PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: WiFi HotSpot - To Root or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblack View Post
Heck! buy yourself an another sprint phone or a 4G wireless card. Might as well cancel your service with Cable Vision/ Time Warner.
I have 2 phones for myself..a TP2 and an Epic...Ironically its more economic to use a phone rather then a wireless card...simply because wireless cards/mifi still limit 3g to 5gb cap and you pay if you go over them..on cell phones there is no such thing...

As for canceling optimum online, nah I like my 30mbps connection..as I siad its for personal use..and this is for business use..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 12-21-2010, 01:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo750,HTC Touch PRO, DIAMOND, Palm Pre, Epic 4G
Carrier: AT&T and SPRINT

youngblack is keeping up the good workyoungblack is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
I have 2 phones for myself..a TP2 and an Epic...Ironically its more economic to use a phone rather then a wireless card...simply because wireless cards/mifi still limit 3g to 5gb cap and you pay if you go over them..on cell phones there is no such thing...

As for canceling optimum online, nah I like my 30mbps connection..as I siad its for personal use..and this is for business use..
You are right on the subject for wireless cards with the 5gb cap on it. But if you're in 4G coverage there's no cap. Since you're in NYC, do you live in the 4G coverage?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:32 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
You are right on the subject for wireless cards with the 5gb cap on it. But if you're in 4G coverage there's no cap. Since you're in NYC, do you live in the 4G coverage?
Yes I do, but as I said I travel often enough to warrant it :/
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo750,HTC Touch PRO, DIAMOND, Palm Pre, Epic 4G
Carrier: AT&T and SPRINT

youngblack is keeping up the good workyoungblack is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Yes I do, but as I said I travel often enough to warrant it :/
Assuming you travel alot in NYC... you could be a taxi cab driver who knows...?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:08 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Assuming you travel alot in NYC... you could be a taxi cab driver who knows...?
Let me rephrase that, I travel a lot around the country >.>

And I will stop you right here before you say truck driver lol
Old 12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Threadstarter

yahknow1 is just getting started

I hope I didn't ask the wrong question? Here is my worst fear: I Root my phone and after a month of using data from my laptop I look at my bill and it reads that I owe $1200 because of some $$/Kb that I used tethered to a laptop device. Then I proceed to spend countless hours trying to talk to someone and plead/beg my bill down to something I can afford...

Is this valid concern or does rooting totally take this out of the equation?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:15 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahknow1 View Post
I hope I didn't ask the wrong question? Here is my worst fear: I Root my phone and after a month of using data from my laptop I look at my bill and it reads that I owe $1200 because of some $$/Kb that I used tethered to a laptop device. Then I proceed to spend countless hours trying to talk to someone and plead/beg my bill down to something I can afford...

Is this valid concern or does rooting totally take this out of the equation?
They cannot charge you for data..its not part of your contract...so unless you plan on tethering in another country nothing will end up on your bill..as I said I have been tethering since the Apache (Thats over 5 years already)..and never had any problems once...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:52 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

gTen are the tethering speeds better on the epic with 2.2 than they are when you are using stock 2.1 rooted?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
gTen are the tethering speeds better on the epic with 2.2 than they are when you are using stock 2.1 rooted?
Are you talking about 3g speeds or 4g speeds? if you mean 4g they are the same..as for 3g..well as I said before I got better speed tests using the MobileAP over android wifi tether which doesn't work with Froyo yet until there is an official release..
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:00 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you talking about 3g speeds or 4g speeds? if you mean 4g they are the same..as for 3g..well as I said before I got better speed tests using the MobileAP over android wifi tether which doesn't work with Froyo yet until there is an official release..
I've been using the wifi tether pre9 on my epic running froyo and it works great. Which one are you saying doesn't work?

Sent from an Epic 3G on SERO!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G