PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: ppc6600,ppc6700,xv6800,xv6900
Carrier: vzw

00CericaRuss is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android working on Titan

eh.. still haven't been able to mount the zImage.
Well.. i should say i was able to mount it, but i was unable to read anything from the mount point... *shrug*
Old 07-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

l33tlinuxh4x0r is keeping up the good workl33tlinuxh4x0r is keeping up the good workl33tlinuxh4x0r is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00CericaRuss View Post
eh.. still haven't been able to mount the zImage.
Well.. i should say i was able to mount it, but i was unable to read anything from the mount point... *shrug*
The zimage is the actual kernel. AFAIK you cannot mount and edit it you need to recompile it. the initrd can be decompressed and edited though.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

unvivid is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to unvivid

makes sense, I assumed it was the other way around
Old 07-22-2008, 12:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Blackberry Tour
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

ryanbg is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvivid View Post
Hmm, even after formatting my stock 512 trans flash at home I'm still getting an invalid partition error... Interesting. How is everyone else formatting there cards? I've used both windows gui and windows cli with sectors set to 512.
I formatted with Explorer, so it shouldn't be too complicated to get it working. I am not really sure what's going on with this thing being so picky about which SD cards you use. I wonder if it has to do with allocation size?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:41 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33tlinuxh4x0r View Post
The zimage is the actual kernel. AFAIK you cannot mount and edit it you need to recompile it. the initrd can be decompressed and edited though.
This is exactly correct.

You need to grab the Android kernel source....... I can tell you right now though, its highly unstable and getting a working kernel isn't an easy task. I'd leave it alone for now but if you know how to git the source, its git.android.com and the git repository is kernel.git

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 07-22-2008, 03:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Blackberry Tour
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

ryanbg is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
This is exactly correct.

You need to grab the Android kernel source....... I can tell you right now though, its highly unstable and getting a working kernel isn't an easy task. I'd leave it alone for now but if you know how to git the source, its git.android.com and the git repository is kernel.git
http://git.android.com/?p=linux-msm.git for the MSM chipset source
Old 07-22-2008, 01:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

unvivid is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to unvivid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbg View Post
I formatted with Explorer, so it shouldn't be too complicated to get it working. I am not really sure what's going on with this thing being so picky about which SD cards you use. I wonder if it has to do with allocation size?
I see alot of other people are having issues too. I wonder if it's SD Driver related. I've tried every allocation size available. I've tried straight up FAT too. No difference. I've formatted through the phone using no2chem's Storage manager as well. Nothing seems to work. I'll have to see if I can pick up another SD card. If my linux box would just recognize my card reader I'd gpart it. Maybe have to play around a little more when I get home. If the wifey will let me.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbg View Post
http://git.android.com/?p=linux-msm.git for the MSM chipset source
linux-msm.git is deprecated... better to get used to using kernel.git now rather than later.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Lurker

wasupwithuman is a n00b
Lightbulb Re: Linux/Android working on Titan

Ok... a few tips...
1. When booting haret, try to have atleast 20 megs of ram free... I dont know if it's nessessary... but it does help.
2. I normally do a soft reset right before i boot Android... Again.. helps clearing up the ram...
3. Try putting all the files in the same place... \storage Card (do not make a haret or android folder)
4. I haven't tried booting it on wm 6... but the stock sprint 6.1 rom that just came out... boots it up nicely... It takes my mogul about 23 seconds...
5. join the htc-linux chatroom on freenode... if you need some help...everyone there is really good at helping people out...
6. Take some time if you go in the chat room to thank DZO... this guy made it possible. I'd say donate some money via paypal... but i havent been able to find if he accepts donations.. (but maybe if we get enough people to donate he can buy a mogul and help us out...) just a thought...

As for the certain type memory sticks... I think it's just your guy's phone being picky... Cause it should run on any >2gb ... Try going and buying a brand new one... put all the files on the root of the directory and run it... Don't reformat it... just get the brand new one, extract the files from android.zip and run it from /storage card... Also... like i put in the above tips... do a soft reset before to free up some ram haret still needs some ram to boot... Try disabling alot of your start up programs... Also do the soft reset with the card in.. sometimes wm won't see the card if u put it in after it boots... try all that... It should work..

As of right now though.. if u cant get it to work... ur not missing too much.. there a few people trying to get the keyboard to work... until that happens... not much use... but dam it looks cool.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

maxdamage2122 is a n00b

all i have to say is wow. this has come a long way since the last time i was messing with android. couldn't even get it to boot before. wish i knew more so i could help out but keep up the good work guys i appreciate it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development