PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   [ROM] midNIGHT ROM v5.3 EXT4 (Awareness Edition) & BYOR Edition 05/15/2011 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=141181)

ptfdmedic 04-03-2011 07:27 PM

Re: [ROM] midNIGHT ROM v5.1 (BYOR Edition)/(FULL Standard Edition) 3/31/2011

New .zips posted on the blog:

HTC Thunderbolt Fonts
HTC Thunderbolt Calculator
Fascinate Email

See my twitter for screens: @midNIGHT_ROM

revaaron 04-03-2011 09:06 PM

I feel ever so honored.

darren.wlsn1 04-04-2011 03:04 PM

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/off-topic/...ess-month.html

guys please post your thoughts or links to what your town is doing for autism month. thanx guys, i wanna keep this thread i started bumped so people other than us can read about autism.

djfujiyama 04-04-2011 11:05 PM

Was putting off the upgrade to 5.0 but recently got the boot loop again. It seems to happen completely randomly but mostly when I'm out at a bar or something. Murphy's law i guess. This is literally the 3rd time this has happened in the evening when I'm away from the computer.

Last time it happened a couple of weeks back. Prior to that it was 3 weeks before. Basically i pull my phone out of my pocket randomly and it's showing the boot animation. Except it sits there forever trying to boot. You can feel it vibrate every so often which i guess is when it's looping. A soft reset just puts it right back in the loop.

I've had this issue since at least midnight version 2 or so. I've tried wipe 3x, going back to stock, ODINing stock roms, and just about everything else.

Gonna try 5.2 but I expect it to boot loop again in a few weeks.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I've tried everything I can think of. It seems to be fine for about 2-3 weeks then happens again spontaneously. Usually when it's in my pocket not being used, and usually when battery is less than 30%.

Been on EXT4 Journaling for most of that time, though i think it was happening on RFS too.

Any help or ideas would be awesome. I'm almost ready to just permanently go back to stock to get rid of this. Every few weeks I have to randomly redo everything.

shane6374 04-04-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfujiyama (Post 2079755)
Was putting off the upgrade to 5.0 but recently got the boot loop again. It seems to happen completely randomly but mostly when I'm out at a bar or something. Murphy's law i guess. This is literally the 3rd time this has happened in the evening when I'm away from the computer.

Last time it happened a couple of weeks back. Prior to that it was 3 weeks before. Basically i pull my phone out of my pocket randomly and it's showing the boot animation. Except it sits there forever trying to boot. You can feel it vibrate every so often which i guess is when it's looping. A soft reset just puts it right back in the loop.

I've had this issue since at least midnight version 2 or so. I've tried wipe 3x, going back to stock, ODINing stock roms, and just about everything else.

Gonna try 5.2 but I expect it to boot loop again in a few weeks.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I've tried everything I can think of. It seems to be fine for about 2-3 weeks then happens again spontaneously. Usually when it's in my pocket not being used, and usually when battery is less than 30%.

Been on EXT4 Journaling for most of that time, though i think it was happening on RFS too.

Any help or ideas would be awesome. I'm almost ready to just permanently go back to stock to get rid of this. Every few weeks I have to randomly redo everything.

I might try midNIGHT 5.1 Ext4 with journaling on.

abednego 04-05-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abednego (Post 2078439)
First of all - a big thank you for the amazing ROM.

Still on 4.2, but loving it. I read the changelog - and a lot of it does not make sense. Has there been any notable battery improvements with 5.1? I'm sure my limited battery is mostly due to the way I use the phone... but would still appreciate feedback.

I'm sitting at about 37% battery - and it's been ~8 hrs since last charge. I have not really used my phone much today. Few texts, no calls, and a few games. When I select "Battery Usage" it shows my display eating up~90% :(

Under Settings / Display... I have it automatically select the brightness. Power saving mode is checked... and my screen timeout is only set to 30 sec. Am I missing anything else?

How big of a strain does Live Wallpapers cause on the CPU? I doubt thats an issue, due to the screen taking up 90% of my battery...

I still want to revisit the above post.

Is it typical for the display to suck up most of the battery?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2078830)
Are you on 64bit windows? if so thats the wrong drivers...also by usb tether are you using pda-net or the android usb tether?

Really odd situation. I would install the software (no cables plugged in...) - and at the completion of running setup, it would give the error "Did not install successfully"...

Well, I tried a 3rd USB port... and as soon as I plugged my phone it, it suddenly said "Installed correctly". Odd. At least that issue was resolved.

shane6374 04-05-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abednego (Post 2080003)
I still want to revisit the above post.

Is it typical for the display to suck up most of the battery?

Really odd situation. I would install the software (no cables plugged in...) - and at the completion of running setup, it would give the error "Did not install successfully"...

Well, I tried a 3rd USB port... and as soon as I plugged my phone it, it suddenly said "Installed correctly". Odd. At least that issue was resolved.

Bro, right now the battery stats on mine are telling me 85% battery usage for the display. That's pretty typical for this phone. I still easily go the entire day on a single charge typically.

I've also had issues with particular USB ports on both of my computers.

darren.wlsn1 04-05-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane6374 (Post 2079757)
I might try midNIGHT 5.1 Ext4 with journaling on.

imo with it on its way better, i have no issues like loops or corrupt data and it helps me lots cause i tether constantly.

darren.wlsn1 04-05-2011 04:42 PM

hey rob or anybody why do we need to goto xda for rom updates? i think we should get them posted on ppcg before xda.

shane6374 04-05-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2080153)
hey rob or anybody why do we need to goto xda for rom updates? i think we should get them posted on ppcg before xda.

+1
I saw that last night. Unfortunately that's where the traffic is.

redshift 04-05-2011 06:52 PM

Well, I tried a 3rd USB port... and as soon as I plugged my phone it, it suddenly said "Installed correctly". Odd. At least that issue was resolved.[/QUOTE]

All USB ports are not created equal. Of the 3 on my laptop, only one will correctly sync with my Epic.

darren.wlsn1 04-05-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane6374 (Post 2080191)
+1
I saw that last night. Unfortunately that's where the traffic is.

so... this is where the rom started. fine with me then, i wont post here anymore.

ptfdmedic 04-05-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2080272)
so... this is where the rom started. fine with me then, i wont post here anymore.

It has nothing to do with the traffic at XDA.... I posted it late the other night. I type it up at XDA and then copy and paste the updated thread here. Sometimes I update here and then copy and paste at XDA. I happen to update the post the other night at XDA and got pulled away before I could update the thread here. The last few days have been pretty challenging at home. I never posted the Journaling on ROM over here because no one was complaining over here. Honestly, multiple releases are becoming way to complicated. The only reason I even did that was because I was frustrated with people complaining about issues they think are related to Journaling being OFF. I thought I would experiment and see if the problems were addressed by turning Journaling back on. That's it.

Sorry if anyone took it personally.... I would love to get more traffic over here because this is a GREAT site. Things are pretty rough right now so I'm more hit and miss then usual. I have absolutely NO DESIRE to to do anything but spread Autism Awareness and this ROM has just been a really good way to do that. You guys are all amazing. So please do take anything personally. I'm only firing on a few cylinders right now. Everyone is getting the best I have. I know it's not enough but I'm doing what I can. I thank you all for your continued patience and support. Sorry for the delay in updating this thread..... :(

Rob

Johnny.Bravo 04-05-2011 09:53 PM

Re: [ROM] midNIGHT ROM v5.2 (BYOR Edition)/(FULL Standard Edition) 04/05/2011

Unless you are actively seeking donations for your efforts (which you are not and never have) you shouldn't have to apologize for anything. You work your butt off trying to support a noble cause and never ask anyone for anything.

ptfdmedic 04-05-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny.Bravo (Post 2080364)
Unless you are actively seeking donations for your efforts (which you are not and never have) you shouldn't have to apologize for anything. You work your butt off trying to support a noble cause and never ask anyone for anything.

Thanks JB... I really am sorry it took so long to update this thread. I do remember where I got started.... :-)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Wunder 04-05-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptfdmedic (Post 2080347)
... I have absolutely NO DESIRE to to do anything but spread Autism Awareness and this ROM has just been a really good way to do that. You guys are all amazing. So please do not take anything personally. I'm only firing on a few cylinders right now. Everyone is getting the best I have. I know it's not enough but I'm doing what I can. I thank you all for your continued patience and support. Sorry for the delay in updating this thread..... :(

Rob

hehe I got your back Rob!

shane6374 04-05-2011 10:59 PM

Rob, Johnny, No one ever needs to apologize when it comes to taking care of there family over developing, helping, themes, or anything for a phone. I've been lucky to get to know a few of you on a more personal level through this rom and some of the projects that have come from it.

Darren, I didn't mean any disrespect towards ppcgeeks in my prior post. I would much rather be over here exclusively. I'm sure Rob and Timberwolf both feel the same way. I don't know why, but for whatever reason, we just don't get the traffic we had on the last generation of devices, and it sucks.

dja2k 04-05-2011 11:44 PM

Thanks Rob! I updated to the new v5.2 BYOR then flashed the Standard Update. Battery doesn't seem to be that good at all, but I don't know why if it was with last v5.1 build. Also the v5.0 theme still doesn't change the Dialer, should it? Great work overall!!!

dja2k

ptfdmedic 04-05-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dja2k (Post 2080425)
Thanks Rob! I updated to the new v5.2 BYOR then flashed the Standard Update. Battery doesn't seem to be that good at all, but I don't know why if it was with last v5.1 build. Also the v5.0 theme still doesn't change the Dialer, should it? Great work overall!!!

dja2k

I haven't had a chance to port my dialer over. That takes a bit of time. It's on my to-do list. As far as battery life goes it is a new kernel. I do pretty good. I've reflased about 8 times today testing another version and have 6 different email accounts polling every 15 minutes. Also twitter and wordpress running as well. I'm at 20% right now...

hc3cuz 04-06-2011 01:53 AM

having some trouble flashing this rom. Followed all steps on youtube vid YouTube - How to make a nandroid backup and restore,flash Midnight ROM and everytime i goto install midnight rom it starts then goes to installation aborted. Any help?

Johnny.Bravo 04-06-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hc3cuz (Post 2080547)
having some trouble flashing this rom. Followed all steps on youtube vid YouTube - How to make a nandroid backup and restore,flash Midnight ROM and everytime i goto install midnight rom it starts then goes to installation aborted. Any help?

I had that happen to me once. I had to Odin back to stock EC05 and then start all over from there. I don't know why it happened, but using Odin fixed it.

hc3cuz 04-06-2011 07:48 AM

Ok I used odin and phone is back to normal so now I went back into clockwork installed rom and when the rom finished downloading it sais "midnight rom installation complete please reboot your phone" So I goto reboot system and now Im stuck back at samsung screen again

hc3cuz 04-06-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hc3cuz (Post 2080585)
Ok I used odin and phone is back to normal so now I went back into clockwork installed rom and when the rom finished downloading it sais "midnight rom installation complete please reboot your phone" So I goto reboot system and now Im stuck back at samsung screen again

Looks like I fixed that problem, I was in clockwork 2.5. So now im back rooted on clockwork 3.0. Im now flashed and \\:D/

ptfdmedic 04-06-2011 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Support Autism Awareness and sport the new banner... It doesn't matter if you use my ROM or not. This is about supporting Autism Awareness and nothing more. I have to GIVE a HUGE THANKS to Johnny Bravo for this. This is mostly his work with a few VERY tiny changes by me.. Thanks JB!!!
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/x...ness450x80.png

See the attached text file for the code.......

revaaron 04-06-2011 12:39 PM

does anyone have the stock touch wiz 30 zip?
I still only have 3 buttons in touch wiz.

shane6374 04-06-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 2080697)
does anyone have the stock touch wiz 30 zip?
I still only have 3 buttons in touch wiz.

I can't remeber if it's in this thread or the previous one, but I posted it a while back. Search the thread attachments.

darren.wlsn1 04-06-2011 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane6374 (Post 2080730)
I can't remeber if it's in this thread or the previous one, but I posted it a while back. Search the thread attachments.

is this it?

shane6374 04-06-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2080734)
is this it?

That's it. I was at work or I would have posted it again for him, or linked him to the post.

ptfdmedic 04-06-2011 07:44 PM

I think they are thinking that ADW launcher is TW. They just need to flash the TW restore zip in the Extras folder. Maybe I'm missing something.

ptfdmedic 04-06-2011 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In honor of Autism Awareness month I wanted to share this. I know it's off topic but I truly feel it's important. Thanks in advance for giving me a few minutes of your time.

By now most of you are familiar with my personal quest to spread Autism Awareness from using my midNIGHT ROM or reading my Lost and Tired blog. For anyone not familiar with me or my mission I'll briefly share my story. I'm the father to 3 Autistic boys. Emmett is 2 1/2 years old. Elliott is 5 years old and Gavin is 11 years old. Life on the very best of days is a struggle for survival. My kids are AMAZING and I love them more then anything in the world.

The problem is that world is not always understanding. In fact it can be very cruel. The things I have heard people say about my kids or kids like them is disgusting and ignorant. Families like mine are very often judged harshly and unfairly by people unaware of what's on. There have been several occasions my kids have been referred to as "retards" by people in my own neighborhood. My kids may not understand what they mean, but I do. I can't explain the restraint I must show in order to not draw attention to what was being said. It literally breaks me to hear things like that.

My mission is to spread Autism Awareness to anyone willing to have an open mind and open heart. I want people to understand what life is like for my family and families like mine. My kids are EXTREMELY intelligent as are most if not ALL Autistic kids. They struggle in the area of social interaction and tend to have MAJOR sensory issues. Imagine if you couldn't help but hear EVERY SINGLE sound around you. Ticking clocks, buzzing lights, the whirling of the ceiling fan and even people breathing. When I say "hear" I mean these sounds are deafening and overwhelming as they have little or no ability to filter these things out. Did you know that's the most common reason Autistic kids to have meltdowns? They take in the ENTIRE world through all of their senses at one time and it is COMPLETELY overwhelming to these children. That is why they meltdown not because they are "brats" as many people incorrectly assume.

The way I see it is if people are more "Aware" of what's going on then maybe they can show understanding, support and compassion instead of cruelty, ridicule and judgement. I share my story as honestly as I do because I want people to be able to emotionally connect on some level. That's when Autism Awareness takes root and grows naturally.

I wanted to take a moment and ask everyone to help me spread Autism Awareness. April is Autism Awareness month. I ask that you show the same support for other families like mine that you do for me. Most of us have become isolated because no one understands. If you know anyone like that please reach out to them. Teach your kids to show compassion at an early age. You have no idea the positive impact you can have. I can honestly tell you that there have been some pretty dark moments for recently. I found strength in the kind words from people in this community. Please share my blog so others can become aware as well. Do what you can to remind people this is Autism Awareness month.

I want to thank you all for the making a difference in my life and helping to make the world a more understanding and compassionate place for my kids and all special needs kids and their families. I'm proud to be a member of this community and I look forward to working with all of you in the future. I would also be happy to answer any Autism related questions you may have as well.

If anyone would like to show support for Autism Awareness Month Johnny Bravo and I put together a banner. It's not branded with midNIGHT ROM or anything like that but it does link directly to my blog. It's not about a ROM it's about Autism Awareness. Please feel free to use and share it. I have attached the code.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...lean450x80.png

Thank you for listening and thank you for support....

Darren, I didn't want to hijack your thread you created. Do you have a good place for this....

dja2k 04-07-2011 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptfdmedic (Post 2080440)
I haven't had a chance to port my dialer over. That takes a bit of time. It's on my to-do list. As far as battery life goes it is a new kernel. I do pretty good. I've reflased about 8 times today testing another version and have 6 different email accounts polling every 15 minutes. Also twitter and wordpress running as well. I'm at 20% right now...

Yeah thanks! I did the battery wipe trick and I am back to somewhat normal battery life.

dja2k

revaaron 04-07-2011 10:37 AM

I did flash TW Restore and when I did, I got 3 buttons not 4.

dja2k 04-08-2011 03:47 PM

From v5.0-v5.2 I've been loosing connection in calls after a while; I hear them, but they can't hear me and it happens randomly. Any ideas what causes this? Thanks

dja2k

hc3cuz 04-09-2011 05:50 PM

Getting force closes alot today. "force close google application framework". Any fix?

djgallis 04-10-2011 12:32 AM

im rockin w the best ...

djfujiyama 04-10-2011 10:34 PM

I'm losing 10% of battery life per hour pretty consistently with no usage (screen off) and all radios off except Cell/EVDO. When I turn on Wifi/BT/GPS I lose 12% per hour.

This sounds abnormally high considering this is when the screen is off the entire time. For reference, I lose 3% per hour in airplane mode, screen off.

Is this normal? What kind of discharge rates are you guys getting?

gTen 04-11-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfujiyama (Post 2083086)
I'm losing 10% of battery life per hour pretty consistently with no usage (screen off) and all radios off except Cell/EVDO. When I turn on Wifi/BT/GPS I lose 12% per hour.

This sounds abnormally high considering this is when the screen is off the entire time. For reference, I lose 3% per hour in airplane mode, screen off.

Did you try recalibrating your accelemeter and using setcpu?

djfujiyama 04-11-2011 03:20 AM

How do I recalibrate accelerometer? Will that make a difference? I'd rather not underclock in order to get back to stock battery usage. It just seems like this is below-average in terms of battery life.

Wunder 04-11-2011 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfujiyama (Post 2083086)

I went about 14 hours today, Bluetooth/4G on and an hour of tethering, handful of phonecalls, texts, email, tweetdeck. No CPU mods (SetCPU freezes my phone).

There is a long, in-depth way to recalibrate your accelerometer, you'll have to search it out (try searching 'screen rotation lag fix') or maybe one of the guys here can point you to the link. I just go to the display settings and select "Horizontal Calibration" or something like that (It's at the bottom)

gdavis612 04-12-2011 10:28 AM

I just updated from 5.1 upgrade to 5.2 wiped data cache and dalvik x 3 installed 5.2 everything works fine.. i installed the standard upgrade zip after wiping both cach's the rom boots up and everything looks good.. when i go to change the background or use the camera it says i dont have an SD card installed.. the media scanner runs on boot up.. it shows the sd card listed in settings.. i can browse the SD card with my files and i can see the pictures and backgrounds.. when i open them it just hangs with a black screen... i thought it was just something i didnt do correctly so i went ahead and wiped the rom and started fresh.. with the same end result.. the only thing that fixes it is when i load my backed up data from clockwork.. then it will see all media on the card... anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?