View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Adrynalyne
The Pusher

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Now we know why Verizon agreed to unlock the GPS

What are we missing?

Lets see.

1. A front camera we couldn't use for video calling. What would we do with a camera we couldn't use?
2. An optional 16gb model.
3. A locked down GPS.

Its obvious why the first one was axed. The second one would have jacked the price up, but would have been nice. I can live with a max 24gb capacity for now Besides, the internal card on the Omnia is slower than dirt. The third will be remedied, one way or another.

We aren't missing that much, really, aside from the 16gb model. Tweaking is the same, program compatibility sans GPS apps is the same, etc. I can load java apps on my phone fine, just like the i900. We don't have ROM support, but blame Samsung for that, too. Verizon does not write firmware updates.

Had Verizon been able to use video calling, I would have cared that the front camera was axed. As it stands, I don't.

I think there are less differences than you believe there to be. As for what we are missing out on, aside from the GPS, the experience in using an i900 to i910 is identical in day to day use. Despite what some have said here, there is NO TWO WAY VIDEO CALLING IN THE US at this time. Whether GSM supports it or not, no GSM carrier is doing it. The closest you can get is one way video conferencing (worthless), as a subscription service via ATT, which isnt free, and is limited to only a few handsets.

Considering how many threads I have seen with people using third party dialers with the i900, that don't support video calling, its obviously not that great of a feature anyway.

Last edited by Adrynalyne; 02-21-2009 at 08:10 AM.