PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

just want to thank those such as gten, darren, & others that helped me out through my epic related issues & questions in the past 8 months. I'm done with sprint & obviously the epic. while many of u love the device, its keyboard is a failure which is the main reason I got it. all 9 I've been through had the input issue, my sisters has the input issue, every demo has the issue & every supposed fix didn't work .. I'm a believer that u folks that claim not to have issue r in denial because u stand behind the device because u own it or use swype n don't care. . not y I'm done but just had to get that last bit of epic hate off my chest lol ... seriously tho thanks to all those that assisted me over the months. now I'm on a very similar device, galaxy s 4g or w.e the hell its called . . if the test drive goes well ill keep it
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Re: epic days r gone

you do know there is a supposed keyboard fix. if your talking about the hard kb skipping keys all you have to do is change the repeat intreval using terminal emulator. here is a quote from xda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkasick View Post
3/23/11:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkasick View Post
Alternate "timer delay" patch:

Also attached is an alternate patch that supercedes the original. It allows for runtime configuration of the keypad_timer delay via a sysfs exported timer_delay variable.

The current delay may be read with:
Code:
cat /sys/devices/platform/s3c-keypad/timer_delay
and a new delay may be set with:

Code:
echo N > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-keypad/timer_delay
where N is the delay in jiffies.

A delay of "1" yields the shortest timer, and the most responsive keypad possible, whereas a delay of "256" (1 second) (in most kernels) is the longest allowed. At that point the keyboard is already useless since any keypress results in either repeated characters or the "alternate character popup".

In most kernels (where HZ=256), the default delay is "7" (27 ms), which is the same as the original patch and DI18. A delay of "16" (63 ms) approximates the behavior of stock EB13/EC05.

Basically, the delay is the minimum amount of time one must hold a key down for a keypress to register. It's also the maxmimum time the kernel believes a key is "held down" after it's let go. For example, with a delay of "7" one must hold a key down for 27 ms to register as pressed, and no-more-than 55 ms later does the key register as being released.

Or for a better example, with a delay of "128" one must hold a key down for half a second, and once registered, the key is "held down" for an additional half a second. Which almost guarantees an application-level repeated keypress or the alternate character popup.

Ideally one would start with a delay of "7" and reduce by one until the timer is fast enough for your typing rate that you no longer have dropped keypresses. Although many folks will find that a delay of "7" is fast enough for them.

Mirror link (does not require forum login):
Original patch: epic_keypad_timer_fix-EB13.diff
Timer delay patch: epic_keypad_timer_delay-EB13.diff
worked great for me. i know you came from winmo, are you not willing to tweak the device a little bit to your liking?

Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 AM

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

hey look. i even found a second fix that uses a flashable zip. you dont even have to use terminal.
located here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1025533
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimpaler747 View Post
Even though most customs roms now have the wonderful keyboard patch posted by mkasick here, I've found that almost all of them still drop keys. But, with some experimenting, I believe I've found the perfect value to set the key timer at

If you want to make these settings stick at boot, flash my handy dandy zip attached to this post. Credit to the method goes to user_none. If you flash and still get occational dropped keys, it's because you're a typing beast. Flashing the speed demon version should fix it 100% for you

If you want to do it manually, or try it out first, use the command below:

• Download terminal emulator from the market
  • Open it up
  • Code:
    su
    echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-keypad/timer_delay
  • Should be good! Marvel in the ability to type as fast and accurately as you'd like on the Epic's keyboard

If this Impaled tip has helped you, toss me a thanks

Need a how-to? Big thanks to qbking77 for this video guide!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:18 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpringz View Post
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

just want to thank those such as gten, darren, & others that helped me out through my epic related issues & questions in the past 8 months. I'm done with sprint & obviously the epic. while many of u love the device, its keyboard is a failure which is the main reason I got it. all 9 I've been through had the input issue, my sisters has the input issue, every demo has the issue & every supposed fix didn't work .. I'm a believer that u folks that claim not to have issue r in denial because u stand behind the device because u own it or use swype n don't care. . not y I'm done but just had to get that last bit of epic hate off my chest lol ... seriously tho thanks to all those that assisted me over the months. now I'm on a very similar device, galaxy s 4g or w.e the hell its called . . if the test drive goes well ill keep it
Well its not really denial as it depends on how fast you type...for me personally I never experienced keyboard issues in Eclair...but they were pretty bad once Froyo came about...which was then fixed with the custom kernel and the kb fix installed.

The latest version of the KB fix lets you set your own timeout values..this way you can make it match your typing rate accordingly.

But anyways, wish you luck with your new Galaxy device! (I am presuming the Vibrant 4G?)

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 04-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
But anyways, wish you luck with your new Galaxy device! (I am presuming the Vibrant 4G?)
this also!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

yea vibrant 4g, switched providers due to work . . . . . well those keyboard fixes I haven't tried as my phone tweaking time has been limited with a newborn & now the switch .. one really shouldn't have to do all that tweaking for for the kb since its something that should work flawless out of the box considering one of its key advertised features is kb . . lol . the colors & screen of the epic are amazing tho so losing a keyboard for sweet screen turned out to b ok . . thus y I'm using the device I am now
Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

thanks hope I get some luck with this device lol
Old 04-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

I kinda agree with the OP. shouldn't have to tweak the device to get something as simple as a keyboard to work. I had no keyboard issues in my TP,TP2 and now arrive even tho I barely even use it. only thing u should have to tweak for is for faster performance, tethering, and removing carrier crapware. what carrier did u switch to from sprint?t mobile? im thinking about switching to them because the $250 credit offer they have seems very tempting especially since my sprint service has been really shitty in my home town for the past almost 3 months now. they say its because they are removing,replacing ,upgrading and repairing cell sites but I really cannot stand it that my 3G is crawling and that my battery dies within 2 hours anymore
Old 04-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

yea tmobile. they gave me the phones at the same price as lowest available on the web with the exception of wirefly .. I saved a decent amount compared to advertised new 2 yr deals. only happened because I brought up how I seen better online pricing n the sales chick said most ppl don't bring it up n pay normal . . im in nj where generally signal is decent . . I can't believe the speeds I'm seeing
Old 04-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

what are they with 3G? because where I live I was getting 900 to 1100 before the blizzard hit which screwed the towers which to this day still is not fixed.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G