PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: not
Carrier: sPriNt

codyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to codyppc
Can I live with the Diamond or do I NEED the Touch Pro? Keyboard or no Keyboard?

i am stuck. i would love to keep the size of the diamond, but just dont know how well the onscreen keyboard has evolved. i use to have the vouge when it first came out and loved the size. i just started having trouble with the lack of keyboard. i type an avrage of say 100 words a day and just seemed to make to many mistakes without the physical keyboard. i got ride of it about the time TouchPal cam out for the first time.

a couple questions for those vouge/diamond lovers out there.

1. has the onscreen keyboard gotten better with either rom updates from htc or apps like Touchpal?

2. for those who remember the first TouchPal, did it get better or has anything else came out that makes typing easier?

3. can we expect to see anything different (new) with the diamond keyboard?

i dont think the 4 g max will be a problem for me so the only thing i see being a factor is the keyboard.

Thanks, for any help, Cody
PDA's I've owned/used in order... (retentions loves me)... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve)
Old 09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

archtech3d is just getting started
Re: Can I live with the Diamond or do I NEED the Touch Pro? Keyboard or no Keyboard?

The Diamond has many options for keyboards on it. You can pick which one you like best, and train yourself. They designed the pro to be very comfortable while typing based on reviews. I'd go with the pro if I were you... if you can stand the extra thickness of the phone.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Re: Can I live with the Diamond or do I NEED the Touch Pro? Keyboard or no Keyboard?

the pro just does not look as elegant as the diamond

i have no issue with the touch keyboard on the diamond keep auto correct on, but with the touch screen sensitivity tweaks i find my self making little to no mistakes using my fat finger. it seems to sense what key you're trying to press much better then previous touch screen keyboards.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

bionic1ball is keeping up the good workbionic1ball is keeping up the good workbionic1ball is keeping up the good work

its really up to you man buy the diamond on the 21st ( this is atleast 29-30 days before the pro comes) then go in the store and mess with the pro if you like the way it feels then exchange it if not then stay with the diamond
Old 09-11-2008, 03:04 PM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think you are in the same boat as me. I used to do very little typing on my pda phones -mostly for looking up names, numbers and just reading my e-mails but now with the higher speed internet I tend to use it for more things - even browse the web in opera. The Touch Pro is just too thick though and I never ever want to carry another brick around with me like the mogul and previous phones I owned.

The vogue is nice but the on screen keyboard is a tiny bit cramped for finger typing unless you view it sideways in which case not enough of the rest of the screen is visible. The HTC Touch HD is really the answer to my needs - too bad we probably won't see it for a while with any CDMA carrier. It gets more and more tempting to slip to the GSM side just to get current phone technology.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:07 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

codyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I think you are in the same boat as me. I used to do very little typing on my pda phones -mostly for looking up names, numbers and just reading my e-mails but now with the higher speed internet I tend to use it for more things - even browse the web in opera. The Touch Pro is just too thick though and I never ever want to carry another brick around with me like the mogul and previous phones I owned.

The vogue is nice but the on screen keyboard is a tiny bit cramped for finger typing unless you view it sideways in which case not enough of the rest of the screen is visible. The HTC Touch HD is really the answer to my needs - too bad we probably won't see it for a while with any CDMA carrier. It gets more and more tempting to slip to the GSM side just to get current phone technology.
the touch hd may have more pixels, but will still be about the same size. i dont want a iphone size device just to get 26 keys big enough for my fingers.

i carry my device in my pocket to much to be lugging around a brick.

i would like to see a screen shot of the keypad in landscape mode.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
boe
Almost a VIP

The touch HD has nearly twice the screen real estate as the diamond. 2.8" diag vs. 4" diag screen. If you've typed on an iphone you'll know what I mean about it being much easier to type on if you don't have dainty fingers.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:14 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
.... It gets more and more tempting to slip to the GSM side just to get current phone technology.
Amen. I spent some time in China a couple of years ago, and one of my biggest surprises was the huge number of phones you could buy in the average large department store, then walk down the street and buy a SIM card from the carrier of your choice. Europe and Asia are so far ahead of the US in variety and options....
Old 09-11-2008, 04:14 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
The touch HD has nearly twice the screen real estate as the diamond. 2.8" diag vs. 4" diag screen. If you've typed on an iphone you'll know what I mean about it being much easier to type on if you don't have dainty fingers.
hmmm. i didn't know it was going to be that big. actually that is too big for my liking. i am measuring my curve right now and it's only 4.25 (diag) inches overall. that would make the touch hd somewhere around 5+ inches diag

i'm not saying i'm not going to consider the hd when it comes to sprint. the point of this thread right now is the devices at hand. the hd is quite a ways out. we'll get that then, but must get new device now. which one which one? hmmmm

i think i might get the diamond around the 1st on oct. that way i can watch the reviews of the pro and make sure it is worth the swap.

thanks everyone.

Cody

Ps: anyone got a screen shot of the diamonds full qwerty onscreen keyboard in landscape?
Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM
boe
Almost a VIP

Cody, I agree you definitely should find a phone that you like since you'll use it more than just about any other gadget you own. I never try to talk anyone into one phone over another, so I don't want to discourage you from getting a Diamond or a Touch Pro - some people prefer iphone, some prefer BB, palm etc. They should definitely go with what they want and works for them. If you want to know for sure if the HD is just too big for your needs, just borrow someone's iphone - it is nearly identical in physical size even though the iphone has less than half the resolution of the HTC Touch HD. If the iPhone is too wide or tall for you then you won't want a Touch HD.

I don't think there is a perfect phone - even on the Touch HD - I'd really like a flash since I use them as a flashlight but other than that the Touch HD is the closest thing I've seen to a perfect WM phone in a long time.

The touch HD is about 1 cm bigger in height and width than the diamond but about 15-20% thinner than the US version of the Diamond while still having a 1350mah battery.

You can purchase a number of additional keyboards but here is a video of one of the default ones - http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=QBO-1D7N4b8&feature=user

Last edited by boe; 09-11-2008 at 04:36 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond