PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
got a question

How hard would it be to make an emulator that would allow one to have windows mobile running , then launch an app that would allow one to then run android programs .
Old 03-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: got a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
How hard would it be to make an emulator that would allow one to have windows mobile running , then launch an app that would allow one to then run android programs .
Nearly impossible, and not worth the effort. Much better to run native code, and just forget WinMo .
Old 03-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Rhodium

MassStash is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMassStash is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMassStash is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

werd....
Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Threadstarter

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Nearly impossible, and not worth the effort. Much better to run native code, and just forget WinMo .
i would do that if the native code worked flawlessy and smoothly and quickly as does my windows mobile

yes that statement is true . i love my custom ROM and everything about it .

But i have a second question,

How hard would it be to forget winmo completely and have android run from the phone itself and not from the SD card . in my mind, wouldnt that make it MUCH faster ?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
i would do that if the native code worked flawlessy and smoothly and quickly as does my windows mobile

yes that statement is true . i love my custom ROM and everything about it .

But i have a second question,

How hard would it be to forget winmo completely and have android run from the phone itself and not from the SD card . in my mind, wouldnt that make it MUCH faster ?
How would it make it MUCH faster?

SD cards are pretty quick, so where are we getting this amazing speed gain from...?

Android works pretty smoothly, but it does have its problems - obviously - we're not nearly done with the project!

If you want to flash, there's ways to do it - but it's even more buggy and less functional than haret versions that boot off of the SD card - hence the reason there's only 2 threads on the topic. Need more time to iron out bugs before this is ready for prime time!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
How would it make it MUCH faster?

SD cards are pretty quick, so where are we getting this amazing speed gain from...?
Well in my mind , its like having windows 7 on an external HDD , connected to a usb port will run slower then having it connected internally to a sata port .

Quote:
Android works pretty smoothly, but it does have its problems - obviously - we're not nearly done with the project!

If you want to flash, there's ways to do it - but it's even more buggy and less functional than haret versions that boot off of the SD card - hence the reason there's only 2 threads on the topic. Need more time to iron out bugs before this is ready for prime time!
LOL i know this . not trying to start an argument . just wasnt sure if this would be possible . plus once it it in its final stage , will it be like picking up a evo or epic and having it run smoothly ? im not saying your taking to long lol .. im just wondering if its POSSIBLE .
Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well in my mind , its like having windows 7 on an external HDD , connected to a usb port will run slower then having it connected internally to a sata port .
Well that's not the difference here. The SD card isn't like a USB connection - it's just as fast as the NAND, if not faster (depending on the card) in fact... So you won't get any speed boost whatsoever from NAND. Sorry, apples & oranges is what you're comparing.

Quote:
LOL i know this . not trying to start an argument . just wasnt sure if this would be possible . plus once it it in its final stage , will it be like picking up a evo or epic and having it run smoothly ? im not saying your taking to long lol .. im just wondering if its POSSIBLE .
Of course it won't be like picking up an Evo or an Epic - look at the hardware specs! Just because the Android port is complete doesn't mean it's going to run like those phones...

If you're going to compare to native Android hardware, at least be fair - compare it to the G1, or the Hero. Look at processor, RAM and screen res specs - when we're "done", it should run comparable to those devices. Evo and Epic are not really fair comparisons, as their hardware is soooo much newer/faster/better!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Boominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Boominsvx

It's more likely that android will be finished one day than it is for ppcgeeks to put a moron button right next to the thanks button. Personally, I'm in love with both ideas. Juzt bee payshunt and reed, n u can haz ur androy'd.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Well that's not the difference here. The SD card isn't like a USB connection - it's just as fast as the NAND, if not faster (depending on the card) in fact... So you won't get any speed boost whatsoever from NAND. Sorry, apples & oranges is what you're comparing.
Oh . well i apologize for being ignorant . i was just thinking quickly in my head not really doing any research . Sorry :/
Quote:
Of course it won't be like picking up an Evo or an Epic - look at the hardware specs! Just because the Android port is complete doesn't mean it's going to run like those phones...

If you're going to compare to native Android hardware, at least be fair - compare it to the G1, or the Hero. Look at processor, RAM and screen res specs - when we're "done", it should run comparable to those devices. Evo and Epic are not really fair comparisons, as their hardware is soooo much newer/faster/better!
Fair enough . again i wasnt really trying to argue or say your wrong . i was just trying to expand my knowledge .

Quote:
It's more likely that android will be finished one day than it is for ppcgeeks to put a moron button right next to the thanks button. Personally, I'm in love with both ideas. Juzt bee payshunt and reed, n u can haz ur androy'd.
Only reason im starting to like android is cause of all the apps and devolopment people are doing for it . feels as if winMo is a dying bread i really do love my TP2 with WinMo on it :/
Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Only reason im starting to like android is cause of all the apps and devolopment people are doing for it . feels as if winMo is a dying bread i really do love my TP2 with WinMo on it :/
LOL @ dying bread. I think you mean "breed".

Anyhoo, no one is forcing you to use Android. Stick to WinMo by all means, if that's what you love!

Most people hate WinMo, hence the reason this Android port has gotten so far - if everyone loved WinMo, this port probably never would've happened. I don't see anyone trying to port WinMo onto their Android phones!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2