PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 01:39 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I Give Up! Ready to throw phone out the window!!!

Im in an area that has excellent signal, and my phone is idle a lot.

Mind you, browsing and talking on the phone moderately, I get almost two days.

Good signal, as well as know what programs not to run that drain your battery, coupled with closing all programs when not using them, wil go far in increasing battery life.

Anything you do that heats up your phone will kill the battery fast. A hot phone = a cpu running at full tilt, 624mhz. Thats a battery killer right there.

Reconditioning your battery every few months helps too.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

mzimmer74 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogenst View Post
And on that point, I need my phone at work. I cannot turn off the phone function because I get calls on occassion. What good is a phone if you can't turn on the phone portion or it will drain your battery??? Makes no sense to me.
Oh, I agree entirely...it sucks to turn it off. But, it's not a big deal for me as I'm a student and only work in this basement during the summer. Come August it'll be back on full time. I guess my point is if you can find out what's causing the drain (e.g. constantly trying to connect to the internet) you might have better luck figuring out how to fix it. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, just wanted to tell you what was happening to mine to give you some data points on a phone with similar programs.

One thought that did just occur to me...could it be the GPS as the problem? Maybe it's trying to find a satellite too often. You might try turning off the GPS for a day and see what happens. *shrug*

Edit: Just read your post about GPS...you are right that it shouldn't be trying to run except for when a program is accessing it, but something is obviously causing a problem.

Last edited by mzimmer74; 07-23-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Saw another post
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimmer74 View Post
Oh, I agree entirely...it sucks to turn it off. But, it's not a big deal for me as I'm a student and only work in this basement during the summer. Come August it'll be back on full time. I guess my point is if you can find out what's causing the drain (e.g. constantly trying to connect to the internet) you might have better luck figuring out how to fix it. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, just wanted to tell you what was happening to mine to give you some data points on a phone with similar programs.

One thought that did just occur to me...could it be the GPS as the problem? Maybe it's trying to find a satellite too often. You might try turning off the GPS for a day and see what happens. *shrug*

Edit: Just read your post about GPS...you are right that it shouldn't be trying to run except for when a program is accessing it, but something is obviously causing a problem.
GPS doesn't really "find" a satellite or push a signal out into space. The 24 GPS satellites in space push out a constant signal to thier exact location 13,000 miles up. All your phone does is receive that signal from multiple satellites and then triangulate your position based on those signals. The GPS receiver in your phone doesn't drain much battery at all.

You mentioned earlier that you were surfing the net and using GPS apps... Are you actually closing them in task manager when you're done using those apps? (as oppsed to just hitting the 'X')?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung OMNIA i910
Threadstarter

Wogenst is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimmer74 View Post

I saw a few other posts abot people having the battery heat up a bit more since the upgrade which prompted the response from Samsung to that person that it has happened to a few... This leads me to believe something is not kosher in the new ROM.

It's good that most here have an understanding of ROMS etc, but for those of us who are ROM ignorant, we just want the phone to work and work like it should. I personally have learned an awful lot here and thanks to EVERYONE for all of the helpful information. I FINALLY got my phone to where I liked it up until I upgraded last night. Now these few things are really bugging me. So if I seem a bit at odds, I have inverted a LOT of time into tweaking this phone to my liking.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Wogenst is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschelon View Post
GPS doesn't really "find" a satellite or push a signal out into space. The 24 GPS satellites in space push out a constant signal to thier exact location 13,000 miles up. All your phone does is receive that signal from multiple satellites and then triangulate your position based on those signals. The GPS receiver in your phone doesn't drain much battery at all.

You mentioned earlier that you were surfing the net and using GPS apps... Are you actually closing them in task manager when you're done using those apps? (as oppsed to just hitting the 'X')?
Yep! That is what makes it so strange. I learned that day one about the minimize feature. SPB has a nice little running tasks area that you can kill all running tasks. If Google Maps is still running in the background somewhere I sure cinnot find where...
Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Wogenst is a n00b

One question is if I do a hard reset, even though I do not want to, will it still keep the new ROM and return to the new ROMS factory settings? I suspect that when I restored from my back up that I did screwed up some things as on My Storage I have some folder sthat were not there prior to me restoring my backup....
Old 07-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
One question is if I do a hard reset, even though I do not want to, will it still keep the new ROM and return to the new ROMS factory settings? I suspect that when I restored from my back up that I did screwed up some things as on My Storage I have some folder sthat were not there prior to me restoring my backup....
Yes. When you do a hard reset, it will default back to the 'factory' settings on the most recent ROM you have installed.

But it sounds like you just diagnosed your own problem... Don't do a full backup/restore. You should only restore PIM data (contatcs, email, call logs, etc). By doing a full backup/restore, you are going to cause numerous problems in the registry

Also, reset the 'My Storage' as well, since this is where the phones keeps it's old programming. Just be sure to back up everything first (cabs, pictures, etc)
Old 07-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Wogenst is a n00b

Quote:
Yes. When you do a hard reset, it will default back to the 'factory' settings on the most recent ROM you have installed.

But it sounds like you just diagnosed your own problem... Don't do a full backup/restore. You should only restore PIM data (contatcs, email, call logs, etc). By doing a full backup/restore, you are going to cause numerous problems in the registry

Also, reset the 'My Storage' as well, since this is where the phones keeps it's old programming. Just be sure to back up everything first (cabs, pictures, etc)
I thought so. I was thinking of what was different and now I see what it may be. I saw others had similiar issues when using the active sync backup process in the directions...
Old 07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!

Quote:
I thought so. I was thinking of what was different and now I see what it may be. I saw others had similiar issues when using the active sync backup process in the directions...
Kinda sucks having to rebuild everything from scratch, I know. But there are so many changes in the hive with each ROM upgrade, that doing a full restore is a surefire way to give yourself a migraine
Old 07-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Wogenst is a n00b

Quote:
Kinda sucks having to rebuild everything from scratch, I know. But there are so many changes in the hive with each ROM upgrade, that doing a full restore is a surefire way to give yourself a migraine
Thus, the throw the phone out the window and I am frustrated comments. Fortunately I do not have a ton of customizations. just a few contacts...
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia