PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   All Discussions regarding the OTA update (Sprint re-released the update - 6/29) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=126977)

lipidfats 06-28-2010 01:43 PM

All Discussions regarding the OTA update (Sprint re-released the update - 6/29)

Update: Sprint has removed the update because people were bricking their phones by installing it twice. When they re-release the update, only install it once. Installing it a second time will brick your device.

Update 2: Sprint has re-released the OTA update. Let us know if anything is different from the last one, besides it not bricking devices this time ;)

If you haven't received a notification for the updated update or it's not showing up when you search for it under settings, you can manually download it (thanks, themuffinman).

Positives:

-WiFi has improved in strength and signal. People are confirming that they get much faster speeds and some, better range. Not sure if wireless N has been activated, but it's certainly better.

- Screen now responds correctly to input when placed on a table or another surface. Before you had to be holding the device to access the uppder portion of the screen. Woo!

- Exchange Active Sync improvements, including fix to issues with new account setup, PIN policy usage and Exchange Calendar 2010 Sync.

- Addresses Facebook sync issue which can improve battery performance.

- scrolling/screen responsiveness in certain places improved imo. It just snaps like it's supposed to. Although lag in those areas seems to have improved, we still have the serious lag issues overall.

- some report better battery life, but I'm wondering if this relates to the facebook issue above. I've never used FB sync and I'm not noticing anything with battery, not yet.

Negatives:

- Prevents old root methods

- If you update, you can no longer disable sense for the Android 2.1 launcher (settings > apps > manage apps > htc sense > clear defaults/force close/home). Third party launchers still work i think.

- Breaks the shootme app (need root to get it to work just like other devices now). My guess is they meant to close permissions from the start (it's now like the droid incredible)

- It removes Android wallpapers. You still have htc, gallery and live wallpapers options.

- After updating, some widgets may appear broken. Simply remove and re-add them and they will function properly again.

If I missed anything, let me know.

rooster94 06-28-2010 01:45 PM

Re: tip: OTA Update breaks disabling of HTC Sense

Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidfats (Post 1841873)
I know some of you guys like to use the android launcher over HTC Sense, so I thought i'd bring this to your attention. If you update, you can no longer disable sense, at least not the way we did before.

What if you download another launcher like Launcher Pro. Any way to set that as the default? If not I guess we will just have to wait on the custom ROMs. But I haven't updated yet anyway.

Donatom3 06-28-2010 01:50 PM

Re: tip: OTA Update breaks disabling of HTC Sense

Interesting. When I first booted up after the update I was given the option of which launcher to use. Man too bad I can't change my mind now.

parousia15 06-28-2010 02:03 PM

Google Talk Keeps Reactivating After Update

Even though I unchecked everything in the options and signed out. It keeps popping up in services after 5 minutes or so after killing it.

This update was suppose to improve battery life, but google talk is draining mine.

Anyone else?

UPDATE: I've been watching it for the last few hours. My phone sleeps properly. When it's asleep, it appears that gtalk is also in sleep mode and my battery does not drain while in sleep mode. When I am actively using my phone,however, the battery drops more quickly with it running in the services than not. I'll see how things are over the next few days. It's beginning to look manageable.

coppermine18 06-28-2010 02:30 PM

Sprint update needs up to 10 minutes plus to update - do not panic.

Be patient, mine rebooted 4 times and just sat on the update screen with no indicator twice after the 1st couple of times then rebooted itself and worked without me touching it.

Took at least 10 minutes.

nico4k 06-28-2010 02:33 PM

Re: Sprint update needs up to 10 minutes plus to update - do not panic.

I know, i thought my Evo got jacked up when i saw it do all this stuff, rebooting like 5 or 10 times. (specially when it took forever to pass the 4G logo on the first boot after the update)..lol

Donatom3 06-28-2010 02:35 PM

Also not to mention the 4G logo screen will stay there for a while. Plan to take up to 25 minutes people. Don't reboot unless you're told to or you go upwards of 25 minutes.

coppermine18 06-28-2010 02:37 PM

Yeah, I thought mine was bricked it wouldn't do anything and just sat there, it rebooted once and did the update, then once with a second indicator bar... then twice doing nothing and just sat there unresponsive.

This is the first phone I haven't wanted to up and swap roms, reload stuff on etc its been perfect since day one I didn't want it to ruin it!

Drac 06-28-2010 02:51 PM

Re: Google Talk Keeps Reactivating After Update

flickr and stocks also restarted with me after killing everything. killed 'em all again and now will keep checking to see if they restart again.

supdawg 06-28-2010 02:53 PM

So I downloaded the update and my phone has just been sitting here for 6 minutes. Is it working, or do I need to kick it off?