PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omina i910

iconoclast is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post File Complaint with FTC against Verizon for locking GPS on Omina (& other phones)

If you want to get heard by Verizon, filing a complaint with FTC, unfortunately, may be the only recourse to getVerizon's attention. File a complaint with SEC, it literilly takes 5 minutes to do and will definitely have a greater impact than complaining on any forum.

Here is the link: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

What Verizon is practicing is completely against fair trade practices. Whilst Samsung advertizes the i910 on their websit as having GPS, Verizon decided to lock it or operate it only their software. We the consumer paid for the phone as it was being sold by Samsung. If the GPS was not going to be available on i910 then Samsung could have simply omitted it just like they did for the video conferencing camera on their i900 product but they did not.
So legally we the consumer paid for the GPS but cannot use it unless we purchase the VZnavigator.

I am also throwing down this gauntlet to any budding lawyers who may be intrested in filing a class action lawsuit on behalf of the consumers.

Update: I posted this same message on the Verizon site and it was taken down within 10 minutes after I had received a very discouraging response from a user that this was a waste of time; seems more like I hit a sore nerve!

I am going to post this on other websites but any user here is more than welcome to cut and paste on other forums in the of hope mobilizing the Omina i910 users to achieve critical mass.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: File Complaint with FTC against Verizon for locking GPS on Omina (& other phones)

Verizon didn't become the biggest and the best network without a core of capable Lawyers...

this sounds like it may cause a few ripples in the water but ultimately the fact that the GPS is locked doesn't mean it does not have GPS...just because people don't want to pay 10 bucks a month for VZ Navigator isn't really a foundation for a lawsuit...

They will eventually release an official ROM that unlocks the GPS as they did with the XV6800...
Old 06-02-2009, 09:07 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

sofladavid is just getting started
Re: File Complaint with FTC against Verizon for locking GPS on Omina (& other phones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
...Whilst Samsung advertizes the i910 on their websit as having GPS, Verizon decided to lock it or operate it only their software. We the consumer paid for the phone as it was being sold by Samsung. If the GPS was not going to be available on i910 then Samsung could have simply omitted it just like they did for the video conferencing camera on their i900 product but they did not.
So legally we the consumer paid for the GPS but cannot use it unless we purchase the VZnavigator.
Small problem with your Logic.

You didn't buy the phone from the Samsung Website. You bought the phone from the VERIZON website. The Verizon website does not advertise the GPS to work with other programs.
Since the phone is "Verizon Branded" they have the right to modify it as they see fit.

sux... but completely legal
Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

cg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofladavid View Post
Small problem with your Logic.

You didn't buy the phone from the Samsung Website. You bought the phone from the VERIZON website. The Verizon website does not advertise the GPS to work with other programs.
Since the phone is "Verizon Branded" they have the right to modify it as they see fit.

sux... but completely legal

exactly what i was about to post.....

guys the only way to get gps to work is either use verzions crappy software or flash it. of course your taking the rsik with flashing but if you really want full gps then its worth the risk
Old 06-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omina i910
Threadstarter

iconoclast is a n00b

I did consider the fact the GPS is not really locked but works with VZN. However, that is the only application it is allowed to works with that is against fair trade.

It is true the we bought the Phone from Verizon as in the US Verizon is the only re-seller. The same transaction can also be initiated from Samsung's Omina website. Anyone reading the description of the phone is duped into thinking they are also buying the GPS functionality.

The question is not if GPS works but who owns it
Old 06-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I did consider the fact the GPS is not really locked but works with VZN. However, that is the only application it is allowed to works with that is against fair trade.

It is true the we bought the Phone from Verizon as in the US Verizon is the only re-seller. The same transaction can also be initiated from Samsung's Omina website. Anyone reading the description of the phone is duped into thinking they are also buying the GPS functionality.

The question is not if GPS works but who owns it
How is that against fair trade? I would like to see the basis for this argument before I file any complaint....

if ur merely saying it is against fair trade because you are forced to pay for VZ Navigator then this is a waste of time, but if there is some language somewhere stating "that if a phone is advertised with GPS then it must be allowed to be used with any and all GPS software" then I think ur idea would be better received...

All of Verizon's WinMo phones have been sold the same way for the past couple years, with the GPS locked to serve VZ Navigator, this is NOT a new issue, a phone sold with Verizon's badge belongs to verizon, when there is a problem u send the phone to Verizon not Samsung...GPS is not a stand alone program/feature created by Samsung and sold to Verizon, it is built into the phone and Owned and operated by Verizon Wireless...

We may not like it and it may not seem fair...but its Legal...good luck
Old 06-02-2009, 04:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I do feel for the people that are upset about the GPS lock, but as stated above, it is legal and I am not really sure the OP will result in anything substantial. It is kinds like arguing that Burger King is broiling the patty you want fried....you know what your getting from them when you walk in. Just because AT&T has open GPS doesn't mean VZW will.

All that aside though, this is also either currently or will soon be a moot point for most. VZW has already promised to unlock the GPS in the first half of 2009 (we'll see, should be soon if they do it), but even if they don't, there are ROM chefs out there that are already releasing fully operational GPS ROMs (like my Omnia running WM6.5 and has GPS working).

Good luck, and I would never discourage anyone from speaking out on what they think is right, but I really think it won't amount to much.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

lol.. The phone DOES have GPS, no? Locking it is up to Verizon... But they are legally in the right...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910 w/ Adryn's WM 6.5 ROM

KodiakClark is just getting started

Are they legally in the right? That is the question. GPS is a free service, if you purchase a TomTom then you would expect to be able to access GPS. You don't have to pay a monthly subscription fee to access the satellite signals, which is exactly what VZW is doing. True the phones are Verizon branded, but we did purchase the phone. If we were say renting the phone from them then I could see them locking features (they still own the phone), but if you paid for your phone then it should come with all of the features that are advertised from the manufacturer.

Like Syrguy said there should be a ROM update from VZW and in any case there are already unlocked ROMs out there, so who cares about VZW's update!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910 (BW23064)
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

Skyline987 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakClark View Post
...True the phones are Verizon branded, but we did purchase the phone...
Right we purchased the phone, but most of us purchased it at a substantial discount that was subsidized by Verizon on the condition that we would use their services (VZ Navigator being one of them). If you paid full retail for a phone i could consider this being a valid argument but if you paid full retail, then why not just find an unbranded i910 (do they exist? im not sure) Anyway its easier at this point to just bite the bullet and flash your phone or wait for an update from big red.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia