PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: hero
Carrier: sprint

joshmon is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need to make warranty claim, but I'm rooted

I have a factory 2.2 that is rooted and need to make a warranty claim. Within the past day or so I have been prompted 'system upgrade 3.29.651.5' - FOTA update. If I apply this update will it un-root the phone and be warranty ready? Or possibly mess up the phone? Any help is appreciated, and thanks for all the great, hard work ya'll have done .
Old 10-15-2010, 02:20 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Need to make warranty claim, but I'm rooted

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmon View Post
I have a factory 2.2 that is rooted and need to make a warranty claim. Within the past day or so I have been prompted 'system upgrade 3.29.651.5' - FOTA update. If I apply this update will it un-root the phone and be warranty ready? Or possibly mess up the phone? Any help is appreciated, and thanks for all the great, hard work ya'll have done .
imo they wont know but i thought ota's unroot evo? this is old but this ota broke root.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/06...re-turned-off/
Old 10-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Carrier: Sprint

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

FYI - If you file a warranty because you're phone was accidentally run over by your car, they won't be able to check if it was rooted or not.

As long as you're filing the claim anyways, you'll have to pay the deductible. Make sure the phone is non-operational when they receive it.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

joshmon is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
FYI - If you file a warranty because you're phone was accidentally run over by your car, they won't be able to check if it was rooted or not.

As long as you're filing the claim anyways, you'll have to pay the deductible. Make sure the phone is non-operational when they receive it.
Incorrect, what you are referring to here is an insurance claim & this is unrelated to my situation. I don't have insurance & I am needing to file a warranty claim (which does not have a deductible, and won't cover physical damage). I am pretty sure Sprint regularly checks for phones to see if they are rooted just looking for an opportunity to reject a warranty claim (industry standard). For this reason I wanted to make sure I did this right the first time .
Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmon View Post
Incorrect, what you are referring to here is an insurance claim & this is unrelated to my situation. I don't have insurance & I am needing to file a warranty claim (which does not have a deductible, and won't cover physical damage). I am pretty sure Sprint regularly checks for phones to see if they are rooted just looking for an opportunity to reject a warranty claim (industry standard). For this reason I wanted to make sure I did this right the first time .
my evo wasnt rooted but sprint has never check any phone ive sent back and thats like 15 plus epic i first had was rooted and im on a second epic now they replaced no questions asked. this is sent directly to sprint for my case. all in all it is best to unroot for saftey of your a$$ though.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

joshmon is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
my evo wasnt rooted but sprint has never check any phone ive sent back and thats like 15 plus epic i first had was rooted and im on a second epic now they replaced no questions asked. this is sent directly to sprint for my case. all in all it is best to unroot for saftey of your a$$ though.
Well each time I have replaced phones with sprint recently they always make me go into a store, and then they give it to the tech guys. I have no idea what they look @ on the phone, but like I said I really wouldn't put it past them to have a policy to check for things like rooted/modified phones so they can get out of replacing it..
Old 10-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: Sprint

dakidobf is keeping up the good workdakidobf is keeping up the good work

I wouldn't put it pastthem either, but the screen died on my last rooted Evo so I couldn't unroot. I sent it back and they haven't contacted me about it. its been about 2 months now so I think I'm good. They probably just fix whatever is wrong, flash the latest ROM and throw the phone in the refurb pile.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP

the solution is quite simple guys. this exact situation happened to me. i was rooted and needed to take my phone on for repair.

1) make sure you have installed "unrevoked forever" and check to see that "S-off" is active (you can check this by going into bootloader. you will see "SUPERSONIC EVT2-2 ENG S-OFF" at the top).

2) flash stock. don't worry about losing root as long as unrevoked forever did it's job and "S-OFF" is active.

3) take to Sprint Repair Center.

if it's repaired, bring it home and flash RA via Sdcard. Then flash a custom stock from recovery as normal and that's it.

if they have to take the phone and give you a new one. no biggie either.

-MightyMike was here.... true story!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro

knewBee4lyfe is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to knewBee4lyfe

well... i made my claim already.

and i want to use nand backup to back up my phone.

the only way to do that is if i root my phone. but basically i think he's asking if there is a way to un-root the phone. now I want to know too bc the replacement phone should be here next week and i need to back up my phone.

I've looked at how to root the phone. and it seems like its a long process via the xda guide. but then there is the one click solution through unrEVOked forever. not sure if thats going to work... but like we both are asking.

can we un-root the evo4?
being a knew bee, im always learning stuff im forgetting, ADHD Sucks balls. i knew i should have listened to my mommy when she said drugs are bad... but i was never this bad at remembering stuff... anyways... learning, yea... ADHD makes me a person that writes long and useless stuff... anyways back to learning... i will be a new bee for life because by the time i understand something, im 2 updates behind. sorry.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

joshmon is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewBee4lyfe View Post
well... i made my claim already.

and i want to use nand backup to back up my phone.

the only way to do that is if i root my phone. but basically i think he's asking if there is a way to un-root the phone. now I want to know too bc the replacement phone should be here next week and i need to back up my phone.

I've looked at how to root the phone. and it seems like its a long process via the xda guide. but then there is the one click solution through unrEVOked forever. not sure if thats going to work... but like we both are asking.

can we un-root the evo4?
Partially, but what I really wanted to know was: 'system upgrade 3.29.651.5' - FOTA update. If I apply this update will it un-root the phone and be warranty ready?'

Last edited by joshmon; 10-15-2010 at 05:58 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G