PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

tj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Need to make warranty claim, but I'm rooted

I be returnin my phones when they mess up & still be rooted...I haven't had a problem yet since my TouchPro 1 days
Old 10-15-2010, 09:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

I always keep the RUU. Running it unroots my phone but if I wanted to be squeaky clean, I would had to set S top "ON". That is something I do not know how to do.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

easilybigger is a n00b

I returned my rooted evo with no problem and had it replaced under warranty. I have also return a palm pre, pixi, and diamond and had no problems with warranty either. I guess some techs no whats going on with the phone and most just read off a screen what to test next. most things just end up with a hard reset that never fix the problem.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff

Here's my experience.

Woke up, and saw the glass lifted up to a point where I can put my nail in it.

Went to a sprint retail shop to get it fixed, and the tech replaced the LCD/panel.

Came home, noticed speaker phone works, but the actual ear speaker doesn't work.

Pissed since I wasted more than an hour to get it relaced, went to another corp store where I made the purchase, and asked for a replacement, or I'll just return the phone (Got the phone on 10/1).

My phone was fully rooted, and had fresh rom at the time, and they didn't have problem with it.

Came back home, ran the unrevoked, then flashed to fresh rom again via rom manager.

Myn's 2.2 RLS3
Netarchy-toastmod-4.21-bfs-bfq-havs-more-smartass-universal (More Aggressive Undervolting) //// Testing Ziggy471Kernel-EVO-update_signed-11052010-1609
Old 10-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

So since I rooted my phone using unrevoked 3.2.1, when the next ota comes (hopefully with the new sense) is it ok to allow the phone to update or will it mess up the phone. I dont really care if i lose root or not

Old 10-16-2010, 10:07 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
So since I rooted my phone using unrevoked 3.2.1, when the next ota comes (hopefully with the new sense) is it ok to allow the phone to update or will it mess up the phone. I dont really care if i lose root or not
From my experience, the OTA won't take. You will have to wait for someone to slip out the RUU (often leaks out first), install it and then you may or may not loose root. You will still be S-Off and restoring root should only be a few clicks away. Ofcourse, we can never predict what comes in the next upgrade. Maybe they will come out with a version that makes it brutally hard to root again. (a deeply dependent daemon that senses you have rooted and contacts Sprint and signs you up for HotSpot)

I have never had an OTA install on a rooted phone.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

So if I run the current RUU that would unroot my phone but I would still be S-Off? I never used unrevoked forever just unrevoked 3 which I didn't think changed it to s-off.

I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions, Im just an Android noob and use to WM that I've had since the apache.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Dorenda is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Dorenda Send a message via MSN to Dorenda Send a message via Yahoo to Dorenda

From my experience thus far with the Evo, I needed to update it after I rooted. So I ended up downloading the update to my sd card and updating that way. It took the root off. Just read this How to install new update (3.29.651.5) on your rooted HTC EVO 4G
Old 10-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Where can I get the official ruu for my evo?

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
Get 1 Free!
http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417
Old 10-17-2010, 09:21 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

There's a machine the techs can use to see any software mods that were ever done to the phone, that being said 99.9% of the techs won't bother testing it.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G