PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 PM
dLo
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dLo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO - Root|Recovery|Nand Backup|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Videos

so i think i got it now and i got rom manager to work but i kinda just fell into it more than anything. All i did was recovery using cmd and it worked and flashed a rom after clearing data and backing up nandroid... so then i downloaded rom manager from the market on this new rom and it worked fine and automatically rebooted the phone for me.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

wetbar is a n00b

When I download the file and look at it on my laptop it is 20,011K. I down loaded it from 2 website and both are the same size.

Last edited by wetbar; 06-11-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

wetbar is a n00b

one more wierd thing. when I try to download it from the evo a screen pops up and says " the content is not supported - the content is not supported on the phone. No application can be found to open this file. do you still want to download it?"

when I do download it, it says it is 168 MB

Edit - hey what about doing a master reset or something? Maybe I downloaded something that is conflicting with that file or something. just thinking out load!

Last edited by wetbar; 06-11-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

fenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Note for some of the unrevoked user or OTA: I had both, I removed unrevoked but could not get clockwork to do anything on recovery or run the .bat file on windows (it would flash and then dissapear running it as administrator).

Go to Run (or Win+R)
type cmd and press ENTER
type cd \evo-recovery and press ENTER
type recovery-windows and press ENTER

From this point, recovery should work. Note that you dont need admin access to make it happen but it is recommended (the method above does not use admin).

I did this on my Win7 x64 system with UAC enabled (so no, I'm not running admin by default)

ROM: DamageControl 3.1.2
Radio: Stock +upgrade (for now)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

wetbar is a n00b

when my phone boots up while holding the vol button, it is looking for a pc36diag file. that is when it says bad image. then it does find the pc36img file and says it is checking it. the bar on the right is moving to show status. Then it says loading pc36img, then the same screen pops up with the fastboot, recovery, hboot etc. but no flash screen.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

wetbar is a n00b

omg got it . went to a new pc downloaded to usb device. copy to sd card and worked fine. WTF?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbar View Post
omg got it . went to a new pc downloaded to usb device. copy to sd card and worked fine. WTF?
During this whole process did you ever reboot the original PC that you are/were having trouble on? Obviously something is setup/running on that machine that is fubar-ing the process.
So it sounds like you are up and running? Congrats.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

wetbar is a n00b

one more problem I rooted the phone and reboot loaded the rom manager went step by step. when I do #7 on the auto recovery method the phone reboots and shows teh triangle with the ! in the middle. the instructions say at this point I can reboot system or do the nad backup. I cant do anything it is locked up. I have to take the battery out. What did I do wrong?
Old 06-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
one more problem I rooted the phone and reboot loaded the rom manager went step by step. when I do #7 on the auto recovery method the phone reboots and shows teh triangle with the ! in the middle. the instructions say at this point I can reboot system or do the nad backup. I cant do anything it is locked up. I have to take the battery out. What did I do wrong?
Are you updated to the latest version of ROM Manager? Not that it's critical to be but I just did it, told it to reboot in recovery and it actually shut the phone down and restarted for me!
Are you plugged in to the a PC? Dont be.
After that Bro without being there it's hard to say what went wrong. The process works. If you followed the step-by-step you *should* be ok.
Some people, even Fast are seeing some weirdness with ROM Manager-it's working fine for me.
If you cant get it to go, then do the old manual method. The steps and video are still listed.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixjn View Post
Note for some of the unrevoked user or OTA: I had both, I removed unrevoked but could not get clockwork to do anything on recovery or run the .bat file on windows (it would flash and then dissapear running it as administrator).

Go to Run (or Win+R)
type cmd and press ENTER
type cd \evo-recovery and press ENTER
type recovery-windows and press ENTER

From this point, recovery should work. Note that you dont need admin access to make it happen but it is recommended (the method above does not use admin).

I did this on my Win7 x64 system with UAC enabled (so no, I'm not running admin by default)
Dude that hilarious, I just signed on to post this exact same thing, although I think you worded it better.
I talked to Meatgel on the phone and walked her through the process.
Had the same issue. I had her type in the .bat file and it worked. I'm going to take your explanation and tweak it a little to add to the tutorial.

Quote:
Actually, turns out, you're not doing anything wrong. I tried this countless times. I had meatgel try it, and you're reporting the exact same issue.

Here's what's happening...

Problem:
When you rooted your phone, you did not get a Superuser Permission Icon.
Why, I don't know. Once the PC36IMG.zip file ran and you rebooted, you should see the SU Icon in the apps. Your phone is rooted, so it should be there, but it's not. That missing icon causes the error.
Rom manager works fine when you are running it from a custom rom. That's why so many people are reporting success w/ Rom Manager. They already went through the process of rooting and flashing before. They have a rooted rom w/ the SU Icon. Since they just want to flash other roms or radios, they have no need to downgrade or go to stock. They use Rom Manager and it works.
You have the stock rom and I don't remember if you said or not, but I'm guessing that you did the OTA. Meatgel had the stock rom too. She did the OTA and when she rooted, her phone was rooted but she was missing the SU Icon. She downloaded Rom Manager and it failed to install a new rom.

Solution:
Install your 1st custom rom using the manual method. When you get to step #6, if you have trouble double clicking the .bat file, just go to a cmd prompt and type it in.

@winmonewbie - And yes, I'm going to make a video for this.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos