PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
VZW TP2: can I use cdma AND gsm on the same phone ?

Just wondering, could not find the answer...

I'm with Verizon, thinking I might move over to a GSM carrier, is it possable to use a Pre-paid sim card from a carrier to make calls and get a extended "test of their network".

I'd like to be albe to drop in a sim card and turn my phone into a GSM phone, then yank it to get back to CDMA (my main number).

1. Is this possable ?
2. Can I "disable" CDMA for a test like this ?
3. Or is it possable to run them both at the same time and just select the network to make calls off of ?

I really would like to beat on AT&T and T-moble to really test their coverage but, not get stuck in a contract where I would have 15 days to test. I don't want to find out 35 days from now it does not work in a place I need it to.

Thanks in advance !

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 02-18-2011, 01:13 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; HD7))

The good news is yes, it can be done, and it'll only cost the what the GSM carrier charges . I have to make a quick run, pm you when I get back.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: VZW TP2: can I use cdma AND gsm on the same phone ?

See, tempted to come over to the Dark side, I know there is plenty of room...hehe.

As long as I could get a extended network test with my touch pro 2, it would not be as hard to sign a 2 year contract.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:24 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

just so you know you wont get to properly test Data... your going to get EDGE speeds and thats it...
Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Just wondering, could not find the answer...

I'm with Verizon, thinking I might move over to a GSM carrier, is it possable to use a Pre-paid sim card from a carrier to make calls and get a extended "test of their network".

I'd like to be albe to drop in a sim card and turn my phone into a GSM phone, then yank it to get back to CDMA (my main number).

1. Is this possable ?
2. Can I "disable" CDMA for a test like this ?
3. Or is it possable to run them both at the same time and just select the network to make calls off of ?

I really would like to beat on AT&T and T-moble to really test their coverage but, not get stuck in a contract where I would have 15 days to test. I don't want to find out 35 days from now it does not work in a place I need it to.

Thanks in advance !
You can definitely do this if you SIM Unlock for US networks by purchasing and running the Unlocker. Like bored said you won't get 3g data but everything else will work.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:11 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
You can definitely do this if you SIM Unlock for US networks by purchasing and running the Unlocker. Like bored said you won't get 3g data but everything else will work.
Just a qumb question. My phone is unlocked, I've been flashing roms from when I got the phone. If I pull out the Sim card why do I need to unlock it ? Or Am I just unlocking support for US GSM carrier support ?

Will the SIM unlock effect CDMA from working ?

I guess I'm kind of lost here...
Old 02-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community

You are confusing HSPL Unlocking with SIM Unlocking which is common.
Just go here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/cdma-tp2-d...-unlocker.html

Read it thoroughly.
Good Luck!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

my bad for not getting back, call verizon...they'll give you the unlock code free of charge , pop in a sim card, and go!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

unlocking your sim device will not affect the CDMA side of your phone. like Dr.8820 said, call big red to get the sim unlock code. once you sim unlock and put your preferred pre-paid sim in....change your network to GSM and you're set!

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Suuuper Geeenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
my bad for not getting back, call verizon...they'll give you the unlock code free of charge , pop in a sim card, and go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
unlocking your sim device will not affect the CDMA side of your phone. like Dr.8820 said, call big red to get the sim unlock code. once you sim unlock and put your preferred pre-paid sim in....change your network to GSM and you're set!
Hmm...

I didn't know they would unlock the SIM slot for all networks for free. I thought they just unlocked it for non-US networks like that for free.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2