PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

Sellador is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Stuck buttons

Mine was nearly 60 days old and they did the same thing for me as for Brodie... the certified like new replacement. I was pretty skeptical about it, but it's not like I had a choice and when it arrived it looked absolutely new. I figure if I can't tell a difference, then it really doesn't matter.

It came with nothing but the phone and the SIM card. I just moved the back, battery and microSD card over, then put the old one back in the box, attached the pre-paid FedEx label and dropped it in a FedEx box. It really couldn't have been easier. Probably the only downside is that I'm a bit paranoid about the button now and so am always concious of trying to be gentle when I press it.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible

Nicaragüense is keeping up the good workNicaragüense is keeping up the good work

i got a replacement imagio sent out, i called about it on Friday and it arrived saturday. I had a problem with the proximity sensor not always turning the screen off. My end key was also sunken in a bit. A crack on the bezel, at the top of the phone. Random soft resets( the rep said this was a known problem and a software update would fix that soon) New ine looks nice( refurb actually, but just like new. ) now i have one extra stylus.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

gilbenl is becoming a great contributor

I may still be in that period when the Kool-Aid tastes delicious, but aside from two random resets, I've had no problems with this phone. Then again, I'm coming from a POS LG Dare so I may just think anything is better. That being said, I think I may have figured out why the buttons are getting stuck: Dust. If you look at the buttons, you'll notice theres a fairly substantial gap around all the buttons. I checked out a storm and noticed no such gap. I think what may be happening is that significant amounts of dust and finger oil/gunk is combining and getting beneath the buttons to the point where they stick down. Has anyone tried to use some canned air to clean, or tried gently prying a stuck button up? If the air doesn't work, and you have some huevos, it may be worth while to turn off the phone, remove the battery, and putting a few DROPS of EtOH around the buttons. It will evaporate almost instantly, but will solvate any oil and dust globs that may be down there. Then again, my phone is less than 3 weeks old, so if my buttons stick...*611/back to store.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio and Incredible

untitled is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbenl View Post
Has anyone tried to use some canned air to clean, or tried gently prying a stuck button up? If the air doesn't work, and you have some huevos, it may be worth while to turn off the phone, remove the battery, and putting a few DROPS of EtOH around the buttons. It will evaporate almost instantly, but will solvate any oil and dust globs that may be down there. Then again, my phone is less than 3 weeks old, so if my buttons stick...*611/back to store.
My phone dates to late October and the buttons haven't gotten stuck yet (I'm being extremely careful), but if they do I will certainly try what you're suggesting.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible

Nicaragüense is keeping up the good workNicaragüense is keeping up the good work

I noticed that my end key is sunken in a bit even on the "like new" replacement. That really sucks, it feels fragile.. i'm always having to remember to be gentle with it. The proximity sensor works better so far and everything else is still stock. My brother got his imagio after i got mine, and his end key stopped working already. Thats sad on a such a high end device. At least of this problem persists we can get a different device, after a few tries though.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

gilbenl is becoming a great contributor

It may be worth while to include when you bought your phone, if you post something about stuck buttons. I'm curious as to whether this was a production run issue (IE: affects phones made b/w XX/09 and YY/09) or if these issues are distributed evenly since the time of it's release. As I said earlier, not only have I had no problems at all with the phone, let alone the buttons, but it would seem that this is a fairly limited issue. A quick google search for "HTC Imagio buttons stuck" resulted in only this thread coming up. While serendipitous, it may be the case that all of you having issues were unlucky enough to all get the phone from a bad batch.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Whitestone

liquidi3ladz is keeping up the good workliquidi3ladz is keeping up the good work

Was anyone with a replacement phone able to get another unlock code? (sim)
Old 12-24-2009, 11:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

johncal is becoming a great contributor

When I received my Imagio it had a huge gap between the screen and the buttons so I had it exchanged for another new one right away. The new replacement also had the gap so I gave up and kept it.

Unfortunately, three weeks later the end button on the replacement is now stuck down. The phone will work but the end key is really hard to press.

I called Verizon and they tried to replace it with a certified "like new" but I told them no way with a phone that was three weeks old. I didn't pay for a used phone. After an hour of complaining on the phone and talking to 3 different people they finally relented and I have a new replacement on the way.

Of course, Verizon said they have not heard of this issue which is hard to believe since all of you on the above posts have replaced your phones for the same problem. Aslo, i called HTC who said they have not heard of it either. I think I smell a rat.

It amazes me that a manufacturer can not make buttons that work reliably. I understand issues with cutting technology (yes I can even forgive my storm) but this is a simple click push button.

I would bail on this phone in a hot second except that other than the button and light leak issue, I really love the phone.

Come on HTC, get it right!

BTW, my new Imagio was a replacement for my Storm. I had 5 of those fail for various reasons in 8 months. Also, 2 of the "certified like new" phones didn't even work out of the box so I have no faith in the remanufactured ones at all.

Now since the end of last Febuaby I've had 5 Storms and 3 Imagio's. That's an aweful lot of running back and forth to Fed ex, Complaints and endless time on the phone with Verizon, billing screw ups on the replacements.

The funny thing is about three years ago I had the same issue with a Samgung i780 and some Palm Treo smart phones running Palm OS. The Palms would work for a month and then just plain stop working. Verizon never had an issue with those either, but for some mysterious reason they were pulled form the shelves after only 4 months. Hmmm.... Went through 5 of those as well until I got a Palm Treo running Windows. That phone was extrememly reliable. Nothing like the other ones. I still have that one sitting in the Drawer. Still looks new and is very reliable. Just doesn't have all of the features I like that this has. All of my DUMB phones were also great and never had problems.

Sorry for the rant. Just sick of crappy quality and then Verizon tries to act like there is no problem. I'm sure there are many more stuck buttons on these phones but people just don't mention it on forums like this as a rule.

Last edited by johncal; 12-24-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: RazrMaxx
Carrier: vzw

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I trialed an imagio and liked the reduced bulk as I'm coming from a tp2. I did not appreciate the inflated full price verizon model tho so I've returned that one and bought a gently used one coming soon for half as much. I'm a tad concerned about the button issue and noticed no one has mentioned much of a "do it yourself" fix. Someone mentioned the canned air. I'd love to know if this would work. Seems a simple dust removal solution.
I won't have any return option, and with a tp2 waiting on the sidelines I'd probably be more likely to try a do it yourself type repair. Now where's that unlocker and the file full of new ROMS?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

johncal is becoming a great contributor

Yeah, I highly doubt if canned air would work for this issue. Dust and dirt would keep it from pressing down.

I think the bubble that's used on the switch just breaks and that's it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio