PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269
Re: Need to make warranty claim, but I'm rooted

If i send my phone to HTC for repair.. I wonder if they'll have a issue with a rooted phone..
Old 10-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Sending it in for repair may be a different story, I'm not sure. But I have returned more than a few phones over the years through insurance that were rooted/hardspl unlocked and never had an issue.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

If you rooted using unrevoked3.21 you most likely left it default, which has set s-off checked in the file menu.

That means you can run an RUU on your phone, but s-off will still persist. You would need to run the s-on tool to get your phone back to stock.

Having the OTA run will have a similar result, you will have to run s-on tool to have your phone look stock, as well.

If you rooted using just unrevoked3 on your android 2.1 phone, without running unrevoked-forever, then you are good as stock, as you never messed with your s-on after flashing via RUU or taking the OTA.

As Mister Miyagi would say, "wax, s-on s-off.."

-CC

Last edited by clockcycle; 10-19-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269

well i didn't root via unrevoked, i just plugged into htc sync and ran the newest RUU. seemed to do the trick. now just have to wait for my 'b' spot to be fixed by htc and the phone sent back to me.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: sprint

stparker38 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmon View Post
Partially, but what I really wanted to know was: 'system upgrade 3.29.651.5' - FOTA update. If I apply this update will it un-root the phone and be warranty ready?'
No because I did the OTA and still had root. I believe the OTA before that one un-rooted the EVO because I remember seeing all the warnings about waiting... maybe that was when 2.2 was first introduced. Just curious: insurance vs. warranty... how long is the warranty through Sprint with no deductible? They may be getting strict with the EVO because of all the frivolous returns some people have made. I've seen them on this site posting about returning because of a little mark here or there... I still have the first one I ever got... some light leakage at bottom but still works perfectly! The best phone ever... and I've had plenty. But to answer your question, you will need to follow the step by step directions to unroot your phone. They are on this forum somewhere.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:55 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

They don't "check" for root. When they refurbish the unit they load default software on it anyways so its not going to matter.

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

tj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
They don't "check" for root. When they refurbish the unit they load default software on it anyways so its not going to matter.

CW
This right here...I dont know why people worry about sendin rooted phones in anyway...I never have issues
Old 05-14-2011, 03:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: hero
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

joshmon is a n00b

Well thanks for all the info yall, but when I took it in Sprint discovered it was previously rooted because they discovered 'S-Off' and rejected my claim and flagged my ESN. O well I'm not very happy with this damaged refurbished phone they gave me. If you are going to get a refurbished phone be sure to check it throughly first, as I didnt I just put my case on it immediately thinking it would be ok, but in fact in had physical damage direct from refurb department.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G