PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

TheShaz is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to TheShaz
Re: Now we know why Verizon agreed to unlock the GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub73 View Post
The Microsoft contract doesn't sound like a bad thing...
I agree. M$ needs to kick things into gear for their Mobile platform. The Red Fruit company has been hogging the publicity and Big Red is harping the Storm.

WM 6.5 leading to WM 7 better get a move on. I wonder if the aquistion of Altell will eliminate the legal chip battle I have heard that is at the root of why Big Red's phones are sometimes gimped compared to the same model phone on other carriers (Touch Pro is a fine example, IMHO)

GPS centric applications are becoming more and more prevelant. Geocaching, Geotagging photos, Google, Microsoft & Yahoo all have fine FREE GPS applications and becasue of the competition they are really pushing the boundries.

From reading the forums it appears that things have slowed down on hacking the Omnia GPS, so we might have to wait for VZ to issue the update. The problem is what if they are going to wait for the update to WM6.5 and toss in the GPS release? At that point it will be mid summer! I have a BT GPS receiver, but it sux having to allways remember to bring it.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

As TheShaz posted, we may be waiting until mid-summer for the GPS fix/WM update, but I have to admit...I have always beed in disagreement and a bit upset with VZW over this entire GPS issue, but I am very happy with the Omnia, and really don't mind the wait, I really think it will be worth it!!

Mind you I am not saying I am happy about the wait (it should never have happened) or any less upset that VZW likes to tweak their devices as much as they do....my sentiment omes from the idea that the Omnia is a powerful device that can only get better, and I can spent the next few months playing with what I have without getting bored, and then having the new 'toy' of GPS to play with!!!!!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: verizon

aleis is keeping up the good workaleis is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
As TheShaz posted, we may be waiting until mid-summer for the GPS fix/WM update, but I have to admit...I have always beed in disagreement and a bit upset with VZW over this entire GPS issue, but I am very happy with the Omnia, and really don't mind the wait, I really think it will be worth it!!

Mind you I am not saying I am happy about the wait (it should never have happened) or any less upset that VZW likes to tweak their devices as much as they do....my sentiment omes from the idea that the Omnia is a powerful device that can only get better, and I can spent the next few months playing with what I have without getting bored, and then having the new 'toy' of GPS to play with!!!!!
my sentiments exactly!
its like this phone is so powerful you can never stop playing with it!
i believe im a little over a month... and i knew what i was going to do to my phone...so i did it. its PERFECT!
but now i want to do something COMPLETELY different!
and i can!
so when gps gets here, i`ll ONCE AGAIN do something completely different!
IIIII HAAAVVVVE THE POWWWERRR!! (He-Man!)

Phandroid!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung omnia
Carrier: Oman mobile

aljilani is a n00b

thank you very much
Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: VZW

bitbrat is just getting started

IDK I am still pissed at Verizon for gimping the i910 on top of what was done to the i900 to even make the i910.... do you all know how much you are missing? OK there are other posts about that. I am just getting progressively more and more pissed off at verizon.

BTW like the look of the new HTC Touch HD - T8282 or Blackstone if you wanna search it up. It would be nice to get one, but alas it is a GSM phone again - maybe I should switch to AT&T?

And yes, would you believe it, just like the sig says, I am still using my trusty 6700!! Still love it - just getting jealous of the cool new stuff!!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 AM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

What are we missing?

Lets see.

1. A front camera we couldn't use for video calling. What would we do with a camera we couldn't use?
2. An optional 16gb model.
3. A locked down GPS.

Its obvious why the first one was axed. The second one would have jacked the price up, but would have been nice. I can live with a max 24gb capacity for now Besides, the internal card on the Omnia is slower than dirt. The third will be remedied, one way or another.

We aren't missing that much, really, aside from the 16gb model. Tweaking is the same, program compatibility sans GPS apps is the same, etc. I can load java apps on my phone fine, just like the i900. We don't have ROM support, but blame Samsung for that, too. Verizon does not write firmware updates.

Had Verizon been able to use video calling, I would have cared that the front camera was axed. As it stands, I don't.

I think there are less differences than you believe there to be. As for what we are missing out on, aside from the GPS, the experience in using an i900 to i910 is identical in day to day use. Despite what some have said here, there is NO TWO WAY VIDEO CALLING IN THE US at this time. Whether GSM supports it or not, no GSM carrier is doing it. The closest you can get is one way video conferencing (worthless), as a subscription service via ATT, which isnt free, and is limited to only a few handsets.

Considering how many threads I have seen with people using third party dialers with the i900, that don't support video calling, its obviously not that great of a feature anyway.

Last edited by Adrynalyne; 02-21-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia