PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 09:11 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Gten and all the EPIC 4g owners

Cool i think im gonna give it a try
After i get it what should be the first thing i do to it?

hey lucjoe i see you use the tp2 on boost did you happen to use my guide to do that?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

LucJoe is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
what are the benefits/negatives of Amoled/Super Amoled
Mainly brightness and visibility in direct sun.

Super AMOLED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Super AMOLED improved on these two weaknesses, but they're still not up to current LCD standards.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best screen I've ever laid my eyes on. I'd pick the 4" Super AMOLED over any of the competition today (3.5" IPS LCD iPhone or 4.3" LCD Evo) and it was one of the major selling points in the Epic for me.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff

Ive heard that i can use it directly in the sun without any visibility problems is that true?

Also the epic is supposed to have a anti scratch screen?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

LucJoe is just getting started

Quote:
Ive heard that i can use it directly in the sun without any visibility problems is that true?

I've never had any problems in the sun. People complain about it as a core problem of super AMOLED but I really don't see it...

And yes, the screen is Gorilla Glass, very resistant to scratches...

YouTube - <- Fairly ridiculous video, but still some good shots of the gorilla glass screen being tested
Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:

Its fine in sunlight..unless you put on a screen protector that effects the visibility in sunlight..otherwise I'd say its as good as lcd..maybe a little bit less..

Yes it Gorilla Glass that makes it tough stuff..but its still glass..aka you can take a screw and smear it over and it won't scratch..but if it gets cut from a certain angle or comes in contact with certain stuff it can get scratched.

The downsides are:

1) PenTile Matrix - Generally not a problem but there are 1 in a 100 who cant stand it

2) OLED in certain situations can degrade unevenly leaving a trace (like displaying a still image for a long period of time)..its not exactly temporary..neither is it permanent..but you should know about it...The color green is the least likely to be effected...blue is more effected. Lifespan of oled is as follows...B=1x, R=2x, G=4x...1x=50,000 hours...OLEDs unlike LCDs dont burn out though they just fade the more you use them..so its not like it wont work..it'll just be half brightness

3) Energy use is as follows R=1x, G=2x, B=3x in energy use..white is made by turning on all colors..thus 6x

4) Its over saturated..but that kinda makes it look better then worse lol

The scenarios above though are not exactly a "common" problem but does effect people who for example use their phoen as a dock with leaving their screens on for a whole day...or those who want a pure white theme and etc..

There are of course a lot of benefits to super amoled as well which amke it well worth it.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 11-13-2010, 11:00 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

50K hours is not bad by that time there should be a newer phone
Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
50K hours is not bad by that time there should be a newer phone
Supposedly Samsung is already working on the Galaxy S2 line. Don't know much about it other than its going to have a 2Ghz processor. Should be out late summer 2011.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:30 PM
ACSyndicate.net
Pocket PC: Epic

flyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Skype™ to flyers2114

I will keep it simple.............best phone I have ever owned hands down.....and I really loved my TP2.......you will not regret it.........I have recommended it to a few people and they all love it.....
Old 11-15-2010, 05:06 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

Flash_C4 is just getting started

I went from the TP2 to the Epic and since I had the Epic on loan from my corporate Sprint rep for 60 days I was able to carry the phones side by side. Being able to do this I was able to determine how bad the performance on the TP2 really was. It was nice to be able to do something without having to wait and wait and wait before the phone would respond. I know a lot of this has to do with different hardware specs but it also has to do with Android VS WinMo 6.5. I did really like the keyboard on the TP2 more than the one on the Epic at first but I think part of that was because I had been so used to the TP2 because the on screen keyboard sucked so bad. Now that I have gotten good with Swype the only time I seem to use the physical keyboard is when I'm using SSH or something else that is related to remote system access. I don't think you will regret getting the Epic. I'm also amazed at some of the posts I have read on the Internet about the Epic and how terrible it is. I saw one post that said he was afraid to give it to his parents to use as a phone because it was so unreliable. These kind of comments are flat out crap. If someone is having that much problem with the Epic they either have a defective phone or they've managed to screw it up rooting it and/or have installed some piece of crap software. I do however have a couple of gripes about the Epic so it's not quite the "perfect girlfriend" but it comes close. Battery life, which is pretty much a given with any smart phone, and the GPS issue and it sometimes taking a long time to get a lock.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

big3etr is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to big3etr Send a message via MSN to big3etr Send a message via Yahoo to big3etr

YES IT IS. I left my TP2 for the Samsung Moment. I needed out of WM. It's old busted software. Android is the way to go. I have the leaked 2.2 from XDA and I have ZERO issues so far. rumors have it, tonight is the night for the official 2.2 update, but who knows. I would make that step UP and not look back.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G