PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS Program Reccommendation (non-mapping)

Have you looked at BasicGPS? I use it on my Touch Pro.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung SCH-i910
Carrier: Verizon

Scotty0844 is a n00b

I use VisualGPSce(not BeeLine) and sounds pretty close tp something like what your looking for. It's free from the website.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Solange82200 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSolange82200 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSolange82200 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofladavid View Post
yes, I'm in Miami

Worked for me using the "let windows manage your settings automatically" option

Are you getting an error or just "seeking" and not finding satellites?

GPSDash wouldn't run for me. It would give me an hourglass for about 2 min, then error out with a ".net" error. Probably because I don't have 3.5 installed.

I've been playing with GPSTuner a little bit and it definitely does what I am loking for. But not sure if I want to pay all that $$ for it. :cheapskate: LOL
Thanks SoflaDavid. I have tried Google maps both with the manage windows setting and com 8 and 57600. Ive only gotten it to work once at my house. The last couple of days I get nothing even outside. It just keeps searching for the sateliites, until after mayb 10 minutes or so a screen pops up saying that there is a weak gps signal. I am going to give GPSTuner a try and see how that goes. Did you do the registry hack that makes your External GPS icon appear? If so, what do you have those settings set to?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:31 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Threadstarter

sofladavid is just getting started

I didn't do the hack, so my settings are at whatever is the default.

In other news, so far, the winners are BasicGPS and VisualGPSce.

They do exactly what I need, and they are FREE (which is always a bonus).

VisualGPS has a nicer interface, but I like the functionality of BasicGPS better. since both apps are very small, I'm just going to keep both installed.

Thanks BenC and Scotty0844 !!!!

GpsTuner was great, and worked good on the Omnia, but I'm going to try to avoid spending the $$ for the extra features if I don't need them.

I could never get GPSDash to work. Tried both versions of .NET and the program still failed on startup with a .NET error.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: i910
Carrier: VZW

bornl33t is becoming a great contributor

GCz II is in the works. It's actually better then GCz in many ways, for one it doesn't NEED GPRS anymore. And it uses a radar instead of a compass. The lat and lon values are corect. He just needs to fix whatever is causeing the cache lookup tool from connecting and it will be a permanent addition to my omnia
Old 04-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung i910

xPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:

I could never get GPSDash to work. Tried both versions of .NET and the program still failed on startup with a .NET error.
Some programs don't specifically call .Net 3.5. You have to tell WinMo to use it, not 2.0.

With reg editor navigate to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/.NetCompactFramework and change values of:

2.0.7045.00 from 1 to 0
3.5.7283.00 from 0 to 1

Close reg editor. Wait 20 seconds, soft reset.

Ted

Melancholia by Verizon SCH-i910
Adryn CF03 V2.0 8GB/16GB µSDHC
WM 6.5 Pro CE OS 5.2.23008 (23008.5.3.0)

Another Proud Member of FA. Time since last relapse: < One Day (at a Time).

If somebody helped you please click the button in the bottom right corner of their post.

Last edited by xPosTech; 04-15-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

I registered BasicGPS in order to obtain the unlimited geocach list - again it works well.

Quote:

In other news, so far, the winners are BasicGPS and VisualGPSce.

They do exactly what I need, and they are FREE (which is always a bonus).

VisualGPS has a nicer interface, but I like the functionality of BasicGPS better. since both apps are very small, I'm just going to keep both installed.

Thanks BenC and Scotty0844 !!!!

GpsTuner was great, and worked good on the Omnia, but I'm going to try to avoid spending the $$ for the extra features if I don't need them.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Lurker

Doc007 is a n00b
Lightbulb Re: GPS Program Reccommendation (non-mapping)

Quote:
Also. a tip for those having trouble with GPS.

The way GPS works, it that the receiver has to get a "fix" on where you are by receiving signals from at least three satellites. The sattelites are scattered through the sky all around the earth. Obstructions such as Buildings, trees, Roofs, etc will block the signal from being received by the GPS receiver Think about how weak these signals are that are traveling all the way from a satellite in outer space.

When you first turn the GPS on, it hunts around trying to find at least ONE satellite. At that point, the unit has no idea where you are, or what time it is, so it has no idea what sattelite it should be looking for , or where. It's purely trial and error, until it comes across one sattelite that it can communicate with. Once it finds one, it has to download what is called an "almanac". The almanac tells the GPS receiver which other sattelites are in the area and should therefore be listening for. The process of downloading this almanac takes about a minute. If you turn a corner, go under a tree, or otherwise interrupt the downloading of the almanac, the process has to start all over again. luckly, while the almanac is downloading, the GPS is still looking for other satellites and if it finds another one, it starts downloading the almanac from that satellite also. Once it has succesfully downloaded the almanac, then it uses that info to find the other sattelites in the area and determine your location based on the signals it is receiving from the different satellites based on the almanac. The almanac is kept up to date while the GPS is on and connected to the satellites.

If you turn the unit off and then back on a short time later, and you are still in the same general location, then the unit remembers the almanac and knows which sattelites to listen to so it can calculate your position very quickly. But, if it has been a while sine the unit was turned off, or you have moved substantially since the last signals were received, then the almanac is outdated and the unit has to download the alamanac again from scratch (longer time to getting a GPS fix)

This is a very leymans explanation, and I'm sure there may be a few discrepancies (or oversimplifications), but it may help some to understand why sometimes it takes a while to get a GPS fix.

Also, Googlemaps does not give alot of feedback as to what is going on in the background. all you see on the screen is "seeking....."

Most of the handheld GPS units (the GPS apps I am testing too) have a "satellite screen" which shows you what satellites the unit can see, and if they are in "acquisition mode" (downloading the almanac)

Pardon the typos. This is too long to proofread
Thanks for the interesting read on GPS fixing. Maybe you can help me answer my questions based on your tutorial...

Why not have a program calculate the location of the satellites based on user input of a cross street (if you are on a road) or a time + city/town (if you are hiking)?

I figure since these satellites orbit the earth at calculated speed along with the earths rotation. Why not have a program which can make a temporary almanac/offline almanac until a true/real almanac can be downloaded from the primary and/or secondary satellites? Wouldn't something like this reduce the amount of trial and error? Which would result in a reduced acquisition time?
Old 04-16-2009, 02:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: i910
Carrier: VZW

bornl33t is becoming a great contributor

So I seem to be unique in that my GPS finds a lock in seconds even indoors? Can some one run GCz and see if their lontitude values are negative also? The most upto date version is .32
Old 04-16-2009, 06:01 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Omnia 910

tgreenstein is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc007 View Post
Thanks for the interesting read on GPS fixing. Maybe you can help me answer my questions based on your tutorial...

Why not have a program calculate the location of the satellites based on user input of a cross street (if you are on a road) or a time + city/town (if you are hiking)?

I figure since these satellites orbit the earth at calculated speed along with the earths rotation. Why not have a program which can make a temporary almanac/offline almanac until a true/real almanac can be downloaded from the primary and/or secondary satellites? Wouldn't something like this reduce the amount of trial and error? Which would result in a reduced acquisition time?
You're right. Actually, some routing software and GPSr allow you to input a "known" latitude and longitude (or sometimes a city name) from which it starts the process of searching for satellites based on what's called an ephemeris (a fancy name for a table that lists the projected locations of all of the GPS). My Garmin Nuvi 660 does this and some of the standalone PPC software does as well.

Back in the "early" days of consumer GPSr use this was fairly common as the "time to acquisition" of these devices was pretty slow -- 10-20 minutes wasn't uncommon. Current devices can usually obtain a fix in far less time and, probably as a result, don't offer the option to input a "known" location to serve as a starting point.

Handspring Visor/Dell Axim X5/Dell Axim X50v/Treo 650/Treo 700wx/Omnia 910.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia