PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 02:46 AM
N00b

nsinsinsi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Mogul / WM6 owner - closing apps with hard button?

I just got switched over from a Treo 700P to a Mogul. I like some things about the phone but I have a few issues PPCGeeks might be able to help me with.

1- Is there any way to completely quit an application without having to use the stylus? I have X-close installed, which works fine if you actually tap on the X with your stylus, but doesn't work at all one-handed.

What I'm wishing for would be an app that will quit the active application when run, so it can be launched with one of the Mogul's many buttons, perhaps by a hold-press of the side button.

Is there any such thing out there?

2- Is it not possible to import custom ring tones and use them as general notifications? For example, my own custom ringer for new emails. This is a built-in ability on PalmOS and I'm surprised this doesn't seem to be supported.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:01 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP
I rarely use my stylus for anything. The X button can usually be reached if you lay your thumb down into the corner (lightly, of course). Hell, I use my left thumb for almost everything if I'm not typing. As far as a hard button app for it, I've looked, and have found nothing.

I put my custom ringers in My Documents\My Ringtones, and they show up in all of the notification lists.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:03 AM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: New Mogul / WM6 owner - closing apps with hard button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsinsinsi
I just got switched over from a Treo 700P to a Mogul. I like some things about the phone but I have a few issues PPCGeeks might be able to help me with.

1- Is there any way to completely quit an application without having to use the stylus? I have X-close installed, which works fine if you actually tap on the X with your stylus, but doesn't work at all one-handed.

What I'm wishing for would be an app that will quit the active application when run, so it can be launched with one of the Mogul's many buttons, perhaps by a hold-press of the side button.

2- Is it not possible to import custom ring tones and use them as general notifications? For example, my own custom ringer for new emails. This is a built-in ability on PalmOS and I'm surprised this doesn't seem to be supported.

Thanks for any help.
#1 Not perfect but check it out and see it it works for you Link

#2 change what ever you like to a .wav file and put it in your windows directory and it will show in notifications

Hope that helps
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:31 AM
hec
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

hec is becoming a great contributor
With AE Button Plus, you can assign up to four functions/applications to various buttons. In my case, I chose to map the "Close active application" function to a long press of the 'e' button in the top right, since it's near the X, making it easy to remember.

After a bit of tweaking to configure the buttons to my liking (e.g., toggling vibration mode & BT, copying & pasting, etc.), one-handed operation is much more feasible for me.

Anyway, I can't post a link, but others in this forum have commented on it as well, so feel free to search for it here. You can find it easily with Google or at PDA wares sites, such as Handango. Cost: $8 (although you can choose not to register, at the expense of missing some functionality)
Old 07-15-2007, 05:38 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

nsinsinsi is a n00b
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I got the ringtones working. I'm now going to explore some of these options for woring programs.

- Temis
Old 07-17-2007, 10:27 AM
N00b

msisaac is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsinsinsi

If you have X-close installed, doesn't the OK button close the app? I use Spb PocketPlus, but the functionality as far as the X is concerned should be the same. When I press the OK button on the front of my device, it essentially pushes that X in the corner of the active app, closing the app. The OK button works whether the app has an OK or an X in the corner.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro, Palm Pre

CTSLICK is a n00b
I use X-Button and pressing OK on the keyboard or on the side of the device does not close the app.
Sharp Wizard->Palm IIIx->Casio EM-500->Dell X5 Advanced->PPC 6800
Old 07-17-2007, 04:02 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

nsinsinsi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by msisaac
If you have X-close installed, doesn't the OK button close the app?
Nope, it doesn't. You'd tink it would, no? Me too
Old 07-17-2007, 05:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
You need an app that provides a way for the hardware button to be assigned to that program close button. A couple that do this are iLauncher and Pocket +. These apps are commercial but do more then just give you a close button. They both have free trials.

Also, you will need to assign the hardware button it will not be done automatically.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 07-17-2007, 07:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

bamrock is a n00b
Easiest way I've found (and it's free which is amazing) is using an application called SmartsKey. It was designed for the Tmobile MDA that I used to have but I became so addicted to it I had to put it here! This one has more buttons so it's not QUITE as necessary but on the old one it controlled overclocking and much more. The buttons are pretty configurable though and I didn't change much and left the left button hold to bring up the start menu...I know the Mogul has a button for that but the MDA didn't and this helped TREMENDOUSLY for one handed operation. The right button hold is to close the program (no minimize) and you can set up exceptions for example my IM+ does not close with the right button. It's REALLY small and runs in the background and you don't even notice it. Here's the forum development on xda developers if you want to download it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=256525

So in closing get Smartskey and edit the .ini file to do it. I have it up and running if you need any help or advice let me know and I'll help you get it up. **edit** I made a post about it just cause it was something to write about I have program links, directions, and my easy .ini file there if you want. http://www.neatish.com/2007/07/17/sm...-the-easy-way/
Dave[/url]

The best in tech and everything else!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan