PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 11:46 AM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Dial *18 when your signal is bad.

it works albeit briefly, i jumped from 4 bars in an area that is steady 4 bars, to 5 bars for 15 minutes then back to 4 bars. And rural areas will pull faster downloads because there isnt alot of people using it in a concentrated area. You go to a densely poplulated area, odds are alot of people are using a specific network. Its just like having multiple users on WIFI, the more people using it, the slower it will be.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

oski is a n00b
Send a message via Skype™ to oski

thanks for the info will try when i get home...just tried in the office and no diff.....but will def give it a shot at the house.....thx

HTC EVO 4G...3.26.651.6 OMJ EVO 2.2 Froyo v3.0
Old 08-18-2010, 02:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

kkryter is a n00b

I tried this twice today, the first time the phone dialed and then the connection ended, I saw no resulting better signal. I just tried it a few minutes ago, and after a moment I heard a message saying something to the effect of 'Welcome to Verizon Wireless, please hold while you're transferred in order to pay for the service you've requested.'. Has anybody else experienced similar? I have little doubt that Verizon is the strongest CDMA signal in my area...Sprint sure the hell isn't, perhaps this command forced me to latch onto them?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

rooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkryter View Post
I tried this twice today, the first time the phone dialed and then the connection ended, I saw no resulting better signal. I just tried it a few minutes ago, and after a moment I heard a message saying something to the effect of 'Welcome to Verizon Wireless, please hold while you're transferred in order to pay for the service you've requested.'. Has anybody else experienced similar? I have little doubt that Verizon is the strongest CDMA signal in my area...Sprint sure the hell isn't, perhaps this command forced me to latch onto them?
I highly doubt you were magically connected to Verizon. Sounds kinda like you are using a custom PRL, it has that sort of effect.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

jtaylor13 is just getting started

*18 (SEND) reconnects your Sprint phone to the closest tower.A tech guy from Sprint told me about this 3 years ago. I think *228 works for Verizon.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: T7380
Carrier: Project Fi

marctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

yessir! this was mentioned on pdaphone.com 3 years ago...

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...t-18-18-a.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor13 View Post
*18 (SEND) reconnects your Sprint phone to the closest tower.A tech guy from Sprint told me about this 3 years ago. I think *228 works for Verizon.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium

eyepoker is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead428 View Post
Is it strange that the rural areas can pull faster speeds than densely populated metro areas?
not at all... the answer is in what you said... the denser the population the more users there are and the higher the load on the cell towers = less bandwidth for all.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Q9c (busted)

PhatboyNYC is just getting started

Does this only work for Sprint's android phones or all phones?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO 3G?

twilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stuff

This thread needs to be closed lol you people can not possible belive this works. Search for *18 and you will get the answers you where looking for. This is an old feature that is no longer working. Oh and those of you getting more bars, your phone polles for new towars all the time so if you just happen to face the right way you might get a stronger signal. No signal is really constand heck if my phone is facing the tv while laying in bed i get 1-2 bars or -81, -91 signal strength. If i Pull the phone to my ear and now its facing a wall I get -91, -102 signal strengh. Fools gold is just that.

By the way if you go through your owners manual it will let you know where the antenna is and you can do the math on how to hold it to get better signal or whatever. Or maybe just where a tin foil hat with a microphone plugged into the phone and splice into the hat.

Actually on a more serious not I heard you can put this antenna strength increasing sticker on your phone by the battery. There all over ebay there on like $2.99...

Oh god someone stop the stupidity!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Q9c (busted)

PhatboyNYC is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilk View Post
No signal is really constand heck if my phone is facing the tv while laying in bed i get 1-2 bars or -81, -91 signal strength. If i Pull the phone to my ear and now its facing a wall I get -91, -102 signal strengh. Fools gold is just that.
So in other words, by having the phone against your ear and facing a wall, it creates the optimal conditions to ensure maximum cellular reception. Gotcha!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G