PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

qwho is keeping up the good workqwho is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CoPilot Live 8 on sale for $19.99 Thanksgiving weekend

I saw it on cNet, it's 19.99 for windows mobile, iPhone and android as well.

http://www.alk.com/copilot/

Deal ends monday at midnight.

Think I'm going to pick this up, my tomtom '07 maps and poi's are getting old fast.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!
Carrier: Sprint

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: CoPilot Live 8 on sale for $19.99 Thanksgiving weekend

Nice find. I am considering this. The only thing is to get traffic you have to pay an additiona 19.99 for a year. But I thinks that still cheaper than sprint navigation. Let me know it works out and if you like it or not.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: AT&T

krohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Looks like quite a good deal - worth $20 to see if it works well. If anyone wants to wait on it I'll DL it tonight and try to post up a quick impression v. Tomtom and Garmin tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw View Post
Looks like quite a good deal - worth $20 to see if it works well. If anyone wants to wait on it I'll DL it tonight and try to post up a quick impression v. Tomtom and Garmin tomorrow.

That would be great. I am just wondering how it works, it says 4 gb for 'continental' maps and smaller sizes for regional maps. It doesn't really explain it well. Can I put say, the US on my storage area for like, 2 gb? Tomtom's maps of US and Canada are 2gb, which is a benefit because the diamond only has 4 gb to work with.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evil Evo
Carrier: Sprint

i360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I believe they mean you can get the entire US map, which will be huge. Or keep it local by just getting the areas your in. For instance some software I can download just the Florida map and use that since I spend most of my time in the state. If I plan to travel I can update the map to the place I'm going or the entire US.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:45 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

This is a super deal & I will be buying it also, but be warned of a couple things:

I bought CP7 a few PPC's back & for one their tech support is absolutely awful.

Normally, I could care less about that but in the case of this software sometimes you have to deal with CS & here's why. After you install it, you have to activate it over the internet & then after that every time you start it up it checks that again.

If you leave your system dead stock & never customize it (like we all do on this site) you will probably be fine. If you do a lot of flashing etc, this is the last software in the world you want to own (go with GarminXT instead). Every single time I made even a minor change to my system, the nert time I started CP it would tell me the reg code was invalid. If you try to re-activate it at that point, it refuses saying it is in use on another system (this must have happened to me 30 times, I'm not sure it ever worked once when I really needed it to)

At that point, all you can do is contact their awful CS & deal with them. They can get really snotty too, one time they told me "this is the last time we are re-activating your software, if this happens again you are out of luck"

~John
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker

krohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Ok - here's the deal so far....

The NA map weights in at about 1.47 Gb (USA and Canada maps + pois). The US map is 1.01 GB.

The software itself seems quite easy to use and relatively smooth. The interface definitely beats Garmin's and I would recommend subscribing to the $20 / yr premium service for the live search (powered by google as it is with Garmin). If I were to use this as a primary GPS I'd most certainly pay for the traffic and search (traffic around Chicago can really alter my expected travel times).

Updating the map is quite easy - my only complaint is missing streets. The street my house is on is not listed nor any of the surrounding developments. These are all 5-8 year old streets and have been listed with Tomtom and Garmin for quite some time. Supposedly if you email them re your streets that are missing with a valid mailing address their map service will update them within 45 days. I downloaded the IL only map just in case it wasn't in the USA map but they are all missing there as well. I sent them an email but at this point I am legitimately curious what else is missing map wise.

With respect to the UI it's definitely better than Garmin and right there with Tomtom - however due to the lack of completeness of the maps I don't think I'd want to rely on it over either of the aforementioned applications.

Seeing jmorton's above post about the activation I can't see this being useful at all as I will flash my rom at least 1 more time before I get rid of this phone.......
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw View Post
- my only complaint is missing streets. The street my house is on is not listed nor any of the surrounding developments. These are all 5-8 year old streets and have been listed with Tomtom and Garmin for quite some time. .....
Yea, nothing's changed from CP7 I see.

This was the one thing I hoped was vastly improved but it's not.

There is a quite large residential neighborhood near where I work that has been there probably 10 years (a co-worker of mine has lived there for 8 years) & not only is the whole neighborhood missing, it shows the streets leading to it as dead ends (which they're not). One of these streets has already been repaved at least twice & has been in Garmin & Google maps for years.

~John
Old 11-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
Yea, nothing's changed from CP7 I see.

This was the one thing I hoped was vastly improved but it's not.

There is a quite large residential neighborhood near where I work that has been there probably 10 years (a co-worker of mine has lived there for 8 years) & not only is the whole neighborhood missing, it shows the streets leading to it as dead ends (which they're not). One of these streets has already been repaved at least twice & has been in Garmin & Google maps for years.

~John
Ouch - I will not be hopeful they will be added then and my assumption it's not an isolated thing is likely correct. Too bad I can't put CP8 on Garmin's maps
Old 11-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

wow, I might have to rethink this. I flash my phone like twice a week.

If I have to talk to their customer support every time I do then this will be a deal breaker.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software