PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

View Poll Results: did the OTA break your evo
yes 32 13.33%
no 208 86.67%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 01:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
All Discussions regarding the OTA update (Sprint re-released the update - 6/29)

Update: Sprint has removed the update because people were bricking their phones by installing it twice. When they re-release the update, only install it once. Installing it a second time will brick your device.

Update 2: Sprint has re-released the OTA update. Let us know if anything is different from the last one, besides it not bricking devices this time

If you haven't received a notification for the updated update or it's not showing up when you search for it under settings, you can manually download it (thanks, themuffinman).

Positives:

-WiFi has improved in strength and signal. People are confirming that they get much faster speeds and some, better range. Not sure if wireless N has been activated, but it's certainly better.

- Screen now responds correctly to input when placed on a table or another surface. Before you had to be holding the device to access the uppder portion of the screen. Woo!

- Exchange Active Sync improvements, including fix to issues with new account setup, PIN policy usage and Exchange Calendar 2010 Sync.

- Addresses Facebook sync issue which can improve battery performance.

- scrolling/screen responsiveness in certain places improved imo. It just snaps like it's supposed to. Although lag in those areas seems to have improved, we still have the serious lag issues overall.

- some report better battery life, but I'm wondering if this relates to the facebook issue above. I've never used FB sync and I'm not noticing anything with battery, not yet.

Negatives:

- Prevents old root methods

- If you update, you can no longer disable sense for the Android 2.1 launcher (settings > apps > manage apps > htc sense > clear defaults/force close/home). Third party launchers still work i think.

- Breaks the shootme app (need root to get it to work just like other devices now). My guess is they meant to close permissions from the start (it's now like the droid incredible)

- It removes Android wallpapers. You still have htc, gallery and live wallpapers options.

- After updating, some widgets may appear broken. Simply remove and re-add them and they will function properly again.

If I missed anything, let me know.

Last edited by lipidfats; 06-30-2010 at 01:05 AM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

rooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: tip: OTA Update breaks disabling of HTC Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidfats View Post
I know some of you guys like to use the android launcher over HTC Sense, so I thought i'd bring this to your attention. If you update, you can no longer disable sense, at least not the way we did before.
What if you download another launcher like Launcher Pro. Any way to set that as the default? If not I guess we will just have to wait on the custom ROMs. But I haven't updated yet anyway.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3
Re: tip: OTA Update breaks disabling of HTC Sense

Interesting. When I first booted up after the update I was given the option of which launcher to use. Man too bad I can't change my mind now.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

parousia15 is keeping up the good workparousia15 is keeping up the good work
Google Talk Keeps Reactivating After Update

Even though I unchecked everything in the options and signed out. It keeps popping up in services after 5 minutes or so after killing it.

This update was suppose to improve battery life, but google talk is draining mine.

Anyone else?

UPDATE: I've been watching it for the last few hours. My phone sleeps properly. When it's asleep, it appears that gtalk is also in sleep mode and my battery does not drain while in sleep mode. When I am actively using my phone,however, the battery drops more quickly with it running in the services than not. I'll see how things are over the next few days. It's beginning to look manageable.

Last edited by parousia15; 06-28-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

coppermine18 is just getting started
Sprint update needs up to 10 minutes plus to update - do not panic.

Be patient, mine rebooted 4 times and just sat on the update screen with no indicator twice after the 1st couple of times then rebooted itself and worked without me touching it.

Took at least 10 minutes.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro2

nico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Sprint update needs up to 10 minutes plus to update - do not panic.

I know, i thought my Evo got jacked up when i saw it do all this stuff, rebooting like 5 or 10 times. (specially when it took forever to pass the 4G logo on the first boot after the update)..lol
Old 06-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Also not to mention the 4G logo screen will stay there for a while. Plan to take up to 25 minutes people. Don't reboot unless you're told to or you go upwards of 25 minutes.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

coppermine18 is just getting started

Yeah, I thought mine was bricked it wouldn't do anything and just sat there, it rebooted once and did the update, then once with a second indicator bar... then twice doing nothing and just sat there unresponsive.

This is the first phone I haven't wanted to up and swap roms, reload stuff on etc its been perfect since day one I didn't want it to ruin it!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc EVO!!!
Carrier: sprint

Drac is becoming a great contributor
Re: Google Talk Keeps Reactivating After Update

flickr and stocks also restarted with me after killing everything. killed 'em all again and now will keep checking to see if they restart again.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

So I downloaded the update and my phone has just been sitting here for 6 minutes. Is it working, or do I need to kick it off?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
evo, ota, root, stock, uninstall