PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 09:01 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

sofladavid is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS Program Reccommendation (non-mapping)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPosTech View Post
Some programs don't specifically call .Net 3.5. You have to tell WinMo to use it, not 2.0.

With reg editor navigate to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/.NetCompactFramework and change values of:

2.0.7045.00 from 1 to 0
3.5.7283.00 from 0 to 1

Close reg editor. Wait 20 seconds, soft reset.

Ted
I tried it originally with the 2.0 and it didn't work.
Then I installed 3.5 with the reg hack you mentioned and it still didn't work.

I left the 3.5 and hack in place since the consensus is that it makes the device run a little faster.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

And Yes, the realy old GPS units MADE you enter a starting location.

Then they made it where it would try to figure it out on it's own, and after a few minutes it couldn't, it would ask you to enter your aproximate location.

Now most of the units don't even have that option anymore.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Lurker

Doc007 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS Program Reccommendation (non-mapping)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreenstein View Post
You're right. Actually, some routing software and GPSr allow you to input a "known" latitude and longitude (or sometimes a city name) from which it starts the process of searching for satellites based on what's called an ephemeris (a fancy name for a table that lists the projected locations of all of the GPS). My Garmin Nuvi 660 does this and some of the standalone PPC software does as well.

Back in the "early" days of consumer GPSr use this was fairly common as the "time to acquisition" of these devices was pretty slow -- 10-20 minutes wasn't uncommon. Current devices can usually obtain a fix in far less time and, probably as a result, don't offer the option to input a "known" location to serve as a starting point.
Thanks for your response.

Would you happen to know which older and/or current PPC softwares utilize ephemeris? I would be interested in trying something like this out in my area where it can take up to 5-6 minutes to aquire a fix from a cold start. The aquisition time is significantly increased while moving. (Likely due to downloading partial almanacs)

I would be interested in seeing if there is a significant difference in aquisition time by using ephemeris in my neighborhood.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia