PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Lurker

xirin is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Few questions before I buy one

Hi there! I'm really contemplating upgrading to a smart phone, and Omnia seems to look good. I had HTC Touch for a little bit, but there were things that deterred me (which I will not go into so as to not offend Touch fans).

1. I did not care much for the Verizon's data plan's price. So, can one still have a smart phone without a data plan?

2. Assuming that I don't have a data plan, can I still use Wifi to go online?

3. I remember loving TenGo keyboard. Has anyone tried it on the Omnia, and what do you think about it? Are there any similar or better keyboards out by now?

4. How is the reception on Omnia? My house is fairly old and quite a few phones have issues getting signal in the basement. Touch had problems, LG Dare does not, a few of Verizon's other dumbphones worked.

5. Is there any phone call management software? Something like "ignore unknown callers between 11pm and 6am"?

6. I tend to read quite a bit on my PDA which this will hopefully replace. How easy is it to scroll in Word? Can I use that spiffy mouse to do that or would I need to flip pages on the scrollbar?

7. Can it charge through the USB sync cord?

8. How does the snooze feature work on the alarm? Can any hardware button be pushed to snooze, or would I have to unlock the phone and fumble with the on-screen buttons like I do on my Dare?

Thank you in advance for any information!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: verizon

aleis is keeping up the good workaleis is keeping up the good work
Re: Few questions before I buy one

tryna catchup on the news but this phone will meet most of your needs.
not sure about the keyboard never used it.

Phandroid!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Omnia 910
Carrier: Verizon

tgreenstein is just getting started

You didn't specify which carrier you're using, but assuming that you're going with Verizon, they require that you get either their $29.95 or $44.95 data plans when you activate the Omnia.

The wifi will work even if the phone isn't activated (mine won't be activated for two more weeks but I'm able to surf the web with wifi) and, for that matter, when the phone itself is turned off.

The USB cable supplied with the Omnia will charge from an Activesync-equipped computer but not from, for example, a powered USB hub that is not connected to a computer. I have seen aftermarket cables that claim to be both charge-and-sync but don't have any firsthand experience with them.

I don't believe any of the software supplied with the Omnia will allow you to screen callers.

Can't answer the other quex, sorry!

Handspring Visor/Dell Axim X5/Dell Axim X50v/Treo 650/Treo 700wx/Omnia 910.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

OK...I know a few already got replied to, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirin View Post
1. I did not care much for the Verizon's data plan's price. So, can one still have a smart phone without a data plan?
Considering the only carrier with Omnia is Verizon, I can safely say you have to have a data plan (I think $29 is correct)

Quote:
2. Assuming that I don't have a data plan, can I still use Wifi to go online?
You do need the data plan, but wi-fi would work either way.

Quote:
3. I remember loving TenGo keyboard. Has anyone tried it on the Omnia, and what do you think about it? Are there any similar or better keyboards out by now?
I just looked at TenGo, and I have never seen anything like that, but the Samsung TX9 gets great reviews. The Omnia comes with (I think) 4 different keyboard layout choices. I use the RESCO one, SPB has a good one, and PocketCM is free: http://pocketcm.com/keyboard2.php
There is also another free one posted by Adrynalyne found here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60278

Quote:
4. How is the reception on Omnia? My house is fairly old and quite a few phones have issues getting signal in the basement. Touch had problems, LG Dare does not, a few of Verizon's other dumbphones worked.
I have never had a problem with mine, in-fact, I work in a radiology department (AKA...lots of lead) and have a LOT more coverage than any of my past phones offered!!!!

Quote:
5. Is there any phone call management software? Something like "ignore unknown callers between 11pm and 6am"?
Yes...I think PhoneAlarm does, PhoneSuite (SPB) does, and there is a new app being developed by Ageye (G-Profile) that profiles can be set in, so if it isn't yet, it may be a feature in the future: http://forum.ageye.de/index.php

Quote:
6. I tend to read quite a bit on my PDA which this will hopefully replace. How easy is it to scroll in Word? Can I use that spiffy mouse to do that or would I need to flip pages on the scrollbar?
I haven't used this feature, but most (and I think Word) apps on the Omnia are pretty finger-friendly (AKA finger scrolling), so you shouldn't need the stylus or scroll bar.

Quote:
7. Can it charge through the USB sync cord?
The charge is minimal with the sync cord, but it can be done. It is definetly a lot faster plugged in though.

Quote:
8. How does the snooze feature work on the alarm? Can any hardware button be pushed to snooze, or would I have to unlock the phone and fumble with the on-screen buttons like I do on my Dare?
I use Ageye's G-Alarm and there are skins for a large snooze button that pops up over most lock screens: http://forum.ageye.de/index.php (found there as well). The Omnia alarm does have a good snooze though, and I believe pretty reliable over the lock screen.

I hope I cleared up a couple points, if you have any other questions about the Omnia or apps, feel free to ask!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

xirin is a n00b
Thumbs up Re: Few questions before I buy one

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
OK...I know a few already got replied to, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents:
I appreciate it!

Quote:
Considering the only carrier with Omnia is Verizon, I can safely say you have to have a data plan (I think $29 is correct)
Yup. I just called them and they told me that too Now I have to work extra to convience the wife that I need a new toy...

Quote:
I have never had a problem with mine, in-fact, I work in a radiology department (AKA...lots of lead) and have a LOT more coverage than any of my past phones offered!!!!
Excellent. My house is plaster built rather than normal drywall, so it's all surrounded by metal mesh. And my office is straight in the middle of a basement. So your radiology comparision is very promissing.

Quote:
The charge is minimal with the sync cord, but it can be done. It is definetly a lot faster plugged in though.
With my current phone I usually plug it in to charge at home when it needs to, but mostly charge it by leaving it plugged into my workstation (plus it syncs while I'm at it).

So thank you guys for great responses, I think I'll try to get it tonight! Woo!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

xirin is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
Yes...I think PhoneAlarm does, PhoneSuite (SPB) does, and there is a new app being developed by Ageye (G-Profile) that profiles can be set in, so if it isn't yet, it may be a feature in the future: http://forum.ageye.de/index.php
Oh wow. G-Profile is my wet dream. My 4-year old will really appreciate me being able to change volume depending on time of day, as I keep forgetting to put it on vibrate at night, and I'm on call
Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I would suggest signing-up at the site then. G-Profile looks promissing, and parts work great so far, but Ageye is always working on it, and open to suggestions/comments. Also....if something doesn't work on the Omnia, it is up to us to tell him!!!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia