PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO, Blackberry Style
Carrier: Sprint

MrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Winterface by Vito

I have been a fan of Vito since I discovered FunContact and SMS-Chat. I was never a big fan of GoodWin, but I was pretty excited to see this new UI. I do have a couple of complaints after using for a very minimal amount of time so far. It looks great, but totally lacks some basic choices for the user. In fact, there are NO settings for the actual program for you to customize the way that the program actually runs. This has great potential, and I will continue to use it for now to see what else I can learn about it, but here are my initial complaints:

You can have what seems to be as many pages of applications/contacts/settings as you want, which look to have room for 16 icons on each page. LOOKS to have....for what seems like no reason at all, you cannot have anything in the bottom right hand corner of ANY page. WTF? Why must there be a hole on the bottom of the screen?

Second, it has its own S2U. It looks good and all, but I like using A_C's because I like having different custom pictures on my screen when I wake up my device. You can't turn off Winterface's S2U. Lame. So now, if I want to use A_C's S2U2, I have to slide it, then, have to slide Winterface's too! DUMB.

Third, there is no plugin or anything for weather. I have a Sprint Touch which has a today screen plugin for HTC's weather. The only way to get to it is to minimize or close Winterface and click on the original today screen plugin. The only other option (since I had this same issue with iFonz) is to get a 3rd party weather app and choose it as one of the icons. I don't wanna do that!

And Lastly (for now, hahaha), upon first installing, there are some pre-chosen shortcuts on the front page including battery, ringer profile, a task manager called 'Running,' and a few others. While initially messing around, trying to set up how I want it, I removed the battery meter icon assuming I could just pop back into the settings tab to put it back on the page. WRONG. I had to completely deinstall the program, soft reset and reinstall. Well that worked, but it erased all of the other changes that I made, so essentially, I had to start all over for one little icon (a very important one!) It's the only one that I found that you couldn't replace once you have removed it.

Has anybody else experienced these problems...or better yet...found a way to correct 'em?

edit: I should state that I am using v1.01 as of these complaints, I will try 1.02 to see if any of these were corrected, but somehow I doubt it as it is WAY too quick after the initial release.

Last edited by MrChainsaw; 07-27-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

lightbiter is becoming a great contributor

your right about the battery icon that is pretty messed up but as to your setup once you get it the way you want it if you back up the program folder once you reinstall winterface you can copy it over and start the program it will be back the way you like it
Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker

MrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbiter View Post
your right about the battery icon that is pretty messed up but as to your setup once you get it the way you want it if you back up the program folder once you reinstall winterface you can copy it over and start the program it will be back the way you like it
Yes, but then wouldn't that overwrite the fact that the battery is now on the screen, since when you initially back it up, it wasn't there?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker

like i said do the back up after you get it the way you want before you start experimenting
Old 07-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch + Touch Pro + Touch Diamond

rgildoss is halfway to VIP status based on reprgildoss is halfway to VIP status based on reprgildoss is halfway to VIP status based on reprgildoss is halfway to VIP status based on reprgildoss is halfway to VIP status based on reprgildoss is halfway to VIP status based on reprgildoss is halfway to VIP status based on reprgildoss is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to rgildoss Send a message via MSN to rgildoss

does this have landscape support , didnt find it anywere on their site....
im using a 6700
Old 07-28-2008, 03:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

TheAccuser is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgildoss View Post
does this have landscape support , didnt find it anywere on their site....
im using a 6700
It does have landscape support. When I slide out my keyboard on my Mogul, it rotates to landscape.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

TheAccuser is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashik View Post
not a bad "rip" this winterface.....I think that only thing that bugged me is that whenever i made that move "across" the screen it would launch, even if I did not wanted it.....other than that...nice interface, very usable.....manual?? don't really need one. Pretty self explanatory.
This is my biggest complaint so far about the shell. I can hardly use the Opera 9.5 beta...moving the web page around contantly opens Winterface....SUPER annoying. I would like to see the option to have a custom gesture launch the app. I would personally like to have the gesture be a zig-zag or maybe even a circle....how many times do you draw that on your screen? How many times do you swipe side to side?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAccuser View Post
This is my biggest complaint so far about the shell. I can hardly use the Opera 9.5 beta...moving the web page around contantly opens Winterface....SUPER annoying. I would like to see the option to have a custom gesture launch the app. I would personally like to have the gesture be a zig-zag or maybe even a circle....how many times do you draw that on your screen? How many times do you swipe side to side?

I agree. I tried to play solitaire today. Seemed like every other move opened
Winterface. Lame. There needs to be a more unique gesture or the option to turn it off.

I also notice a couple of other things today. When you miss a call, it will appear as a little notification on the phone icon, but when you press it, it still just takes you to the dialer screen. You would think that it would take you to the missed call log....wrong. Another pretty obnoxious thing is that when you are on a long call and your screen shuts off, you must wake the phone, slide to unlock it, and THEN end the call - you can't just hit the hardware end key a couple times. NO LIKEY. Also (a minor one) the battery icon that i mentioned in my last rant works fine as a snapshot of how much battery power you have left, but when you press the icon.....nothing......you'd expect it to take you to the power settings so you could see the actual % and all, but it just plain doesn't do anything.

I also installed this on a Treo 800w today. I looks pretty sweet, there are 3 rows of five icons - which means NO HOLE in the bottom right hand of the screen!!!! But that's about all it has going for it....ahahahah. The phone icon doesn't take you to the dialer screen, it takes you to the treo default home screen. The sms icon doesn't work at all (unless you have SMS-Chat installed, which doesn't work on the 800w) and there is no way to put a calendar icon on it for some reason. Just these alone were unacceptable and I did no further tests on it. We'll have to see if in future releases that this might become compatible. Until then, its pretty worthless on the 800.

I'll keep checking it out...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAccuser View Post
or maybe even a circle....how many times do you draw that on your screen?
everytime you zoom in or out on a pic in htc album
Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbiter View Post
everytime you zoom in or out on a pic in htc album
This is true. I use S2V, so i don't use circles at all i don't think, but anyone using the stock album viewer would get annoyed pretty quick! The main thing that they need to do is, if they are going to keep a gesture to open the program - simple or unique - they need to have the option to disable it and just click on their icon.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software