PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell Mobility

touchprogeek is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC Pro 2 vs. Telus HSPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by keery458 View Post
Thats right, i remember that. However, if they release a world phone, you can be sure that it will work with their networks. Why would they role out a world phone that wouldn't be compatible on their own networks
Well again AFAIK the BB Tour doesn't work on the new network, so it's not a given that the TP2 would be automatically. The Tour only works on 2100 UMTS (Europe).

http://mobilesyrup.com/2009/08/16/te...-hspa-network/
Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Focus (unlocked)
Carrier: Telus

jessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jessiethe3rd

A simple unlock will do the trick. All GSM bands are in the phone along with HSPDA.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

bourdagespl is a n00b

Ok.. TY for all your answers. It is a point that make me think before to buy the TP2... So many rumors about new network and all the new phones it will bring...
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD, TP2
Carrier: AT&T, Sprint

manicottiK is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanne View Post
Apparently the Pro2 has the chip installed, but it's locked down some how. That info has been floating around from an inside source at Telus. they say it actually has 850/1900/2100 UTMS bands but just got "locked" by Telus.
The TP2 uses Qualcomm's MSM7600. The specs for that processor allow two major sets of radio interfaces, only one of which supports CDMA 800 and 1900. That major set has two variants that support HSPA: 2100+800 or 2100+1900+850.

The HTC page on the Telus version only lists HSPA 2100, so that doesn't help clarify what parts are actually inside the device. The PDADB.net page for the Sprint TP2 lists HSPA 2100+900, which isn't even a supported combination listed on the Qualcomm chipset pdf. The corresponding specs for Verizon doesn't list the 900 HSPA.

So, either the TP2 has a tri-band HSPA that supports North America (850+1900), Europe (2100) and Asia (also 2100) or a dual-band that support Europe (2100), Asia (also 2100), and rural parts of Japan for NTT DoCoMo (800, according to Wikipedia). Of course, very few of us know if the MSM7600 also requires other physical parts to take advantageof any of their bands and if it has those parts. Software alone might be able to reveal more features, but it may not.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:11 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell Mobility

touchprogeek is a n00b

Wow! Thanks for the info.. It's the kind of stuff I was hoping for.. Just making me more giddy to get this phone... If Bell ever releases it!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell

cruiser78 is becoming a great contributor

Taken from the Telus website off the TP2 specs page.

3G EVDO Rev A (800/1900 MHz), UMTS/HSPA (2100 MHz), GSM/ EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/h...79/index.shtml
Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Rogers

wraith79 is keeping up the good workwraith79 is keeping up the good work

Plus, when you think about it. Why would Telus release a brand spanking new (world) phone at the dawn of the new network, they would just have to offer the ppl completely new handsets, not very cost effective, is it? Anyways, I have a few insiders at Telus and they say that the TP2, HTC Snap, BBTour (all the newest released phones) WILL be compatible with the 4G network. So, for those of you who are still contemplating getting the TP2 or waiting, just go for it, the only thing I would wait for would be the price of the device to drop around the x-mas holidays, because, we DO know that'll happen!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

As I said in the other thread, it cannot work on a 4G network as that is a completely different technology.

You also seem to be under the impression that the current network being built is 4G, where it is in fact only a 3G HSPA network, with possible future upgrades to 3.5G HSDPA and in a few years we will see LTE (the actual 4G network).

Last edited by tobeychris; 08-26-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD, TP2
Carrier: AT&T, Sprint

manicottiK is a n00b

Tobeychris, while the specs claim UMTS only at 2100 MHz, do you think that there's any real hope that support for other bands could be added via software by the community?

We don't know which Qualcomm radio module is installed in the TP2. If it's the one with tri-band UMTS, does that help at all? (Certainly it hurts if there's no tri-band radio part.)

In modern mobile phones, does each frequency get its own antenna or does one do the job for multiple frequencies and technologies (CDMA/EVDO/GSM/UMTS)? Do manufacturers ever put in antennas that aren't requested by the mobile operators?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Rogers

wraith79 is keeping up the good workwraith79 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeychris View Post
As I said in the other thread, it cannot work on a 4G network as that is a completely different technology.

You also seem to be under the impression that the current network being built is 4G, where it is in fact only a 3G HSPA network, with possible future upgrades to 3.5G HSDPA and in a few years we will see LTE (the actual 4G network).
I do realize that the tech is different, but, 3.5G is already being utilized. The iPhone 3Gs is running on the 3.5G network! Rogers and Fido have had the 3.5G network in use for about 6 months now! As for the TP2, it has the capability to utilize the 4G network, I never said it was a 4G/LTE phone! Plus, I had some of my insiders at Telus tell me that. I even phoned HTC`s tech dept. and they confirmed it as well!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2