is not decided by software but by the hardware chips installed on the phone so I don't think its possible to change the software on the TP2 and change the 800/1900MHz EVDO Rev.A radio to an 850/1900MHz HSPA radio... Tho I'd LOVE to be proved wrong!

yes while the frequncies are hardware based, it's the software that tells the phone which it can and cannot use, so if Telus has blocked the NA GSM bands and the hardware is there; then it will most likely be unlocked with future development...
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

leanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Apparently the Pro2 has the chip installed, but it's locked down some how. That info has been floating around from an inside source at Telus. they say it actually has 850/1900/2100 UTMS bands but just got "locked" by Telus.

Who know, it is a wait and see game right now....
Old 08-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

bourdagespl is a n00b

Telus customer support said me that the HTC P2 and the BB Tour will support it.. but I don't know if they know what they says...
Old 08-17-2009, 03:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

northernpenguin is keeping up the good worknorthernpenguin is keeping up the good work

Hey, anyone else remember when the Touch Vogue suddenly "grew" a GPS chip from a firmware update .....
Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

keery458 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernpenguin View Post
Hey, anyone else remember when the Touch Vogue suddenly "grew" a GPS chip from a firmware update .....
Thats right, i remember that. However, if they release a world phone, you can be sure that it will work with their networks. Why would they role out a world phone that wouldn't be compatible on their own networks
Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 PM
N00b

touchprogeek is a n00b

I totally forgot, a few months back on engadget there was a letter to the FCC trying to explain a CDMA and GSM radio chipset on the TP2 at the same time. They said "not to worry, we'll lock down the GSM radio." You can see it here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/20/h...rough-the-fcc/

But the article doesn't mention whether the frequencies are GSM only, or include UMTS/HSPA. I know the specs listed on the HTC.ca site say there is 2100 UMTS and all 4 regular GSM frequencies... but if 850/1900 HSPA/UMTS is in there as well.... WELL THEN THAT"S AWESOME!!
=D>

That would make the TP2 like the first almost completely universal worldwide 3G phone... (not completely of course but in all the places that count!)

Here's to the TP2!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2