PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   GSM network on rhodium 400 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=138831)

htcuser12 12-25-2010 09:24 PM

GSM network on rhodium 400

Hi all,
I have Sprint TP2, but I am now traveling overseas and want to use the phone in GSM mode (with Android of course). I am unable to get any signal on the phone. I tried two different network sim cards and they work perfectly well in WM.

I have set hw.force_cdma=0 in the startup.txt

Does any one know what the problem might be? or this phone cannot work in GSM mode in android?

At this time I am more concerned with basic cellphone functions rather than data, although data would also be nice.

Thanks

arrrghhh 12-27-2010 11:28 AM

Re: GSM network on rhodium 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by htcuser12 (Post 2019895)
Hi all,
I have Sprint TP2, but I am now traveling overseas and want to use the phone in GSM mode (with Android of course). I am unable to get any signal on the phone. I tried two different network sim cards and they work perfectly well in WM.

I have set hw.force_cdma=0 in the startup.txt

Does any one know what the problem might be? or this phone cannot work in GSM mode in android?

At this time I am more concerned with basic cellphone functions rather than data, although data would also be nice.

Thanks

Please post your entire startup.txt. I thought the command was just "force_cdma=X" as well...

Never tried to use GSM on the phone, so I'm not exactly sure what else you need to do other than change force_cdma to 0.

tacotoy 12-28-2010 12:49 AM

you are using a tmobile or att sim and already unlocked your phone for sim use in winmo im assuming??

natemcnutty 12-28-2010 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacotoy (Post 2025272)
you are using a tmobile or att sim and already unlocked your phone for sim use in winmo im assuming??

First, he said he is overseas, which means he doesn't have to be SIM unlocked. Second, he says the SIM cards work fine in WinMo, so they should work fine in CDMA as well.

The problem here is that the Android project has not reached the point where you can switch between CDMA and GSM. I have never tested using a GSM SIM card in my CDMA device, but I do know how rootfs checks and initializes the phone based on whether it is CDMA or GSM.

I would try removing the force_cdma option out of the startup line entirely and see if that works for you. I just don't know if anyone has gotten that to work yet or not.

drewcam888 12-28-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natemcnutty (Post 2025319)
First, he said he is overseas, which means he doesn't have to be SIM unlocked. Second, he says the SIM cards work fine in WinMo, so they should work fine in CDMA as well.

The problem here is that the Android project has not reached the point where you can switch between CDMA and GSM. I have never tested using a GSM SIM card in my CDMA device, but I do know how rootfs checks and initializes the phone based on whether it is CDMA or GSM.

I would try removing the force_cdma option out of the startup line entirely and see if that works for you. I just don't know if anyone has gotten that to work yet or not.

You are incorrect sure. The sprint and verizon TP2 will not allow a foreign sim to be used without unlocking the sim slot. Verizon is easier to unlock since verizon provides the code free. The sprint phones require a new radio.

boredandtattooed 12-28-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natemcnutty (Post 2025319)
but I do know how rootfs checks and initializes the phone based on whether it is CDMA or GSM.

Yes the Rootfs gets checked for Network Version, we can watch this if you pay attention to the streaming code while booting up.. your very right... BUT out devices already say theyre GSM while this check gets performed, hence why we need the force_cdma command line right?? so maybe thatll work for him... he shouldnt hold his breath though lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 2025374)
You are incorrect sure. The sprint and verizon TP2 will not allow a foreign sim to be used without unlocking the sim slot. Verizon is easier to unlock since verizon provides the code free. The sprint phones require a new radio.

thats for domestic use only isnt it??? SPrint requires no SIM unlock at all if your actually going over seas(minus maybe the call to SPrint that enables the TP2 for international use[free])... you can leave in SPrints SIM and pay their rates or buy a pre-paid SIM and itll work no problem... if you wanna use the SIM Unlock here in the US for GSM networks thats when you need the new Radio..

manekineko 12-29-2010 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 2025413)
SPrint requires no SIM unlock at all if your actually going over seas(minus maybe the call to SPrint that enables the TP2 for international use[free])... you can leave in SPrints SIM and pay their rates or buy a pre-paid SIM and itll work no problem... if you wanna use the SIM Unlock here in the US for GSM networks thats when you need the new Radio..

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's true that you don't need a sim unlock to use the Sprint TP2 overseas.

tacotoy 12-29-2010 07:28 PM

you can only use the sprint sim in the phone overseas without unlocking.... unlocking allows you to both swap sims.... and loading the modded radio allows you to use domestic gsm networks in the us

manekineko 12-29-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacotoy (Post 2026401)
you can only use the sprint sim in the phone overseas without unlocking.... unlocking allows you to both swap sims.... and loading the modded radio allows you to use domestic gsm networks in the us

CDMA Touch Pro2 Show Down: Sprint v. Verizon Wireless
"Sprint’s model comes with its SIM card unlocked for international use. I tried an AT&T and T-Mobile SIM card in the device and it did not register for domestic use. Sprint’s model will force you to use Sprint as the primary network in the USA, which is fine."

fukxou 12-30-2010 03:36 AM

I have unlocked my sprint tp2 for gsm use in US. I am able to boot up to android fine using the gsm singal. However after a couple of hours I have noticed that the gsm singal would drop off.