PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2011, 01:02 PM
djgallis's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: samsung epic
Carrier: sprint
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 171
Reputation: 205
djgallis is keeping up the good workdjgallis is keeping up the good workdjgallis is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ONE CLICK & ODIN .... ANSWERS

PPC [@darren.wsln1 & @gTen ..

why do certain phones have ONE CLICK ROOT & others dnt ? is it that hard to create for all or is it that certain are built for ONE CLICK .. or am i just missing out completely on the process ... and do all SAMSUNG phones have an easy ability to get ONE CLICK more than others phones like HTC OR MOTOROLA etc etc

what about ODIN do any other phone carry the ability to flash back to stock as easy as ODIN is or what ever other name of software there is ..

if i can get an answer as a NOOB so that i can explain to others y n y not wud be great ...

again appreciate to opportunity being on PPCGEEKS and the help i have gotten from you guys, i was tryn to ROOT shift evo 2.3.3 and i was upset it didnt have a simple ONE CLICK so it brought me to my question as WHY NOT


THANK YOU IF YOU GUYS CAN EXPLAIN OR CAN NOT
__________________
DEVICE: EpIc ROCKING
ROM: MArcusant RED ROM REVIVAL BANG
HIT THANX PLZ
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 PM
gTen's Avatar
"The Fuzzy One"
Offline
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Internet
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,855
Reputation: 9080
gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: ONE CLICK & ODIN .... ANSWERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallis View Post
PPC [@darren.wsln1 & @gTen ..

why do certain phones have ONE CLICK ROOT & others dnt ? is it that hard to create for all or is it that certain are built for ONE CLICK .. or am i just missing out completely on the process ... and do all SAMSUNG phones have an easy ability to get ONE CLICK more than others phones like HTC OR MOTOROLA etc etc

what about ODIN do any other phone carry the ability to flash back to stock as easy as ODIN is or what ever other name of software there is ..

if i can get an answer as a NOOB so that i can explain to others y n y not wud be great ...

again appreciate to opportunity being on PPCGEEKS and the help i have gotten from you guys, i was tryn to ROOT shift evo 2.3.3 and i was upset it didnt have a simple ONE CLICK so it brought me to my question as WHY NOT


THANK YOU IF YOU GUYS CAN EXPLAIN OR CAN NOT
When using 1 click root methods, those usually work by exploiting android..most android devices 2.2 and below use the same method to root..ragecage which is effectively the Droid Dream virus...so all android devices root exact same method, the only exception to these simple 1 clicks is HTC and Motorola. Those require their own rooting methods.

Now 2.3 also fixes the droiddream exploit..the problem you have with evo shift is evo shift and other newer HTC phones have a locked and signed bootloader + recovery image..that means every time there is an official update..to make use of it you need to do unsign the bootloader and etc..this is a lot of work..cause if its still signed..the moment you find an exploit and root your phone, then reset your phone your exploit will be erased due to the signed recovery image.

Samsung devices are not locked+signed..hence what we have is the "odin" method..aka we take a modified kernel/recovery and flash it via odin thus achieving easy root..all samsung phones are 100% rootable using this method, you don't even need an exploit.


The principle behind 1 clicks roots requires that there be "minimum" or "no" room for error..all 1 click root is, is a batch job performing multiple tasks..now imagine if in the middle something goes wrong? the 1 click has to be programmed to account for that. Some processes are too complex even for just a "1 click"..

And yes, other brands have similar tools such as nvidia has NVFlash, HTC has their RUU and etc..but from my experience Odin is the easiest one to use as far as having control.
__________________
Earn some spare cash and get cash back at stores like NewEgg and more:

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 2 times.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 PM
CripledCyclone's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 114
Reputation: 50
CripledCyclone is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ONE CLICK & ODIN .... ANSWERS

I learned something new today.
__________________
HTC Evo 3D - On the Sprint Network.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 PM
djgallis's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: samsung epic
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 171
Reputation: 205
djgallis is keeping up the good workdjgallis is keeping up the good workdjgallis is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ONE CLICK & ODIN .... ANSWERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CripledCyclone View Post
I learned something new today.
IM GLAD I COULD BRING INFO TO OTHERS ATTENTION ( if ur not being sarcastic )



Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
When using 1 click root methods, those usually work by exploiting android..most android devices 2.2 and below use the same method to root..ragecage which is effectively the Droid Dream virus...so all android devices root exact same method, the only exception to these simple 1 clicks is HTC and Motorola. Those require their own rooting methods.

Now 2.3 also fixes the droiddream exploit..the problem you have with evo shift is evo shift and other newer HTC phones have a locked and signed bootloader + recovery image..that means every time there is an official update..to make use of it you need to do unsign the bootloader and etc..this is a lot of work..cause if its still signed..the moment you find an exploit and root your phone, then reset your phone your exploit will be erased due to the signed recovery image.

Samsung devices are not locked+signed..hence what we have is the "odin" method..aka we take a modified kernel/recovery and flash it via odin thus achieving easy root..all samsung phones are 100% rootable using this method, you don't even need an exploit.


The principle behind 1 clicks roots requires that there be "minimum" or "no" room for error..all 1 click root is, is a batch job performing multiple tasks..now imagine if in the middle something goes wrong? the 1 click has to be programmed to account for that. Some processes are too complex even for just a "1 click"..

And yes, other brands have similar tools such as nvidia has NVFlash, HTC has their RUU and etc..but from my experience Odin is the easiest one to use as far as having control.

1) Does samsung give a reason y they dnt lock or sign there bootloader making it easy for u guys to do what u do ..........

2) didn HTC unlock or are unlocking there bootloaders from now on, on all devices or was that only for 3D evo

3) to ur point of samsung neva locking it ... i mean shouldnt it give u guys or even ppl, ( users ) like me to want to stay with samsung just the fact thaT we get 1 CLICK & ODIN saving us time hence 1 CLICK & problems sustained hence ODIN ( BASICALLY A DEVS DREAM ) even tho updates for our epic is sucking right now



WELL TO THIS INFO.. i think the common folk would want to stick to devices using 1 click or ODIN methods .. i think if i had a phone that didnt use odin it would suck how do they change back to stock to look at a NEW rom ... OH WELL really dnt care for that answer now ...

quest brought up for the fact that all these new phones are coming out i want to stick to something that really has the ODIN factor .. cause that saves us all time n pain ..


THANK YOU GTEN

Last edited by djgallis; 09-16-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2011, 07:36 PM
gTen's Avatar
"The Fuzzy One"
Offline
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Internet
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,855
Reputation: 9080
gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: ONE CLICK & ODIN .... ANSWERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallis View Post

1) Does samsung give a reason y they dnt lock or sign there bootloader making it easy for u guys to do what u do ..........
Are you trying to ask if there is an advantage to a locked bootloader?

Samsung response on the bootloader is simple, they won't do it unless Google requires them. My guess is HTC is locking them to cut down on warranty claims from people..To samsung warranty claims aren't as much of an issue since samsung makes most of the components inside themselves anyways.

Quote:
2) didn HTC unlock or are unlocking there bootloaders from now on, on all devices or was that only for 3D evo
Nope, all HTC devices will come locked and signed...all HTC is giving you is a URL where you can unlock your bootloader at which time you void your warranty

Quote:
3) to ur point of samsung neva locking it ... i mean shouldnt it give u guys or even ppl, ( users ) like me to want to stay with samsung just the fact thaT we get 1 CLICK & ODIN saving us time hence 1 CLICK & problems sustained hence ODIN ( BASICALLY A DEVS DREAM ) even tho updates for our epic is sucking right now
Yes and no.. realistically speaking Samsung is definitely more dev friendly with bootloaders, odin and actually releasing source code on time. The advantages HTC has though is that a lot of people are more used to working with HTC devices then samsung devices. Also the issue with samsung comes with the "cdma barrier"..

effectively when using snapdragon processors you get the cdma and gsm modems built into the processor. Thus making code easier to port between gsm and cdma models..also a lot of the HTC devices use same components making it easier to reuse code..with the case of our Epic for example, we use a Qualcomm motherboard and our Hummingbird processor..the GSM versions use a completely different motherboard. As you can guess this makes it harder for us to reap benefits from GSM...though I heat next processor they wont need to use 3rd party motherboard due to their recent partnership witha few japanese companies.

So each has their advantages and disadvantages..so far development for Samsung has really gone up a notch with every generation.

PS..Samsung isn't really that slow with updates..they just slow in the US..outside of US they probably have more updates then any other manufacturer.
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Tags
ca

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com