PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: ATT

htcuser12 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question GSM network on rhodium 400

Hi all,
I have Sprint TP2, but I am now traveling overseas and want to use the phone in GSM mode (with Android of course). I am unable to get any signal on the phone. I tried two different network sim cards and they work perfectly well in WM.

I have set hw.force_cdma=0 in the startup.txt

Does any one know what the problem might be? or this phone cannot work in GSM mode in android?

At this time I am more concerned with basic cellphone functions rather than data, although data would also be nice.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: GSM network on rhodium 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcuser12 View Post
Hi all,
I have Sprint TP2, but I am now traveling overseas and want to use the phone in GSM mode (with Android of course). I am unable to get any signal on the phone. I tried two different network sim cards and they work perfectly well in WM.

I have set hw.force_cdma=0 in the startup.txt

Does any one know what the problem might be? or this phone cannot work in GSM mode in android?

At this time I am more concerned with basic cellphone functions rather than data, although data would also be nice.

Thanks
Please post your entire startup.txt. I thought the command was just "force_cdma=X" as well...

Never tried to use GSM on the phone, so I'm not exactly sure what else you need to do other than change force_cdma to 0.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Sensation 4G

tacotoy is becoming a great contributor

you are using a tmobile or att sim and already unlocked your phone for sim use in winmo im assuming??
Old 12-28-2010, 03:50 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
you are using a tmobile or att sim and already unlocked your phone for sim use in winmo im assuming??
First, he said he is overseas, which means he doesn't have to be SIM unlocked. Second, he says the SIM cards work fine in WinMo, so they should work fine in CDMA as well.

The problem here is that the Android project has not reached the point where you can switch between CDMA and GSM. I have never tested using a GSM SIM card in my CDMA device, but I do know how rootfs checks and initializes the phone based on whether it is CDMA or GSM.

I would try removing the force_cdma option out of the startup line entirely and see if that works for you. I just don't know if anyone has gotten that to work yet or not.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
First, he said he is overseas, which means he doesn't have to be SIM unlocked. Second, he says the SIM cards work fine in WinMo, so they should work fine in CDMA as well.

The problem here is that the Android project has not reached the point where you can switch between CDMA and GSM. I have never tested using a GSM SIM card in my CDMA device, but I do know how rootfs checks and initializes the phone based on whether it is CDMA or GSM.

I would try removing the force_cdma option out of the startup line entirely and see if that works for you. I just don't know if anyone has gotten that to work yet or not.
You are incorrect sure. The sprint and verizon TP2 will not allow a foreign sim to be used without unlocking the sim slot. Verizon is easier to unlock since verizon provides the code free. The sprint phones require a new radio.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:00 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
but I do know how rootfs checks and initializes the phone based on whether it is CDMA or GSM.

Yes the Rootfs gets checked for Network Version, we can watch this if you pay attention to the streaming code while booting up.. your very right... BUT out devices already say theyre GSM while this check gets performed, hence why we need the force_cdma command line right?? so maybe thatll work for him... he shouldnt hold his breath though lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
You are incorrect sure. The sprint and verizon TP2 will not allow a foreign sim to be used without unlocking the sim slot. Verizon is easier to unlock since verizon provides the code free. The sprint phones require a new radio.
thats for domestic use only isnt it??? SPrint requires no SIM unlock at all if your actually going over seas(minus maybe the call to SPrint that enables the TP2 for international use[free])... you can leave in SPrints SIM and pay their rates or buy a pre-paid SIM and itll work no problem... if you wanna use the SIM Unlock here in the US for GSM networks thats when you need the new Radio..
Old 12-29-2010, 04:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
SPrint requires no SIM unlock at all if your actually going over seas(minus maybe the call to SPrint that enables the TP2 for international use[free])... you can leave in SPrints SIM and pay their rates or buy a pre-paid SIM and itll work no problem... if you wanna use the SIM Unlock here in the US for GSM networks thats when you need the new Radio..
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's true that you don't need a sim unlock to use the Sprint TP2 overseas.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Sensation 4G

tacotoy is becoming a great contributor

you can only use the sprint sim in the phone overseas without unlocking.... unlocking allows you to both swap sims.... and loading the modded radio allows you to use domestic gsm networks in the us
Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
you can only use the sprint sim in the phone overseas without unlocking.... unlocking allows you to both swap sims.... and loading the modded radio allows you to use domestic gsm networks in the us
CDMA Touch Pro2 Show Down: Sprint v. Verizon Wireless
"Sprint’s model comes with its SIM card unlocked for international use. I tried an AT&T and T-Mobile SIM card in the device and it did not register for domestic use. Sprint’s model will force you to use Sprint as the primary network in the USA, which is fine."
Old 12-30-2010, 03:36 AM
Lurker

fukxou is a n00b

I have unlocked my sprint tp2 for gsm use in US. I am able to boot up to android fine using the gsm singal. However after a couple of hours I have noticed that the gsm singal would drop off.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2