PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 04:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyone already pick up the Omnia II?

And Microsoft doesn't do things like this? Are you kidding? They are constantly trying to make it harder to hack in to the system.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 12-13-2009, 06:48 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Omnia i910

spinwizard is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper805 View Post
I wonder how much program memory is used off the shelf? I was playing with a Tilt 2 the other day and with nothing running in the background, it only had like 40mb program memory available out of like 256! I just don't think I can go back to a phone with a ROM that the provider has cluster****ed up! The problem is that knowing VZ/Sammy, we'll be stuck with the stock ROM for a while. Plus i'm so used to having the startmenu/close buttons on the bottom (where they should be!) that I feel it would be a step backwards.
Hey GK,
The out of box stats are:
Program Ram:
Total: 140.69
Free: 72.29
Main Storage:
Total: 186.84
Free: 103.76
Just a point of information, I've allready returned mine. For me, the +'s dont outweigh the -'s. Great 3.5" AMOLED screen, still hard to see in the sunlight. WinMo 6.5.0, no flashlight, audio jack is on the side, with the power (micro usb finally) is on the other side. You have to hack the rotation to a button. And you loose half of your button options. It has an odd concave back, maybe to allow an aftermarket 3000mAh battery and back. Just my 2 cents
Spin
lioryte's base 28232 Loaded!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

After a lot of research and careful thought, I think I'm gonna go with the Touch Pro 2 next month instead of the Omnia 2. And that decision comes from weighing the 2 things that I want most from my phone: Ease of typing, and custom ROMs that remove all the carrier RAM-hogging garbage.

Once upon a time I wanted the Omnia 2 more than anything. But after a year of typing on the Omnia's cramped 3.2-inch screen, I don't think I could ever get a phone without a physical keyboard again. Sure the O2's screen is larger giving you more room to make less typing errors, but I also have an ipod touch with a 3.7-inch screen and a spacious keyboard (same as the O2) and I still mis-type on that thing all the time. And I'm not really a fan of Swype.

And the second reason I'm ditching Samsung for now is because, quite frankly, HTC phones have a much larger support group with endless ROMs to choose from via PPCG and XDA. Don't get me wrong, guys like Adrynalyne, Blazingwolf, et. al,. did the best they could with what they had to work with when cooking ROMs... but the Omnia's kitchen was like going to a junkyard and taking pieces from a bunch of different cars and putting them together to make your own car that worked, but wasn't very pretty and required lots of tweaking. As such, our hard-working chefs could never give us ROMs that were as good as the HTC ones.

Add that to the fact that HTC ROMs also have a HardSPL unlock (which cracks into and unlocks both the csc and radio of the phone), something that we Samsung users will likely never see. Plus, the HTC ROM platform is also virtually "brick-proof" And as others in this thread have said, it'll likely be a while before the O2 ever has a custom ROM.

All that being said, I don't say this to discourage Omnia 2 owners/seekers. You guys have chosen a really good phone that comes right out of the box with WinMo 6.5. And let's face it, WinMo is still better than Andriod when it comes to custom ROMs and tweakability. But I need the custom ROM fix and physical keyboard that the Touch Pro 2 currently has to offer.

I loved my Omnia. It's was the best phone I've ever owned. And guys like Adryn and Bwolf made it that much better. We all owe them a sincere amount of thanks for their countless hours of dedication. But for me, it's off to greener pastures. I'll see you guys on the other side
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia