PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia / HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

almost.infamous is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I Give Up! Ready to throw phone out the window!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogenst View Post
I saw a few other posts abot people having the battery heat up a bit more since the upgrade which prompted the response from Samsung to that person that it has happened to a few... This leads me to believe something is not kosher in the new ROM.

It's good that most here have an understanding of ROMS etc, but for those of us who are ROM ignorant, we just want the phone to work and work like it should. I personally have learned an awful lot here and thanks to EVERYONE for all of the helpful information. I FINALLY got my phone to where I liked it up until I upgraded last night. Now these few things are really bugging me. So if I seem a bit at odds, I have inverted a LOT of time into tweaking this phone to my liking.

i dont think this is an issue with the update or the battery... first off this has been an issue long before the update. i noticed it about 2 months after getting my 1st omnia. and ive had issues with it since then. second its not really the battery thats heating up its the CPU. if you really pay attention to where the heat is coming from its the lower half of the phone(where the CPU is located) not the top half where the battery is. people assume its the bsttery because there battery drsins therefore they blaim it on that. its really more of an over heating CPU issue... i dunno just my two cents on the matter
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia 910 + WTF ever crack Adryns dealing today!

Morkai AlMandragon is becoming a great contributor

Adryn you mentioned conditioning your battery. Ive read many times this is not needed anymore so ive never done it, what is your procedure to do so?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Thus, the throw the phone out the window and I am frustrated comments. Fortunately I do not have a ton of customizations. just a few contacts...
Use this utility to backup your PIM data before wiping the thing clean. It's free and lightweight.

Just dump the .exe file ON YOUR PHONE (not your PC) and run it from there. Be sure to save the backup file before you wipe the device clean, though
Old 07-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia 910

jhitesma is a n00b

Funny, my experience with the new ROM was quite the opposite. My phone felt much quicker, the new keyboard is much more accurate and Opera works great.

I am a little disappointed in the GPS. (nearly instant aGPS lock but full GPS lock takes a minute or two even outside and then only gets 5 sats max while my BT GPS can get a dozen.) I also tried a 6.5 ROM and wasn't nearly as blown away as I had hoped to be. In fact 6.5 feels a LOT slower to me and while I do like the more finger friendly menus I'm not sure I'm going to stick with it since the phone seems to be a lot less stable and the new Today isn't nice enough to let me get rid of MS3. (Using Adrynalynes Base 6.5 rom)

I did notice the phone reported my battery was going low a lot quicker...but I don't believe it really is. When I first got my phone it was the same way, would be at 50% in no time and I didn't think I'd have a chance of making it through a full day without charging...and that was with very little actual use!

But I followed some tips on here and other sites and "Conditioned" it by running it ALL THE WAY down before giving it a FULL charge. My understanding is that it doesn't so much condition the battery, but rather lets wm learn the details of your specific battery so it can report the charge level more accurately. So it's more a matter of training WM than conditioning the battery. (Though I may have misunderstood what I read and that could be wrong.)

So when I noticed my battery drop below 50% in just a few hours of use after the ROM update I figured I'd try the same thing. And sure enough after a good discharge (didn't have time to do a full discharge that night but got it really low.) and recharge it seems back to normal.

I can easily go 2 days without charging and have made it 3 before. But I don't listen to music on my phone, don't talk more than maybe an hour a day usually, and send maybe a half dozen or so texts. On an average day. On days when I do have a lot of calls/texts or play on the phone a lot...yeah, I need to charge daily. But even then since I did the "Conditioning" I've never gotten down to the 50% mark in a day even with what's "heavy use" for me.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910

mcmilliron is a n00b

Wogenst, it looks like we are in the same boat. My Omnia is useless with the new Rom installed. I've had some battery drain issues with the old Rom, and I think it has to do with my Omnia constantly switching from Verizon's EVO network to 1X, but the new Rom is even worse. It goes from 4 bars down to nothing about every 20 seconds when I'm driving. I live in Cleveland so if any of you live in Cleveland, could you please post your signal strength?

Issues with the new Rom:

1. touch scrolling in Phonebook and Programs still completely sucks. How did they not fix this???

2. Texting bug drives me nuts! Having to go back into the text thread multiple times to clear the text alert is rediculous! How did they not fix this!

3. I don't use the Omnia keyboard (TouchPal rules) but I can't believe they didn't fix the t9 keypad issue where using the I/U key pulls up U instead of I! That's rediculous!

4. Battery drain seems to be worse but I could be wrong. It was bad enough before.

5. GPS rarely locks and I've tried everything in this forum! I am tempted to flash back to the original Rom (is it available somewhere?) but I really want Google Maps and Bing to recognize my location. This is upsetting me more than anything else. Maybe it is a Cleveland/Ohio issue? I thought it might have been my MS3 that was causing the issue but I wiped my phone and left it set to the base settings and it still rarely gets a lock. I may take my phone back and see if they will replace it. There must be something wrong with it.

Maybye I'm just getting old but I'm getting tired of having to "tweak" my phone to get it working properly. Samsung and Microsoft both really need to stop releasing half ***** products. Between my Omnia and Windows Vista, I think I'm beginning to understand why people love Apple.
I am a diehard Microsoft user but I have just about had it with their half ***** products. Have any of you tried their Facebook app? What a joke! The touch scrolling is terrible. Windows 7 and Windows mobile 7 better be amazing or Microsoft may as well forget about their home users and just focus on their business customers.

Anyone have any advice on my Omnia issues? I won't flash to a custom rom because I can't afford a new phone if I brick it.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia 2 I920

07aspenx is becoming a great contributor

Just a suggestion, try turning the Animation OFF under the SPB settings. When I had this ON, my battery would drain a lot quicker.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible

jpc0480 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Well. I updated to the "official" ROM. What a piece of %^$%$#%@# Opera now works like crap. The keyboard has EVEN more lag, the phone seems slower. Getting a GPS lock is like pulling teeth, and on top of that all??? Battery drain really sucks. I can't even get more than 3-4 hours now. I surfed the web for about 15 mons. Made 1 phone call of 10 mins. Played with GPS lock for a total of 15 mons and now my battery is at the less than 20% range.

Here is what I am running. Can anyone figure out the drain issue?

New CF03 ROM
SPB Mobile Shell 3 (with battery widget turned off)

Thats it. No other whacky apps, no programs running. I applied the dialer hack and the exclating ringtone hack. I was better off on stock ROM and not worried about the damn GPS. Sorry... Very frustrated. I have the blue battery and could at least get a full day to day and a half doing the same things before this upgrade.

Help!!!
I did the upgrade and can say my battery is going on a day and a half! Coming from a TP that is amazing. Forgot a phone could make it a whole day...
Old 07-25-2009, 02:30 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkai AlMandragon View Post
Adryn you mentioned conditioning your battery. Ive read many times this is not needed anymore so ive never done it, what is your procedure to do so?
Backup your data, drain the battery till the phone shuts off. Leave it off and charge it to full with the AC adapter.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Pure (TD2, Topaz)
Carrier: AT&T

greenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuff

You do this once a month?
Old 07-25-2009, 04:02 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

Nah, every 3-4.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia