PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Re: official GB when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
I'm thinking we all just got a bad radio in this phone and they won't release an update (if they release it at all) until the very end of it's life. This way they can just say, "we don't support it anymore it's EOL".

I visited about 8 Sprint stores in the Philadelphia suburbs area recently over a months time, and on the phones went to:

-Settings
-About Phone
-Status

On this screen I looked at the Signal strength line

I did this on the Epic, Epic II, Photon, Conquer and used ## codes on the HTC phones and you know what I found?

For some reason my Epic and the stores Epic's are somewhere between -7dBm and -10dBm WORSE then every other phone there. The actual numbers on the other phones are about -76dBm and on all the Epics were -83dBm through -86dBm.

The Epic was in the middle of the displays and the phones farthest from the back of the shop, probably where the AIRAVE was still had a much better signal.

I'm curious if all the phones are this bad or just my region, needless to say I think it's a hardware problem at this point and no version of Gingerbread is going to fix our CDMA chipsets, the GSM radios don't seem as screwed up as ours and that's why overseas has had Gingerbread for months now...

Just my 2 cents...
I am currently showing my signal strength between -91 dBm and -106 dBm. 0 asu.

I'm not a EE so I really don't know what that means. Are my numbers good?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: official GB when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
I am currently showing my signal strength between -91 dBm and -106 dBm. 0 asu.

I'm not a EE so I really don't know what that means. Are my numbers good?
Neither am I...

However the lower the number the better the signal. I've seen full bars around -76dBm and the phone loses the signal at around -106dBm. So no, that is the bottom of the signal range to have a working phone. It also depends where you are in relations to the cell tower as well to have that signal level, you seem pretty far away to have that number. If that's your house -91 will give you voice most likely but data will be slow, if it exists at all on this phone...
Old 09-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Talking Re: official GB when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
Neither am I...

However the lower the number the better the signal. I've seen full bars around -76dBm and the phone loses the signal at around -106dBm. So no, that is the bottom of the signal range to have a working phone. It also depends where you are in relations to the cell tower as well to have that signal level, you seem pretty far away to have that number. If that's your house -91 will give you voice most likely but data will be slow, if it exists at all on this phone...
I only have 3 bars at this moment in my office, my signal strength fluctuates from -106 dBm to -91 dBm....

The lower the "absolute" number the better? When you stated the lower the number, I looked at the (-) and thought -106 is lower than -91. lol!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
I only have 3 bars at this moment in my office, my signal strength fluctuates from -106 dBm to -91 dBm....

The lower the "absolute" number the better? When you stated the lower the number, I looked at the (-) and thought -106 is lower than -91. lol!
The number closer to 0 is the better number to have. -91 is closer to 0 then -106 is for example. I forget what absolute means, unless you are referring to 0 in which you are ABSOLUTELY right!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

garage_man is a n00b

I'm gonna chime in here and say that a while back with my old touch pro 2 i looked into them numbers and what they actually meant. From all the articles I read around 100db is almost no service. The closer to 60ish is full service. The bars on your phone don't matter the slightest. It is the db numbers that play a role. That being said my epic sits around 97-106db all day. My TP2 through verizon pulled lower 80's in the same spot. With verizon i was able to have a almost constant 3MB connection through that phone. My epic on the other hand manages to get around dial-up speeds.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

WanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuff

OK...
Heard any good rumors or inside info about the overdue official GB release lately?

I'm relatively happy running my EG22 leak with Chris's kernel and an EH06 modem. But I'd like to see the real thing show up while anyone might still be interested in cooking up something really wild with it. Particularly since I'm married (not unhappily) to my Epic for another year.

News, anyone?
Old 10-08-2011, 06:16 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/14.0.835.202 Safari/535.1)

Im also waiting for official GB to be released for this phone is way overdue. Sammy/sprint need to release the source and let the developers have a crack at it which most likely do better things with it then sammy/sprint will.

Only thing newer than EG22 is EH17 heard many say its better than EG22 but to everyone their own opinion..

Old 10-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker

This GB update is taking so long that I am thinking about buying a new Epic (comes with GB) for my wife, then trading phones with her. Lol
Old 10-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust
Pocket PC: Tin Can ^^)
Carrier: Verizon

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)

^^^ ... Every wife's secret fear!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:05 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/14.0.835.202 Safari/535.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell
^^^ ... Every wife's secret fear!

LOL he could just say that it has some issues like LOS or bad battery life (yeah right) and that way she would want to trade..LOL

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G